I miss trades

Now I do not have any actual data to support this assertion but in my opinion the trading activity throughout the NHL season has decreased in the salary cap era.  I miss that.  Just reading the Meltzer article about the Recchi/LeClair trade on another site made me think that deals like that just don't seem to happen anymore.  Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

Now I do not have any actual data to support this assertion but in my opinion the trading activity throughout the NHL season has decreased in the salary cap era. 

I don't know if that can be just attributed to the salary cap or just the points and they way it's doled out. The friggin shootout and the Flyers suck at it don't help!

The recent tear the Flyers went on 5-1-1 and they actually lost a point in the race...it's crazy once you fall behind barring a team or two having a collapse it is just hard to make up ground.

That is why it's so critical to start out the season strong every game carries the same amount of weight point wise and one day soon i hope the Flyer players will get that and show more urgency.

But with the cap i think it has created more parity around the league the teams like the Flyers can no longer i think buy their way out of bad drafting...and it is showing. They are catching on and are improving the farm system but they are behind and it will take another year on two to catch up to the good clubs in the East.

But great topic i must say.

Now I do not have any actual data to support this assertion but in my opinion the trading activity throughout the NHL season has decreased in the salary cap era.  I miss that.  Just reading the Meltzer article about the Recchi/LeClair trade on another site made me think that deals like that just don't seem to happen anymore.  Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

I miss a lot of things that could be considered an extinct, or at least endangered species, in NHL hockey. Fighting, big players, variety in both players and teams (it's all about "speed and skill" now as if those things cannot exist with size).

But yeah, I have to agree with you about the trades too. You can probably count the number of big trades in the last five years on your hands.

@OccamsRazor - you bring a great point about the shootout.  That really has changed the dynamics of the standings and the way the league works.

I just miss the days where I look at the newspaper/internet and seeing the big trade that went down the night before and the anticipation of the next few games with the new players.  And this is not just Flyers specific but to the league in general.  I miss that entire aspect of being an NHL hockey fan. 

When I look back at the list of trades this year I do see perhaps as Gonchar and/or Perron as being fairly significant trades but that is about it.  So since the Flyers were not involved I might be discounting the number of trades this year but there have certainly not been any blockbuster type deals.  In fact the last few blockbuster deals might just be either Seguin, Carter and Richards and the latter 2 certainly did not occur mid-season.  Perhaps there are others but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

So since the Flyers were not involved I might be discounting the number of trades this year but there have certainly not been any blockbuster type deals

Yeah i'm afraid those days are gone....GMs are managing their caps now for top reason mostly the Rangers and Flyer type teams have limits on what they can speed combined with the fact that you can't just bury a bad contract in the AHL anymore and get the full cap relief maybe we should just call this the Wade Redden rule.

Times have changed, so have stategies and i don't think we'll see they revisit them....but i imagine will may still see a blockbuster here and there but nowhere quit as many.

In today's cap era, Entry level contracts on good players is soooooo important. Thus, those young players have higher value than they did in the past. You can rarely trade them for proven vets on higher contracts to "go for it" unless you are lucky with cap space. Thus, first round picks have gone up in value as well.

Long contracts suck. Players lately have seemed to start aging in dog years after signing their career contracts and some of them become near untradeable. Rampant NMC's and NTC's limit trade options even if you can move those players. They gave teams get out of jail free cards with amnesty buyouts, but that ship has sailed and now they have to live with what they have

Yeah, the trade deadline is not what it once was. On the flipside, it was the most insane UFA summer ever this past season.

I still wish to god Wilson would make moves for Yandle or Sekara, but instead, we hear about his interest in Michalek

Well, last year you had:

Gaborik

Halak

Vanek (and then Vanek again)

St. Louis

Callahan

Miller/Ott

Moulson (and then Moulson again)

All went during the season. Those are some pretty big, productive names.

Oh, and I forgot Andrew MacDonald. Or, well, would like to, anyway..

In today's cap era, Entry level contracts on good players is soooooo important. Thus, those young players have higher value than they did in the past.

Very good point.

I still wish to god Wilson would make moves for Yandle or Sekara, but instead, we hear about his interest in Michalek

Who will be 70 come next season...

Oh, and I forgot Andrew MacDonald. Or, well, would like to, anyway..

Damn it just when i had just forgotten his name....i was think damn who is that guy who is sooooo good at skating backwards all the time into his own end, does he even skate forward???

Number 47 who is that let me check my players guide! :ph34r:

Number 47 who is that let me check my players guide! :ph34r:

Number 47 in your program, Number One in your hearts!

:ph34r:

You notice he isn't even leading the Flyers in blocks (not just total blocks but per game average blocks)? Or that Coburn has 17 more hits than he does - in 10 fewer games?

Great things, man. Great. Things.™

You notice he isn't even leading the Flyers in blocks (not just total blocks but per game average blocks)? Or that Coburn has 17 more hits than he does - in 10 fewer games?

It's only 5 more years after this one.... :confused[1]:

The East looks like it is over, eight teams jockeying for position and eight already all but eliminated.

The West has 12 teams (!) still in it and only two on the outside.

So essentially there are 20 teams in the race, 10 on the outside playing for next year. You would think that makes it a sellers market withtwice as many buyers as sellers....but:

Of the 12 in the West, there are two or three bubble teams waiting to see if they are really contenders or pretenders and if they do a deal it will be real close to the deadline. For instance, Colorado could either trade for a puck moving d-man OR decide they are sellers with a Ryan O'Reilly.

I am surprised that one or two of the Eastern team also rans aren't jumping the gun, I kinda sorta understand Florida and Philly not selling yet, they are waiting to see if Boston or New York fall off and they can create a miracle. Not bloody likely but stranger things have happened.

To me the teams that should be in all out sellers mode are:

Carolina: Sekera and possibly Gerbe could land some decent prospects/picks.

Buffalo: Murray seems to be in love with his players this year and does not want to deal.

Toronto: Blow it up and start over and if not possible at least make some damn moves. Lupul and Reimer come to mind.

Phoenix: Yandle for young skilled forwards. Vermette for picks. They should get in the mix early.

Teams in need of making a move include:

The Kings: On the outside looking in with a desperate need for defenseman (are they really playing Sabre castoffs McBain and McNabb every night?)

@J0e Th0rnton The Sharks lose a d-man every two or three games right now and no moves are being made other the rumor that they are shoping no value Kennedy. SMH

Calgary, Vancouver and Winnipeg are allowing their brethren from the USA to creep eerily closer and they are doing nothing to bolster the rosters.

So four or five GM's on each side of the ledger should be working each other on speed dial. I still think it could be a big day, but last year most of the deals were done in advance and the deadline day was a fair amount of sound and fury. We will see.

@OccamsRazor - you bring a great point about the shootout. That really has changed the dynamics of the standings and the way the league works.

I just miss the days where I look at the newspaper/internet and seeing the big trade that went down the night before and the anticipation of the next few games with the new players. And this is not just Flyers specific but to the league in general. I miss that entire aspect of being an NHL hockey fan.

When I look back at the list of trades this year I do see perhaps as Gonchar and/or Perron as being fairly significant trades but that is about it. So since the Flyers were not involved I might be discounting the number of trades this year but there have certainly not been any blockbuster type deals. In fact the last few blockbuster deals might just be either Seguin, Carter and Richards and the latter 2 certainly did not occur mid-season. Perhaps there are others but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

This times a million.

Really interesting thread. I would have blamed the salary cap solely, but the point about shootouts is a very good one.

Reason #90 to hate shootouts.

Great post and great thread.

@OccamsRazor - you bring a great point about the shootout.  That really has changed the dynamics of the standings and the way the league works.

I just miss the days where I look at the newspaper/internet and seeing the big trade that went down the night before and the anticipation of the next few games with the new players.  And this is not just Flyers specific but to the league in general.  I miss that entire aspect of being an NHL hockey fan. 

When I look back at the list of trades this year I do see perhaps as Gonchar and/or Perron as being fairly significant trades but that is about it.  So since the Flyers were not involved I might be discounting the number of trades this year but there have certainly not been any blockbuster type deals.  In fact the last few blockbuster deals might just be either Seguin, Carter and Richards and the latter 2 certainly did not occur mid-season.  Perhaps there are others but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

They seem to only happen in of season.

Aside from... all the ones I pointed out...

The perception vs. reality thing is interesting, though.  When I read the initial posts, I was very much on board with "trades don't happen as much" and moved quickly to reasons why.   Until someone comes along and actually shows that it really isn't that much different.  I suppose it's the old "good old days" thing.   But before what you showed, I'd have been willing to testify under oath.

The perception vs. reality thing is interesting, though.  When I read the initial posts, I was very much on board with "trades don't happen as much" and moved quickly to reasons why.   Until someone comes along and actually shows that it really isn't that much different.  I suppose it's the old "good old days" thing.   But before what you showed, I'd have been willing to testify under oath.

I think that there is a tendency to look at trades through the lens of what they resulted in. No one particularly thought the Flyers scammed the Habs into taking Recchi at the time, or were particularly impressed with this "John LeClair" guy.

It really wasn't a "big trade" for the Flyers when it happened - aside from losing Mark Recchi (again).

It's also when player that one is more familiar with/grew up with that get traded it has more of an impact.

David Perron scored 28 last season. That's not chopped liver. Recchi scored 28 the year after he was traded.

Matt Moulson was a three-time 30-goal scorer for the Islanders.

Vanek likewise was a prolific scorer. Gaborik has hit 40 three times and above 30 five times.

The fact that the deals involved Buffalo, the Islanders, the Wild and the Blue Jackets might have made them "less important" to some perspectives, but they are big names moving in season.

And, again, that list from 94-95 doesn't have a whole lot of blockbusters even if one includes the Recchi deal.

No one particularly thought the Flyers scammed the Habs into taking Recchi at the time, or were particularly impressed with this "John LeClair" guy.

It really wasn't a "big trade" for the Flyers when it happened - aside from losing Mark Recchi (again).

I was instantly excited upon hearing of the trade and knew that John Leclair was going to be awesome [/lie]

I was instantly excited upon hearing of the trade and knew that John Leclair was going to be awesome [/lie]

Well I, for one, was instantly excited upon hearing of the trade while sitting in the offices of the Sports section of the Burlington Free Press.

I heard "Montreal just traded John LeClair..." and was somewhat saddened "...to Philadelphia" and I was elated :)

@ruxpin

I was working in New Liskard with a Hab fan when that trade went down. I knew Desjardins was good but not much about leClair. He was telling me the Habs stole recchi from us. Watching LeClair light up the Habs everytime Philly played them was a very joyful experience for me...even moreso after Recchi came back.

@ruxpin

I was working in New Liskard with a Hab fan when that trade went down. I knew Desjardins was good but not much about leClair. He was telling me the Habs stole recchi from us. Watching LeClair light up the Habs everytime Philly played them was a very joyful experience for me...even moreso after Recchi came back.

I was at 10/88 night and will be at 37 night next week (vs. Buffalo!).

When's Mark Recchi night, again?

:D

Archived