Jackets trade for Clarkson!

yave1964

I read that article and instantly inserted Pronger every line I read Horton... Not a dig at the Flyers, just similar circumvention for a team that can afford it.

While the Leafs are able to absorb Horton's contract and can use his LTIR exemption, it's going to make it somewhat difficult to navigate the offseason with only 1.5 million in remaining offseason cushion (based on this year's 6.8 million, which Horton will eat 5.3 of). A lot will depend on salary they jettison and how they want to approach team building in the near future.

While the Leafs are able to absorb Horton's contract and can use his LTIR exemption, it's going to make it somewhat difficult to navigate the offseason with only 1.5 million in remaining offseason cushion (based on this year's 6.8 million, which Horton will eat 5.3 of). A lot will depend on salary they jettison and how they want to approach team building in the near future.

I didn't think they had to be cap compliant until the first day of the season??

I read that article and instantly inserted Pronger every line I read Horton... Not a dig at the Flyers, just similar circumvention for a team that can afford it.

That is the reason that Pronger has NOT been moved. The Flyers have deep pockets and can afford to pay the salary and keep the room on the cap. As he said in the article, some teams can afford this luxury and some can't. CBJ get the shorter end of this stick but do get an actual player. On top of that, wasn't Clarkson's contract seriously front loaded? So, Columbus get's the cap hit without having to actually pay for it bringing them off the cap minimum and saving them money. CBJ loses out on actual product but wins every other way.

I'm not exactly certain how Clarkson's contract shakes out but according to http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/david-clarkson/    Clarkson received $27,750,00 in a signing bonus.  That money might have been paid upfront by the Leafs?  Thus leaving the Blue Jackets only paying a couple of Million per year with the cap hit of $5.25M.

It then appears as if the Blue Jackets are then saving a bunch of money.  If that is the case for a financially strapped team this deal appears in their favor.

Indeed, this deal saves Columbus boatloads of actual money. That's what makes it a good deal for both franchises.

Toronto gets out from under that contract thanks to LTIR, and Columbus gets a player who can actually play (albeit not very well as of late) for much less real money.

People see this as a steal for Toronto, but it's just as good for the Jackets IMO. They take advantage of Toronto's financial muscle just as much as Toronto does in this case. Not many other teams in the league (probably none, in fact) would be willing to help them like that.

@TropicalFruitGirl26 I don't know if this has been said yet or not, but that number on nhlnumbers.com is actually the remaining cap hit for the year. It has been reported (last I checked anyway) that neither team retained anything.

Indeed, this deal saves Columbus boatloads of actual money. That's what makes it a good deal for both franchises.

Toronto gets out from under that contract thanks to LTIR, and Columbus gets a player who can actually play (albeit not very well as of late) for much less real money.

People see this as a steal for Toronto, but it's just as good for the Jackets IMO. They take advantage of Toronto's financial muscle just as much as Toronto does in this case. Not many other teams in the league (probably none, in fact) would be willing to help them like that.

@TropicalFruitGirl26 I don't know if this has been said yet or not, but that number on nhlnumbers.com is actually the remaining cap hit for the year. It has been reported (last I checked anyway) that neither team retained anything.

Yea, after reading over posts here and other stuff elsewhere, I see where no salary was retained.

This cap stuff can get pretty daunting at times...especially if all the info isn't out yet.

Bottom line here then, is Columbus took on a potentially crippling salary in the hopes that David Clarkson can provide something more to them than he did for Toronto.

Definite gamble...I hope it pays off for them, as Columbus has not been able to get some fortunate situations with injuries and honestly, they SHOULD be a contender within the Metro.

I just logged into the forum here and heard that Clarkson was traded, then started moonwalking in my bedroom. :D

Yeah but can you supermoon walk...this looks crazy...

...and no this isn't a camera trick it's legit.

Archived