I miss trades

@radoran

You may have taken that the wrong way rad...I just laughed even harder at my Hab friend when we ended up with all three of them for Zubrus.

No, I took it right :)

The Habs "stole" Recchi from us for two guys that are being honored this season for their contributions to the Flyers while neither the Flyers nor the Habs are having a "Mark Recchi Night" at any point in the foreseeable future.

I just miss the days where I look at the newspaper/internet and seeing the big trade that went down the night before and the anticipation of the next few games with the new players. And this is not just Flyers specific but to the league in general. I miss that entire aspect of being an NHL hockey fan.

AMEN bro, amen. I really, really miss that also. I think the fact that we are Flyer fans, and thus subjected to the rule of Trader Bob and Homer made us all expect trades. While we all know, more is not necessarily better, it made for an exciting couple of decades. At any point, you could have a block buster brewing. I'm glad Hexy has taken a step back, it's the right thing to do, but geez, I will miss those wild trades. Needless to say though, turning over to much of your roster can lead to strangers playing with each other and no common bond....I think more than a few Flyer teams experienced this in the recent past.

I knew Johnny.L was money, just from watching the previous playoff year. Leclair had a ridiculous 6 OT goals that year..or was it 5...either way, the Habs don't win the cup without him, he was pure money, it turns out so was his Flyer career. Trade him, his value will never be higher certainly backfired in a monumental way for the Habs.

I don't know if that can be just attributed to the salary cap or just the points and they way it's doled out. The friggin shootout and the Flyers suck at it don't help!

The recent tear the Flyers went on 5-1-1 and they actually lost a point in the race...it's crazy once you fall behind barring a team or two having a collapse it is just hard to make up ground.

That is why it's so critical to start out the season strong every game carries the same amount of weight point wise and one day soon i hope the Flyer players will get that and show more urgency.

But with the cap i think it has created more parity around the league the teams like the Flyers can no longer i think buy their way out of bad drafting...and it is showing. They are catching on and are improving the farm system but they are behind and it will take another year on two to catch up to the good clubs in the East.

But great topic i must say.

I concur with rux, nice post and interesting thread. I'm always amazed at the wickedly accurate historical context that rad can throw into a converstation also. Part of me hopes he has to research some of this stuff....ha ha. Posting with rad is like having a built in accuracy filter....lol.

I think you hit the nail on the head with a lot of your points. You can make a case other wise, as rad listed with the trades that went down recently....but I do think the trend is less in season movement...although I do think more stuff is happening at the deadline because of the salary cap. So, while the cap seems to work against in season blockbusters (Jets and Sabres not included), it does help contribute to deadline deals. Teams looking to take on salary for assets is becoming more and more common. The way the pts are dolled out, ie shootout has an effect also.

Now I do not have any actual data to support this assertion but in my opinion the trading activity throughout the NHL season has decreased in the salary cap era.  I miss that.  Just reading the Meltzer article about the Recchi/LeClair trade on another site made me think that deals like that just don't seem to happen anymore.  Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

Agreed.

No data required for this one. Trades just don't happen anymore. You can't move players because everyone is on long term contracts and everyone is at or near the salary cap. The NHL salary floor is almost at the salary cap! It's a ridiculous system they have in place right now.  :(

If the NHL wants to have a salary cap that's fine but then get rid of the floor.

No data required for this one. Trades just don't happen anymore.

Excepting that the data doesn't actually support the assertion...

There were more "big" trades last year than there were the year of the LeClair/Desjardins trade.

Agreed.

No data required for this one. Trades just don't happen anymore. You can't move players because everyone is on long term contracts and everyone is at or near the salary cap. The NHL salary floor is almost at the salary cap! It's a ridiculous system they have in place right now.  :(

If the NHL wants to have a salary cap that's fine but then get rid of the floor.

There was just a blockbuster deal less than a week ago involving 7 players and a 1st.

There was just a blockbuster deal less than a week ago involving 7 players and a 1st.

True, but that was the first one this season (due to extraordinary conditions in Winnipeg). I'm also guessing it will be the last.

Actually, I don't mind that the teams have consistent rosters these days. It makes it easier for fans to follow the teams. :D

True, but that was the first one this season (due to extraordinary conditions in Winnipeg). I'm also guessing it will be the last.

Actually, I don't mind that the teams have consistent rosters these days. It makes it easier for fans to follow the teams. :D

Again

Gaborik

Halak

Vanek (and then Vanek again)

St. Louis

Callahan

Miller/Ott

Moulson (and then Moulson again)

That's two starting goaltenders, four top six forwards (two traded twice) and two team captains (Ott/Callahan).

Not to mention all the picks and other players involved in the trades.

Since the "blockbuster" you claim will be the "last" there has been a starting goaltender, a top 4 dman and a first round pick exchanged (not to mention the other players/picks in those deals).

And we're not even to the trade deadline yet...

Ignoring the facts doesn't make the assertion correct.

Again

That's two starting goaltenders, four top six forwards (two traded twice) and two team captains (Ott/Callahan).

Not to mention all the picks and other players involved in the trades.

Since the "blockbuster" you claim will be the "last" there has been a starting goaltender, a top 4 dman and a first round pick exchanged (not to mention the other players/picks in those deals).

And we're not even to the trade deadline yet...

Ignoring the facts doesn't make the assertion correct.

Does anyone have data on number of trades per season?  :)

Does anyone have data on number of trades per season?  :)

It's not easy to compile, but there are resources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995%E2%80%9396_NHL_season

In 95-96 there were 13 trades on deadline day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_NHL_transactions

Last year there were 20 on deadline day; 10 more the day before deadline (Wiki doesn't have the day before #s for 95-96).

It's not easy to compile, but there are resources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995%E2%80%9396_NHL_season

In 95-96 there were 13 trades on deadline day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_NHL_transactions

Last year there were 20 on deadline day; 10 more the day before deadline (Wiki doesn't have the day before #s for 95-96).

I'd be more curious about total trades made during the entire season, to see whether they have declined. The trade deadline is too small of a sample size.  :)

I'd be more curious about total trades made during the entire season, to see whether they have declined. The trade deadline is too small of a sample size.  :)

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=NHL+trades+by+season

Again, there are resources out there.

There's also a big difference between Joe Blow traded for Future Considerations and "big" trades (which was the initial point of the thread).

Since 1994-95 was brought up, I looked at 94-95 vs. last year and there were FAR more "big" trades last year than in 94-95. A rough sample, because of the lockout that year.

Using http://www.nhltradetracker.com/

There are generally 5-7 pages of trades every year, consistently, for the past 20 years.

Before that, it goes down. 3-4 pages in the 80's. 2-3 pages in the 70s.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=NHL+trades+by+season

Again, there are resources out there.

There's also a big difference between Joe Blow traded for Future Considerations and "big" trades (which was the initial point of the thread).

Since 1994-95 was brought up, I looked at 94-95 vs. last year and there were FAR more "big" trades last year than in 94-95. A rough sample, because of the lockout that year.

Using http://www.nhltradetracker.com/

There are generally 5-7 pages of trades every year, consistently, for the past 20 years.

Before that, it goes down. 3-4 pages in the 80's. 2-3 pages in the 70s.

True. There are also more teams and more players in the NHL today than in the 70's and 80's, thus we expect the number of trades to increase over time.

Lots of factors to consider. This is why I love stats. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived