Flyers 2015 Deadline Thread

brelic

Well, with Hextall moving Timonen, it's clear that he has no sentimental attachment to any player, so he'll do whatever he needs to do for the sake of the team. Before, I really thought it was a long shot that he'd move a guy like Coburn, but I don't think it's a long shot at all anymore and if reports are correct that Hextall wants to continue to purge salary, I feel more confident than ever that Coburn will be moved.

In terms of the one article that talks about moving Simmonds, the only way he gets moved would be for a gross and massive overpayment. For instance, if the Washington Capitals came calling, it would mean Kuznetsov, Burakovsky and a 1st as a minimum. Hell, I'd probably ask that Jakub Vrana also be thrown in. Not saying that the Capitals would do it, but that would be the kind of package I'd be asking for if any team wants Simmonds. They're going to have to pay big.

As for Schenn, it's clear he's most effective as a center and there's simply no room for him in Philadelphia. I'd look at moving him and his brother for a package of a top left wing prospect and a bottom four defender. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Schenn, it's clear he's most effective as a center and there's simply no room for him in Philadelphia.

Name one player on this team who is a better 2nd line center than Schenn.

Honestly, we don't have one. And even if Laughton was on the team, he's not better. 6 points in 31 games.

I'm with you on Schenn being underwhelming, but I think that's more of a function of his age than anything else. I would move him if someone came along with an amazing offer... but I wouldn't be looking to move him. Know what I mean?

The real battle, IMO, will be for 3rd line center between Couturier and Laughton. They won't compete directly, I don't think. Couturier has 300 games experience on him... but it might come down to the GM deciding which way to go and moving the other one.

Schenn might never be a guy who generates his own offense, but he will score 30+ goals in this league. And we don't have a 30 goal scorer on this team.

I see Schenn as a 25 goal type player and not a 30 plus... 30 plus type players create their own chances and that is not Schenn game. Nice player but not sure he is ever going to be a consistent 30+ type player...

I see Schenn as a 25 goal type player and not a 30 plus... 30 plus type players create their own chances and that is not Schenn game. Nice player but not sure he is ever going to be a consistent 30+ type player...

I didn't mean consistent 30 goal scorer. But I think he will reach that level for one, maybe two seasons with the right players.

He's not as valuable as I had hoped for a 5th overall, but even a consistent 20 goal scorer is nothing to sneeze at. Damn, we have a problem scoring goals and he should only get better and stronger over the next 4-5 years.

It's kinda like JVR in that there are flaws to his game for a player picked that high, and some floater element in there... but 30 goals is 30 goals.

I don't think it is that far off base Brel but I think he is a decent player. Never going to be the player the Flyers hoped he was when they traded for him. Christ, I would be happy I fn he turned into a simmonds type player...

He is a jack of all skills in the NHL but is not a master of anything. Decent skater, decent shot, subpar defense, etc... He is what he is at this point. Hextall needs to decide if he is part of the future....

I didn't mean consistent 30 goal scorer.

Slow your roll........let's see him just get a 2nd 20 goal season...first then we'll go from there...this kid has issues and it's more than being flip flopped from wing to center back to wing...sorry it's deeper than that. I'm not buying the age thing anymore it's not like he is 20 or 21.

Slow your roll........let's see him just get a 2nd 20 goal season...first then we'll go from there...this kid has issues and it's more than being flip flopped from wing to center back to wing...sorry it's deeper than that. I'm not buying the age thing anymore it's not like he is 20 or 21.

Yup. He definitely has his issues. 

What do you expect from Schenn? When I posted the comparison chart the other day between Schenn and a bunch of other NHLers drafted around the same position and around the same age, it shows Schenn on an upward trajectory, a little behind some of them at his age, but he's been the most consistent in his development.

He's hard to read. I don't know that I'd want younger assets/draft picks if he were traded. I'd want roster players around the same age. We don't need to get younger up front.

Yup. He definitely has his issues. 

What do you expect from Schenn? When I posted the comparison chart the other day between Schenn and a bunch of other NHLers drafted around the same position and around the same age, it shows Schenn on an upward trajectory, a little behind some of them at his age, but he's been the most consistent in his development.

He's hard to read. I don't know that I'd want younger assets/draft picks if he were traded. I'd want roster players around the same age. We don't need to get younger up front.

I'm not going out to just trade him but i'd listen to offers for him. But before i say yes to move him i'd have to know what was coming back. I would be open to move him for someone who may say next year get slotted on LW with G and Jake.

No way the Flyers are buyers after losing to both Buffalo AND Carolina.  I don't care if they would've beaten the Rangers 9-0 last night. If they buy at or before the trade deadline, I'm done with this team until Snider passes away.

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 37s37 seconds ago Philadelphia, PA

Flyers hoping to move Braydon Coburn by Monday. Teams are calling.

Don't trust him but hope it's true.

i hope they can too....

Wow, looks like i missed a **** pile of trolling in the Timonen thread. 

well i wouldn't say "missed" but you know.

So Panotch is saying teams are calling for Coburn, i hope we're able to get more than a 2nd for him... they're pretty valuable after all.

I know it's Eklund, but here goes...

"Flyers want to move a package of a D-man and Vinny"

If that happens, and it's Coburn and Vinny, and we end up with a 1st rounder in the process, I'm happy.

We'll probably have to retain salary for it to happen, I would think. But it would clear $9M off the cap.

Schenn and Simmer for first overall?

Maybe.

Otherwise, I honestly can't imagine what an actual contender would give in return for them that would be worth it.

Seth Jones? Ekblad? I see no one giving the likes of that up and honestly that's what it would take for me to be okay with it.

Schenn... Meh. I'm a little tired of waiting for that train to come into the station.

If they deal Simmer I would be shocked and I really hope they don't. This team would be pillow soft without him and he has a great contract. Schenn I have no problem if the haul was large enough...

Hextall's performance over the past few days summed up nicely...

Scott T. ‏@NHLFlyera  1h1 hour ago
Flyers entered the weekend with two picks (11 & 72) in the top 90. They now have five (11, 24, 51, 72, & 84) Good stuff, Hexy.

Daniel Friedman retweeted

Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko 3m3 minutes ago

Slava Voynov's agent told @galkevich32 Voynov's traded to #Flyers #LAKings

This is apparently bogus and has been refuted by TSN.

I cannot figure out what makes me laugh more, a 2nd for Timonen or a 1st for Coburn! The really funny part is that's not all they got, lol. Good return. I hope this mean MFer from Tampa pans out too, this team could use some muscle.

I'm wondering if getting Gudas makes Schenn expendable.

If you think about it, Gudas is a 3rd pairing guy who HITS a ton, is aggressive in the defensive zone, can clear the crease, has limited offensive upside, and has apparent brain farts defensively.

Isn't that exactly what Luke Schenn is at 4x the price? Forget that Schenn was drafted #5 overall... he's basically Gudas with a top level price tag.

I'm wondering if getting Gudas makes Schenn expendable.

If you think about it, Gudas is a 3rd pairing guy who HITS a ton, is aggressive in the defensive zone, can clear the crease, has limited offensive upside, and has apparent brain farts defensively.

Isn't that exactly what Luke Schenn is at 4x the price? Forget that Schenn was drafted #5 overall... he's basically Gudas with a top level price tag.

I like Schenn but at this point, I trust Hextall to do what's best for us. If a team is willing to over pay for Schenn then Hextall has to trade him.

The price for defensemen this deadline is very high so it's great for us.

Archived