Flyers 2015 Deadline Thread

brelic

If you already had your doubts about this trading deadline, here's something that's sure to heighten your anxiety and have you reaching for the blood pressure meds:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150225_Coburn_could_be_sent_packing_with_Flyers__glut_of_defensemen.html

RALEIGH, N.C. - Braydon Coburn has heard the whispers for nearly 2 calendar years, but they're growing louder and louder now with the Flyers' glut of defensemen.

The clock is ticking. Ron Hextall's first trade deadline as an NHL general manager is only 5 days away - 3 p.m. Monday - and some of his closest advisers have joined him on the road.

Former general manager and now senior vice president Bob Clarke is traveling with the Flyers for the first time in seemingly years. Hextall's righthand man, scouting director Chris Pryor, is also on the trip.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they turn into buyers after last night's game I am done with this Team.

You call that a game? Abomination,Abortion,Cluster&*^% seem to be better words to describe their collective inspired play against the Canes.....

Well, if Coburn is the one that rumors are saying would be going, that implies selling, not buying. Ditto their cap situation (They're up against it and have been unable to bank space due to the use of LTIR). Also, the fact that there were some 7-8 pro scouts from playoff teams at one of the games over the weekend (Nashville I think?) tells me the Flyers are still sellers. However, this late run has been my greatest fear in that it may cause Hextall to hold out hope for a playoff run and only look for a deal that knocks his socks off, rather than take what he can to jettison some contracts.

You call that a game? Abomination,Abortion,Cluster&*^% seem to be better words to describe their collective inspired play against the Canes.....

Lol rod... good point.

This is why this Team is NOT and HAS NEVER BEEN a playoff team this season (this year).  Oh it is great to beat a very good Team but if you are a good team you find ways to beat the Teams you are supposed to beat - Canes, Sabres, etc...   This Team is wildly inconsistent and that is very much a sign of a bad Team.

@Bertmega

i believe Bill Simmonds would call the Flyers   "the good bad team " meaning they're still not a good team but they're better than the really bad teams...St Louis Rams have been the "good bad team" for the last 2 years in the NFL.

@murraycraven

It just frustrates me to no end to watch them show the abilities they have against a great team like Nashville and then just get absolutely outworked/outplayed by a team that is in the McDavid sweepstakes...AGAIN. Even with their fairly busy schedule you don't have the right to just mail in a performance like they did last night.

However, this late run has been my greatest fear in that it may cause Hextall to hold out hope for a playoff run and only look for a deal that knocks his socks off, rather than take what he can to jettison some contracts.

I don't know... I'm sure Hextall saw the same garbage last night that we did. They're an enigma. And while there are a bunch of positives from this year at an individual level, there's not a whole lot of team success other than the power play. He knows that, and I doubt that he would be making moves for the playoffs this year.

Carolina - a McDavid lottery team - thoroughly outplayed and outhustled us last night. If that's not a red flag, I don't know what is.

I don't know... I'm sure Hextall saw the same garbage last night that we did. They're an enigma. And while there are a bunch of positives from this year at an individual level, there's not a whole lot of team success other than the power play. He knows that, and I doubt that he would be making moves for the playoffs this year.

Carolina - a McDavid lottery team - thoroughly outplayed and outhustled us last night. If that's not a red flag, I don't know what is.

Right. I'm not worried about him buying. I'm worried about him maintaining the status quo, keeping everyone and just going with what they've got, unless someone blows him away with an offer for Coburn or whoever. My fear is that with the Flyers out but close, they'll do that, then miss the playoffs anyway and not get as much for their tradeable assets in the offseason.

Former general manager and now senior vice president Bob Clarke is traveling with the Flyers for the first time in seemingly years.

You guys are f'd.  I hope Holmgren is scouting in Kazakhstan for the Flyer's sake.

You guys are f'd.  I hope Holmgren is scouting in Kazakhstan for the Flyer's sake.

Giroux was a Holmgren pick.  he has an eye for talent and is a good evaluator. Salary structure and contracts...not so much. 

"we have no interest in Yandle "

i can't wait to see what these jackholes do next, my feeling is i'm not going to like it much

Here's Spector's take on Coburn:

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-rumor-mill-february-25-2015/

Coburn, Tlusty and Petry moving soon?

PHILLY.COM: Frank Seravalli reports the Flyers have a glut of defensemen and could send Braydon Coburn packing by the trade deadline. With Kimmo Timonen set to return to the lineup on Saturday, the Flyers must shed a salary to make room on their payroll. Nick Grossmann, Luke Schenn, Michael Del Zotto and Carlo Colaiacovo could also be available, but Coburn could have more value. He has a year remaining on his contract worth $4.25 million with a limited no-trade clause of 10-12 teams he’d accepted being dealt to.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: I believe there will be interest in Coburn, who could probably be had for a draft pick or prospect as the Flyers can’t take back any salary. However, those clubs could try to squeeze the Flyers to absorb part of his remaining salary. 

that was a good haul for the Canes... I expect a similar return for Coburn if he is traded.

Only if the Kings make the playoffs. The Canes would get a mid-round 1st.

Othewise, they end up with McKeown who may or may not turn into anything. 

I would hope Coburn could fetch a non-conditional 1st.

Only if the Kings make the playoffs. The Canes would get a mid-round 1st.

Othewise, they end up with McKeown who may or may not turn into anything. 

I would hope Coburn could fetch a non-conditional 1st.

If the Kings don't make the playoffs this year, Carolina gets LA's first in 2016.

that was a good haul for the Canes... I expect a similar return for Coburn if he is traded.

That was a good trade for them....Mckeown with Fluery and Murray will give them 3 good young mobile defensemen for years to come.

I'm envious of this trade i want the Flyers to snatch Mckeown up...but i'm very happy with Sanheim whom i think upside will be much greater.

Archived