Limiting Major Misconducts: Draft Penalties?

jammer2

I've been tossing around this idea in my head....What if the NHL was to impose a limit of major misconducts for specific teams. The Flyers are allowed something like 7 Major penalties for the 14-15 season. If you surpass this total, you have to give up a 7th round pick. Would that not clean up the game immediately? Perhaps the Flyers, wanting to keep their draft pick would shy away from playing a guy like Rinaldo. Seems to me, if the NHL was serious about cleaning things up, this might be the area to start. Problem is, Majors can fall under many categories, a team should not lose a draft pick because somebody accidentally high sticked an opponent. Maybe just make it hits from behind or attempts to injure?

Anyways, worth tossing around the idea. This would be the quickest way to put the emphasis on skill and take it way from the marginal players, and make the league as a whole stronger.

I've been tossing around this idea in my head....What if the NHL was to impose a limit of major misconducts for specific teams. The Flyers are allowed something like 7 Major penalties for the 14-15 season. If you surpass this total, you have to give up a 7th round pick. Would that not clean up the game immediately? Perhaps the Flyers, wanting to keep their draft pick would shy away from playing a guy like Rinaldo. Seems to me, if the NHL was serious about cleaning things up, this might be the area to start. Problem is, Majors can fall under many categories, a team should not lose a draft pick because somebody accidentally high sticked an opponent. Maybe just make it hits from behind or attempts to injure?

Anyways, worth tossing around the idea. This would be the quickest way to put the emphasis on skill and take it way from the marginal players, and make the league as a whole stronger.

The last Flyers seventh rounder to play any significant time was Todd Fedoruk. 18 years ago.

Before that Colin Forbes and then the immortal Andrei Lomakin. How about Tony Horacek in 1985?

The last "big" name? Dave Brown.

A 7th rounder is virtually no penalty at all.

And it's kind of amusing that the two "biggest" names from the 7th rounders are guys most likely to take major penalties...

10th round pick Kimmo Timonen says hello!!!!  :ph34r:

Yeah and Zetterberg, and Lidstrom and...

You notice that a lot of "Euros" are going a LOT higher these days than they did when they were "steals"?

That's because European scouting has improved greatly - mostly due to the fact that those guys went so late.

That was 1993. Flyers took Jeff Staples six picks before Timonen.

Oh, and there is no 10th round any more :)

@radoran  Was just tossing out a draft pick slot to start the conversation....how about a 3rd or 4th, would that deter things a bit?

Yeah, sorry, a little salty this morning (but I am wearing my Flyers colors as I am going to the Flyers/Sabres game and DEsjardins induction!)

Yeah, I think a 3rd would certainly get people's attention.

How about an escalating scale? 10+ "special" majors a 5th, 15+ a 3rd, etc.?

Yeah, sorry, a little salty this morning

Hah, quite all right commish.

How about an escalating scale? 10+ "special" majors a 5th, 15+ a 3rd, etc.?

Hmmm, that is interesting. We could be on to something here. That would certainly make GM's and coaches think twice before starting certain types of players in certain instances. I like it cause the goons would still be available for tough divisional games etc ....but the GM's would be forced to lean towards talent and not thugs for most games in general. If you did dress a player based on toughness, they would have to be sure they have a good head on their shoulders. In other words, if you were close to penalty status, the Carcillo's and Rinaldo's of the world would be as far from the ice as possible....which is what the NHL should be shooting for. You could be simultaneously increasing the talent and skill level of all teams and saving some players from potential career ending injuries at the same time. Matt Cooke, who has shown restraint of late, would play in this situation, but guys like Downie etc....they would be to big of a risk.

The change is going to come eventually,  might as well avoid the killer wave, or at least pick out a surfboard.

The change is going to come eventually, might as well avoid the killer wave, or at least pick out a surfboard.

I don't see the NHL taking fighting out entirely - there is far too much fan sentiment and "hockey people" sentiment for it.

Making it so it "counts" more might assuage "both sides" of the issue. You would have "important" fights (like the divisional games you note) but the fights after a legal hit might be seriously cut down.

Hah, quite all right commish.

@radoran  One thing is for sure, the NHL has a responsibility to protect players from the likes of Chris Simon or Raffi Torres....the only reason to dress these types of guys is to hurt people. If they were serious about getting the hit from behind or attempt to injure garbage out of the game, they would start exploring options like the ones we were referencing. It really is time to draw a line in the sand....not one more player should lose his career to this type of nonsense. You can never cut it out altogether, but you could really limit things.

@jammer2

@radoran

I think the biggest obstacle you encounter will be the calls themselves. You get a guy like Hebert or Auger who will call that type of penalty to control a game they let get out of hand to begin with. It would be tough to put your possible draft position in jeopardy due to these type of events alone due to the objectivity of some referees.

@jammer2

@radoran

I think the biggest obstacle you encounter will be the calls themselves. You get a guy like Hebert or Auger who will call that type of penalty to control a game they let get out of hand to begin with. It would be tough to put your possible draft position in jeopardy due to these type of events alone due to the objectivity of some referees.

Valid point rod. *If* something like this was implemented, the NHL would have to crack down on the liberal use of the misconduct by refs. They would have to assure they are used for on ice calls and not as a control measure, which is easier said than done. I don't know if it is realistic, but I thought it was worth kicking the can around a bit.

I've been tossing around this idea in my head....What if the NHL was to impose a limit of major misconducts for specific teams. The Flyers are allowed something like 7 Major penalties for the 14-15 season. If you surpass this total, you have to give up a 7th round pick. Would that not clean up the game immediately?

I can't say I'm feelin' it. :mellow:

Rule changes I'd like to see:

1. For fighting, automatic game misconduct. If the fight occurs in the third period or OT, the players involved also miss the next game.
  2. For game misconducts where one player deliberately injures another -- the most severe offence anyone can commit in the NHL (head shots, spearing, hitting from behind, etc.), the offending player would remain a healthy scratch until the injured player is healed.

What is considered deliberate? Think back to the hit on Pierre Turgeon after he scored in the playoffs I believe. (I think that was from Hunter.)  Think back to McSorley on Brashear. Or Bertuzzi on Moore. Deliberate = It has to be obvious.

Thoughts?  :)

For fighting, automatic game misconduct.

This I don't agree with due to it would be used by coaches as a tool to remove opposing star  players from a game. You theoretically are penalizing a guy who could have been attacked/provoked into dropping the gloves to defend himself.

For game misconducts where one player deliberately injures another -- the most severe offence anyone can commit in the NHL (head shots, spearing, hitting from behind, etc.), the offending player would remain a healthy scratch until the injured player is healed.

This idea has true merit and would help police the cheap shot/ dirty players from the game.

(I think that was from Hunter.)

Yeah, it was Dale Hunter all right, definitely one of the most atrocious cheap shots in NHL history. Dale had a very nice career, but that cheap shot against Turgeon was the defining moment of his career. Which is sad in a way, cause he was such a warrior, and had such nice hands....but hey....you reap what you sow, huh?

I want to take the legal muggings out of the game, but a automatic game misconduct.....not in favour of that at all. Many on here have voiced the same opinion....it's the staged fights that need to go. A spontaneous hockey fight is one of the most electric things in all of sports. It's something that only happens in hockey, and I'm quite proud of it. The other problem is, you would have subpar players taking liberties all game long trying to coax an offensive force off the ice for good with a automatic game misconduct. This rule could actually make life tougher on the skilled players. What happens in a line brawl, both teams play with 15 players for the rest of the game?  What if the line brawl happened early in the 1st?

It's possible the NHLPA might even try to block the implementation of this rule. It can be argued that it puts a significant risk to it's membership.

For game misconducts where one player deliberately injures another -- the most severe offence anyone can commit in the NHL (head shots, spearing, hitting from behind, etc.), the offending player would remain a healthy scratch until the injured player is healed.

Yes, agree with you and rad rod, this would be a great rule. Guaranteed it would make some players pause and stop a two handed slash before they deliver it.

This I don't agree with due to it would be used by coaches as a tool to remove opposing star  players from a game. You theoretically are penalizing a guy who could have been attacked/provoked into dropping the gloves to defend himself.

This idea has true merit and would help police the cheap shot/ dirty players from the game.

Some additional points:

For the fighting misconduct penalty, it would have to be two willing combatants. If one player attacks another player that does not wish to fight, then only one game misconduct penalty would be issued.

For the deliberate attempt to injure misconduct & suspension, an NHL (non-specific team doctor) would make the call as to whether the injured player is fit to resume play (to prevent bias). If an injury is permanent (Steve Moore), it will be up to the commissioner as to whether the offending player is suspended for an entire year, permanently, or whether they can resume play in the NHL at some future date.

For the fighting misconduct penalty, it would have to be two willing combatants. If one player attacks another player that does not wish to fight, then only one game misconduct penalty would be issued.

That would have to be called the "Emery/Holtby Rule"............which in that case I would agree with the Emery suspension. The problem you run into is most fights are not as obviously one sided as that one was. I am referring to how Emery skated the length of the ice and just flat out began pummeling an unwilling participant in Holtby.Staged fighting, hell yes. give them both misconducts and toss them from the game . I still don't mind a boil over fight to release the built up tension from a chippy game. It tends to reduce the amount of payback type plays that inevitably end with injuries.

That would have to be called the "Emery/Holtby Rule"............which in that case I would agree with the Emery suspension. The problem you run into is most fights are not as obviously one sided as that one was. I am referring to how Emery skated the length of the ice and just flat out began pummeling an unwilling participant in Holtby.Staged fighting, hell yes. give them both misconducts and toss them from the game . I still don't mind a boil over fight to release the built up tension from a chippy game. It tends to reduce the amount of payback type plays that inevitably end with injuries.

True. You'd still have fighting though (even with a game misconduct being the penalty), but it would eliminate the staged fight junk and the "fight after a good clean body check" junk.  :)

"fight after a good clean body check" junk.

Out of all the new things, this "jumping in after a clean hit" nonsense is the most worrisome trend to face the league in quite some time. Back when men were men....you (or a teammate if you could not go) would simply take a number and bide your time. Sometime during that game, or maybe the next...you would either pummel the guy silly or hit him so hard he sees stars. For instance, it was rare to see a Flyer cheap shotted in the mid seventies....simply because Hound Dog, Schultz or Big Bird would be waiting for you the very next time you took the ice. That was back when players could actually police themselves and they kept everything according to hoyle in the hockey universe. Back before some NBA slimy troll took control of our great game.

Out of all the new things, this "jumping in after a clean hit" nonsense is the most worrisome trend to face the league in quite some time. Back when men were men....you (or a teammate if you could not go) would simply take a number and bide your time. Sometime during that game, or maybe the next...you would either pummel the guy silly or hit him so hard he sees stars. For instance, it was rare to see a Flyer cheap shotted in the mid seventies....simply because Hound Dog, Schultz or Big Bird would be waiting for you the very next time you took the ice. That was back when players could actually police themselves and they kept everything according to hoyle in the hockey universe. Back before some NBA slimy troll took control of our great game.

Exactly. Get payback by throwing a bone crushing hit on a player from the other team. That's what I'd do.  :)

I think when you hit 10 majors you should get an EXTRA pick. Stop wussifying the game

HA HA HA>....was waiting for something like that...at the risk of sounding like I'm 16....you dropped it like it was hot....LOL!

Archived