Greatest Player In Each NHL Franchise

JagerMeister

Single greatest player in the history of each franchise?

Edmonton , Gretzky

Pittsburgh , Lemieux

Washington, Ovechkin

Carolina, Francis

LA, Dionne

Montreal, Richard

Dallas, Modano

ST Louis, Hull

Chicago, Mikita

San Jose, Thornton

Boston, Orr

Detroit, Howe

Winnipeg, Hawercuk

Sabres, Hasek

Anaheim, Selanne

Ottawa, Three way tie between Spezza Heatley and Alfredsson

Calgary, Iginla

Florida, P. Bure

Canucks, Sedins

Toronto, uh......help me out here guys, Apps? Horton? Kessel?.....

Tampa Bay, MSL

New York Rangers, Leetch

New jersey, Brodeur

Nashville, Weber

Columbus, Nash

New York islanders, trottier/Bossy

Minnesota, Gaborik

Colorado, Sakic

Philadelphia, Clarke

My Opinion...

No criteria was given and it's kinda a big, broad vague topic but I will take a swipe at it with my interpretation of it using the team I follow the closest.

Tampa Bay Lightning:

Best goalie ever in franchise history:

Nikolai Khabibulin.......Aside from being the goaltender who helped bring the Cup to Hockey Bay, USA, he had the best years of his NHL career with the Bolts. Almost across the board, and the various teams have enough sample size because he spent a similar amount of time with most his teams in the NHL.

The "Bulin Wall" was the first real netminder whom the Bolts as a franchise could count on to steal games for them even if the team was down. He didn't do it all on his own....backup John Grahame did his bit to spell Khabbi when he needed it, but no question, Nikolai was The Man for quite a while in TB.

Should Ben Bishop continue on his course, maintains tenure with the Bolts and brings the team a Cup (hopefully), perhaps at some point in time, HE could be the greatest goalie in Bolts history...but for now, its still Khabibulin.

Best defenseman:

Pavel Kubina.

Sure, Pavel was a mere shell of a hockey player towards the end of his career...more pylon with not a whole lot of heart left than anything...but during developing years and into his prime, he was THE blueprint for most NHL teams of how to build a defenseman: big, strong, fast, nasty, can skate, can score and can pass.

Kubina was always put up against the best forwards the other team put out, and for some extra time, saw lots of time against the tougher 3rd liners too when the other team wanted to throw some weight around...he matched them just fine.

I am hoping Victor Hedman can eclipse him some day, and Dan Boyle came close in his prime to being the best D-man TB had, but for the overall package, Kubes was the guy you wanted out there in his day!

Offensive Forward:

I want to say Vincent Lecavalier during his 20's, but really, I think top to bottom, Marty St. Louis eclipses him as even today, Marty continues to be a very good player even at age 38. Bolts could go stretches without the services of VLC, but without MSL, they simply had less tenacity and speed. Consistency is the name of the game with MSL, and no one in Bolts history exemplified that better than he.

That said, if Steven Stamkos continues his outstanding career with no serious derailments and/or lapses in production and leadership, I can see Stammer EASILY taking over the honor of best offensive forward...and hey, he is even doing some good work defensively and as a two way player, he could be a slam dunk 'better' player than both VLC in his prime AND Marty St. Louis.

Defensive Forward:

Rob "Z-Man" Zamuner

His 'good years' weren't long lived, and he basically was a career bottom six guy, but for about two or three seasons, NO ONE in Bolts history defended from the forward position, was a threat from the PK, and could substitute for a top six guy in a pinch better than the Z-man.

For a short while, he was so ridiculously good short handed, that even when the Bolts got a penalty, fans were thinking "Alright...Robbies got a shot at a goal here!"

Shame he never won a Selke...at least my memory doesn't recall he did....but there were more "household" names who won the award while the Z-man did everything the Selke stood for... ;)

No one since Rob Zamuner in Lightning franchise history has come close to providing the kind of defense, decent offense, tough checking, and heart that that guy put out on a game by game basis from the forward position.

Robbie Z was like a shooting star.....shined fiercely, but not for very long, but while he did, he was one of the brightest at what he did!

No criteria was given and it's kinda a big, broad vague topic but I will take a swipe at it with my interpretation of it using the team I follow the closest.

Tampa Bay Lightning:

Best goalie ever in franchise history:

Nikolai Khabibulin.......Aside from being the goaltender who helped bring the Cup to Hockey Bay, USA, he had the best years of his NHL career with the Bolts. Almost across the board, and the various teams have enough sample size because he spent a similar amount of time with most his teams in the NHL.

The "Bulin Wall" was the first real netminder whom the Bolts as a franchise could count on to steal games for them even if the team was down. He didn't do it all on his own....backup John Grahame did his bit to spell Khabbi when he needed it, but no question, Nikolai was The Man for quite a while in TB.

Should Ben Bishop continue on his course, maintains tenure with the Bolts and brings the team a Cup (hopefully), perhaps at some point in time, HE could be the greatest goalie in Bolts history...but for now, its still Khabibulin.

Best defenseman:

Pavel Kubina.

Sure, Pavel was a mere shell of a hockey player towards the end of his career...more pylon with not a whole lot of heart left than anything...but during developing years and into his prime, he was THE blueprint for most NHL teams of how to build a defenseman: big, strong, fast, nasty, can skate, can score and can pass.

Kubina was always put up against the best forwards the other team put out, and for some extra time, saw lots of time against the tougher 3rd liners too when the other team wanted to throw some weight around...he matched them just fine.

I am hoping Victor Hedman can eclipse him some day, and Dan Boyle came close in his prime to being the best D-man TB had, but for the overall package, Kubes was the guy you wanted out there in his day!

Offensive Forward:

I want to say Vincent Lecavalier during his 20's, but really, I think top to bottom, Marty St. Louis eclipses him as even today, Marty continues to be a very good player even at age 38. Bolts could go stretches without the services of VLC, but without MSL, they simply had less tenacity and speed. Consistency is the name of the game with MSL, and no one in Bolts history exemplified that better than he.

That said, if Steven Stamkos continues his outstanding career with no serious derailments and/or lapses in production and leadership, I can see Stammer EASILY taking over the honor of best offensive forward...and hey, he is even doing some good work defensively and as a two way player, he could be a slam dunk 'better' player than both VLC in his prime AND Marty St. Louis.

Defensive Forward:

Rob "Z-Man" Zamuner

His 'good years' weren't long lived, and he basically was a career bottom six guy, but for about two or three seasons, NO ONE in Bolts history defended from the forward position, was a threat from the PK, and could substitute for a top six guy in a pinch better than the Z-man.

For a short while, he was so ridiculously good short handed, that even when the Bolts got a penalty, fans were thinking "Alright...Robbies got a shot at a goal here!"

Shame he never won a Selke...at least my memory doesn't recall he did....but there were more "household" names who won the award while the Z-man did everything the Selke stood for... ;)

No one since Rob Zamuner in Lightning franchise history has come close to providing the kind of defense, decent offense, tough checking, and heart that that guy put out on a game by game basis from the forward position.

Robbie Z was like a shooting star.....shined fiercely, but not for very long, but while he did, he was one of the brightest at what he did!

Stammer has to prove himself even more before surpassing VLC or MSL IMO. I mean, he hasnt even hit 100 points yet nor was he ever on pace for 100 points

I will think on the Minnesota Wild for a bit.

Been a fan of theirs since about 2005 (1995 for the Lightning)....I will see if I can come up with a 'greatest player' group for Minnesota.

Probably Gaborik, Koivu uhhh...i dont know much about Minnesota

Boston: Orr

Chicago: Bobby Hull

Detroit: Howe

Montreal: Beliveau/M Richard

NYR: Rod Gilbert, Lundquist

Toronto: Sundin/Salming

Phila: Clarke

Pitts: Mario

LA: Dionne

NYI: D Potvin

Van: Luongo

NJ: Brodeur

StL: Brett Hull

Edm: Gretzky

Col: Sakic/Forsberg

Ottawa: Alfredsson

Buff: Gil Perreault, Hasek

Wash: Ovechkin

Carolina: Eric Staal

Florida: Luongo (again)

Tampa: Lecavalier

SJ: Joe

Thrashers/Jets: Kovalchuk

Ari: Howerchuck

Calgary: Iginla

Columbus: Nash ?

Anaheim: Selanne

Nashville: Weber

Minn: Koivu

Dallas: Modano

Hull was a better player then Mikita although not by much, but Mikita did spend his entire career in Chicago. Peak lecavelier was better then MSL but MSL was too consistent and i believe has won more individual awards then VL. I dont think Luongo deserves greatest player for Vancouver, There is Pavel with his back to back 60 goals and the Sedins combine for a pearson, 2 art ross trophies and a hart. 

Hull was a better player then Mikita although not by much, but Mikita did spend his entire career in Chicago

You could make a case for either one I guess, but Bobby Hull was the face of hockey in the '60s. Before Orr he was the biggest star in the game.

You could make a case for either one I guess, but Bobby Hull was the face of hockey in the '60s. Before Orr he was the biggest star in the game.

True, but just curious. What makes you put Luongo above the sedins or Bure and Lecavelier above MSL

True, but just curious. What makes you put Luongo above the sedins or Bure and Lecavelier above MSL

Actually for some reason I didn't even think of the Sedins. Probably because there are two of them. There's a strong case for Henrik I guess. Or Daniel. Who can tell them apart anyway?

There was a time (brief but there) when many people considered Lecavalier the best player in the world. Nobody ever thought of MSL that way. 1 and 1A if you like.

Actually for some reason I didn't even think of the Sedins. Probably because there are two of them. There's a strong case for Henrik I guess. Or Daniel. Who can tell them apart anyway?

There was a time (brief but there) when many people considered Lecavalier the best player in the world. Nobody ever thought of MSL that way. 1 and 1A if you like.

Lecavelier had the better peak definitely, but MSL has been far more consistent and someone who wins the art ross twice isnt in consideration for bestplayer in the world? I dont believe lecavelier has an mvp, pearson or an art ross....

Lecavelier had the better peak definitely, but MSL has been far more consistent and someone who wins the art ross twice isnt in consideration for bestplayer in the world? I dont believe lecavelier has an mvp, pearson or an art ross....

It's subjective, they're both great players. For me, Lecavalier is the name I most associate with the Lightning. Someday it may be Stamkos.

This is a great thread and it should be fun. I limited to players that I have seen play in my lifetime. 

Edmonton: Gretzky

Pittsburgh: Lemieux

Washington: Hunter

Carolina: Francis (would say Brindy, but he is still a Flyer in my book)

LA: Blake

Montreal: Roy

Dallas: Madono

ST Louis: MacInnis

Chicago: Kane

San Jose: Marleau

Boston: Ray Bourque

Detroit: Zetterberg

Winnipeg: Hawerchuk

Sabres: Hasek 

Ottawa: Spezza

Calgary: Fleury

Florida: P. Bure

Canucks: Sedins

Toronto: Domi

Tampa Bay: VLC

New York Rangers: Leetch

New jersey: Brodeur

Nashville: Rinne

Columbus: Nash

New York Islanders: Bossy

Minnesota: Koivu

Colorado: Forsberg

Philadelphia: Lindros

This is a great thread and it should be fun. I limited to players that I have seen play in my lifetime. 

Edmonton: Gretzky

Pittsburgh: Lemieux

Washington: Hunter

Carolina: Francis (would say Brindy, but he is still a Flyer in my book)

LA: Blake

Montreal: Roy

Dallas: Madono

ST Louis: MacInnis

Chicago: Kane

San Jose: Marleau

Boston: Ray Bourque

Detroit: Zetterberg

Winnipeg: Hawerchuk

Sabres: Hasek 

Ottawa: Spezza

Calgary: Fleury

Florida: P. Bure

Canucks: Sedins

Toronto: Domi

Tampa Bay: VLC

New York Rangers: Leetch

New jersey: Brodeur

Nashville: Rinne

Columbus: Nash

New York Islanders: Bossy

Minnesota: Koivu

Colorado: Forsberg

Philadelphia: Lindros

In Toronto, you never saw a better player then Domi?  :lol:

I like your list, was just wondering about a few tweaks....Rod Gilbert should be at or near the top of the Rangers list....but it really shows the lack of true superstars they have had. I wonder if Bryan Leetch might be switched out for Gilbert....or if you wanna go back a bit...Andy Bathgate was a true great.

If you talk to any Leaf fan over 50....they would spit out the words Dave Keon real quick when discussing greatest Leaf of all time.

@jammer2 - yeah, of the O6 teams the Leafs and the Rangers are the toughest I think. Surprising that in all those years with all the players they had that the Leafs never came up with a big superstar like Bobby Hull. Keon would be understandable. How about the mustache, Lanny MacDonald? Probably not the greatest but very popular I think. For the Rangers Jean Ratelle and Eddie Giacoman also came to mind.

For the Rangers Jean Ratelle and Eddie Giacoman also came to mind.

I was thinking of those two also. I would have to seriously consider taking Reattle over Leetch, but that is a close call. I'd give Lundy a slight edge over Giacoman, but really...you have to give Eddie credit, not many goalies dared to leave the crease as much as him...not as frequently and not as far. In a lot of ways, he changed the way the position was played. Other goalies wandered for sure, but he was a kind of pioneer for the skill.

Neat story about Eddie I just found on Wiki....

Giacomin's effectiveness was reduced in 1975 by injuries. The following season, the Rangers got off to their worst start in ten years (and indeed missed the playoffs that year for the first time in a decade) and the Rangers started getting rid of their high-salaried veterans, an aging Giacomin among them. Many fans were angered when he was waived to the Detroit Red Wings on October 29, 1975 as the result of a youth movement that resulted in John Davidson taking over in goal. In a twist of fate, the next Red Wings game after Giacomin was claimed off waivers would be in New York on October 31, and as Giacomin made his debut for the Red Wings, fans responded memorably for their old hero, giving Giacomin a prolonged standing ovation and cheering for him throughout the match. Rangers fans booed their own team chanting "Ed-die! Ed-die!"; Giacomin would win that game for the Red Wings. The evening was recently voted one of the 50 Greatest Moments in MSG history. [1]"

"

@JagerMeister

Domi was a stretch, maybe poking fun at a franchise that is so fun to beat up on. The reality is Mats Sundin would be my real pick.

Its pretty sad when you are one of the original six teams and your best player is Mats Sundin, A guy who was barely in top 10 in goals, assists or points as well as never having won an individual award based on playing ability

@jammer2 - yeah, of the O6 teams the Leafs and the Rangers are the toughest I think. Surprising that in all those years with all the players they had that the Leafs never came up with a big superstar like Bobby Hull. Keon would be understandable. How about the mustache, Lanny MacDonald? Probably not the greatest but very popular I think. For the Rangers Jean Ratelle and Eddie Giacoman also came to mind.

Back in the original 6 days the Leafs kind of had the rights to Ontario kids. Bobby Orr was making noise up in Parry Sound as a young teenager. But Leafs management had no interest in him because "they had enough defensive prospects".

It's almost like they've had the same management for 6 decades.

• 2 weeks later...

In Toronto, you never saw a better player then Domi?  :lol:

LOL.  Phil Kessel is the greatest Leaf player of all time! His leadership, team-first attitude, total all-around game, and on-ice success have helped the Leafs break franchise records!  :ph34r:

Its pretty sad when you are one of the original six teams and your best player is Mats Sundin, A guy who was barely in top 10 in goals, assists or points as well as never having won an individual award based on playing ability

Yep. That pretty much sums it up.  :(

It's not a knock against Mats Sundin, it's a way of saying that the other original six teams have had a HUNDRED players on their roster over the past century that were as good as Sundin, and then they each had a handful of players that were the best in the league at some point. 

Anaheim: Teemu Selanne

Arizona: Dale Hawerchuk

Boston: Bobby Orr

Buffalo: Dominik Hasek

Calgary: Lanny MacDonald

Carolina: Ron Francis

Chicago: Bobby Hull (after a battle with Mikita)

Colorado: Peter Statsny (Sakic and Roy were candidates too)

Columbus: Rick Nash

Dallas: Mike Modano

Detroit: Gordie Howe

Edmonton: Wayne Gretzky

Florida: Pavel Bure

Los Angeles: Marcel Dionne (honorable mention to Robitaille and Blake)

Minnesota: Marian Gaborik

Montreal: Maurice Richard

Nashville: Shea Weber

New Jersey: Martin Brodeur

New York Islanders: Denis Potvin (though Bossy and Trottier could stake a claim as well)

New York Rangers: Brian Leetch (close between him and Mess)

Ottawa: Daniel Alfredsson

Philadelphia: Bobby Clarke

Pittsburgh: Mario Lemieux

San Jose: Joe Thornton

St. Louis: Brett Hull

Tampa Bay: Martin St. Louis

Toronto: Frank Mahovlich

Vancouver: Trevor Linden (tough call between him and Bure)

Washington: Alexander Ovechkin

Winnipeg: Ilya Kovalchuk (Hawerchuk belongs to the Coyotes if we're doing this by franchise)

Archived