Jackets trade for Clarkson!

yave1964

The impossible to deal contract of David Clarkson has been moved to the 463399300.jpg?v=1&g=fs2%7C0%7Ceditorial1Jackets just now in exchange for the contract of Nathan Horton who is probably done due to multiple back injuries. Head still spinning, I get it from the Leafs standpoint, Horton gets paid and does not count against the cap but Columbus just hung a 5.3 million dollar a season anchor around their neck in Clarkson. Absolutely do not understand this from Columbus viewpoint AT ALL. This slug is theirs until 2020. Wow.

I know there are a lot of Clarkson haters on this site, but honestly, I have to say that Columbus "won" this one....if its possible to win a trade where two horrendous contracts were swapped.

I looked at NHL Numbers, and they already have David Clarkson on there for the Jackets....and the cap hit is VERY low for Columbus $1.27M to be exact.

Toronto retained MUCH of Clarkson's salary just to move him out.

I will agree 1000% that Clarkson is way overpaid (I think we all know he is being paid for that ONE season where he scored 30 goals, when in fact, he is really a 15 G, 3rd line type player), but really, the Jackets were ALREADY paying for Nathan Horton who was never going to play for them again, so why not use that "spent" money on a guy (Clarkson) who can actually play for them now and moving into next year and beyond as well.

Clarkson also plays the type of game that the Jackets as a whole play: tough rugged, and the team generally is defensively responsible enough top to bottom that Clarkson can just focus on forechecking, creating space for linemates, and picking up garbage goals...unlike Toronto where the team was so bad in so many areas that he probably was expected to do way too much AND score 30 goals again.... Mission Impossible for Clarkson under those conditions.

He also gets away from the 'fishbowl' scrutiny that is Toronto and can more quietly go about his business....like he did in NJ....and just be a better player with much less pressure on him.

I make no excuses for Clarkson's production as a Leaf: He was terrible!

But then, so were the ridiculous expectations of ownership (and the fanbase too!) highlighted by that crazy contract they gave him.

But if your Columbus, you aren't making the playoffs, you get a guy who plays your style at a heavily discounted rate, and can use the rest of the season to "work him into the lineup and system" and by next year, provided the Jackets can finally escape the injury curse, you may be looking at a formidable forechecking, crash line, tough defensive team that NO one wants to play against.

For what its worse and such as it is, good job Columbus...

Toronto retained MUCH of Clarkson's salary just to move him out.

I think that's just the prorated portion remaining. You can't retain more than 50% of the cap hit.

Either way, that contract was horrible when it was given out, and it's horrible now. Clarkson is a fraud who parlayed one decent season into a king's ransom. Good for him, bad for Toronto and now Columbus.

I'm just disappointed that his albatross contract can be moved, yet we can't get rid of more serviceable guys like Lecavalier. Getting rid of MacDonald would be great too.

Damn you Homer.

I think that's just the prorated portion remaining. You can't retain more than 50% of the cap hit.

Either way, that contract was horrible when it was given out, and it's horrible now. Clarkson is a fraud who parlayed one decent season into a king's ransom. Good for him, bad for Toronto and now Columbus.

I'm just disappointed that his albatross contract can be moved, yet we can't get rid of more serviceable guys like Lecavalier. Getting rid of MacDonald would be great too.

Damn you Homer.

Hmm...I am no cap expert, and I hadn't considered any 'prorates'.

You are probably right.

I guess we will have to see how that shakes out.

But even if that is correct, @brelic , I still say Columbus did well here to get a guy who will actually play for the team, as opposed to someone (Horton) who simply wasn't going to.

Toronto is going full on rebuild, while the Jackets are looking towards bigger things if they can sidestep injuries.

Yes, Clarkson doesn't deserve what he got paid, but that doesn't mean he won't be able to help the Jackets for the reasons I already stated.

After this season, Clarkson has 4 years left, so even if he turns out to be a bust with Columbus as well, the Jackets will only have to carefully manage their cap for that time...not like they are on the  hook for a long, long time.

And his cap hit, if the prorate thing is right and the hit is an average, will be about $6M...yes, still a heavy number, but not impossible to work around provided Columbus makes smart decisions elsewhere and gets contributions from players making much lower salaries.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Clarkson has been wretched in Toronto, Columbus has no need for a player of his ilk. At forward for 2015-16 barring a trade:

Johansson, Hartnell Foligno, Atkinson, Jenner, Dubinsky, Clarkson, Atkinson, all solid top nine players who you don't need to be ashamed of (save Clarkson) 8 solid NHLers not counting the possible resigning of Anisimov and Letestu.

Kids who are ready or near ready: Rychel, Wennberg, Bjorkstrand and Dano. The Jackets actually have a stocked farm system.

So my problem with the deal is Clarkson will likely mean the Jackets allow a serviceable third/fourth liner like Letestu sign elsewhere and one of the kids will be held back. The four mentioned above are all potentially top nine or better, Clarkson is a roadblock. I thought they had moved on past the dreadful Horton signing, they took a bad situation and made it worse.

What line do you play Clarkson on? He is too slow and defensively deficient to play the fourth line, not offensively talented enough to play a top six role. So third line with a 5.3 million salary keeping a talented kid in the minors. Absolutely dreadful.

Hmm...I am no cap expert, and I hadn't considered any 'prorates'.

You are probably right.

I guess we will have to see how that shakes out.

But even if that is correct, @brelic , I still say Columbus did well here to get a guy who will actually play for the team, as opposed to someone (Horton) who simply wasn't going to.

Toronto is going full on rebuild, while the Jackets are looking towards bigger things if they can sidestep injuries.

Yes, Clarkson doesn't deserve what he got paid, but that doesn't mean he won't be able to help the Jackets for the reasons I already stated.

After this season, Clarkson has 4 years left, so even if he turns out to be a bust with Columbus as well, the Jackets will only have to carefully manage their cap for that time...not like they are on the  hook for a long, long time.

And his cap hit, if the prorate thing is right and the hit is an average, will be about $6M...yes, still a heavy number, but not impossible to work around provided Columbus makes smart decisions elsewhere and gets contributions from players making much lower salaries.

The Cap hit is actually 5.3 million through 2019-20 which for a third liner and a body who puts his big butt in front of the net on the power play is ridiculous. They had Hortons salary eaten, not counting against the cap, no way I do this deal, ever.

@yave1964

Like I said, we will see how this shakes out.

I know the numbers aren't pretty at all, but let's see what happens when he actually hits the ice and plays with a team that I feel he is a better fit overall with.

I never thought he was a fit with Toronto...even if TO would have given him a more sane deal.

You make some very good points with the players the Jackets do have, however, fact remains, they haven't been able to escape the injury bug and the players that are on there still have trouble generating enough offense to carry the team through.

Obviously, Clarkson isn't going to add a ton of offense there, but he will add some, he will actually BE on the ice playing as opposed to being on IR, and even if he doesn't add a ton offense, I mentioned he can help create some time and space for others who may be better scorers.

I am watching the Montreal-Columbus game tonight.

And its the Columbus feed, so I am hoping to catch some more talk about how Clarkson will fit in with the Jackets.

If they had cap room to spare, then I agree that it's better to pay someone $6M to play for you than $5M or whatever Horton was getting to not play (though I have no idea what the story is on Horton, I'm just going based on what you mentioned).

It's still an absurd amount to pay a guy who hit 40+ points ONCE in his career, and will never do it again. Guaranteed. He will never get 20 goals again. Guaranteed. In fact he's only done it once. He's over 30 and on the decline of what was never really much of a hill in the first place. 

Possibly it's because I really dislike him as a player - and consider him to be a fraud for getting that kind of commitment after showing so little talent. It's exactly what is wrong with the NHL today.

IMO, of course ;)

EDIT: If Horton isn't playing because of LTIR (i.e. Pronger situation), then I take my first paragraph back. It's an even worse deal. They lose LTIR cap space to pay a hack? Surely they could have gotten someone better, and just keep Horton on LTIR.

I'm not exactly certain how Clarkson's contract shakes out but according to http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/david-clarkson/    Clarkson received $27,750,00 in a signing bonus.  That money might have been paid upfront by the Leafs?  Thus leaving the Blue Jackets only paying a couple of Million per year with the cap hit of $5.25M.

It then appears as if the Blue Jackets are then saving a bunch of money.  If that is the case for a financially strapped team this deal appears in their favor.

I can't remember the last time I saw so many happy Leafs fans.

Ditto.

However, the real sad part to this is, Leaf fans are happy to be ridding themselves of a bad contract......because they will be a bad TEAM for the forseeable future after flirting with being something special PBM....that's Pre Boston Meltdown for you acronym-o-files....

No salary was retained by either team. Jackets get rid of 6 million a year in actual salary for a player who wasn't playing, pick up a guy getting paid less per season who's actually going to dress. Leafs can absorb Horton's contract and will get cap relief from dumping Clarkson. This is purely a money move for both clubs. 

Ditto.

However, the real sad part to this is, Leaf fans are happy to be ridding themselves of a bad contract......because they will be a bad TEAM for the forseeable future after flirting with being something special PBM....that's Pre Boston Meltdown for you acronym-o-files....

The irony is, I thought the Clarkson signing was going to be a huge acquisition for the Leafs. At that moment in time, it looked as though the Leafs were a team on the rise. It looked like the right pieces were falling into place.

Then Clarkson made his Leafs debut: suspended for the first month of the season, and then hands of stone the rest of the way in. Biggest flop in Leafs history? Boy have there been some players to flop in Leaf land. ie: Larry Murphy comes to mind.

Clarkson was an anchor... in all the wrong ways. He did nothing for the Leafs, and his contract ensured that the team was screwed. Incredible that he's gone.  :)

@WordsOfWisdom

Larry Murphy, I still argue that the Leafs simply gave up on Murph too soon, he won in Pittsburgh before and won in Detroit after, playing key roles with both teams. Essentially in Murphy's case, IMHO the team lost and he was blamed as the new guy. Worked out perfect for the Wings :).

Clarkson, oh my was he bad in Toronto, I never in a million years saw this one coming. I live a little less than an hour north of Columbus, my teenage daughter is a Dubinsky fan, i watch a fair share of Jackets games, they are loaded with talented kids, I didn't understand the signing of the injured Horton, i understand this even less. Clarkson is simply not a good pickup. Nonis for GM of the year.

Vinnie CAN be moved!!!!!!!!!

Yes, he can.

For all the Vinnie Haterade that goes around, I think, with the right fit on the right team, he could be helpful.

It's been mentioned ad nauseum on this site.....VLC never was and moving forward is NOT a fit for the Flyers.

So yea, if a guy like Clarkson and his contract are moved, so can VLC, Dion Phaneuf....oh and maybe the Devils can move the rest of Ilya Kovalchuk's contract too....hehe.

This just in.....Toronto has acquired the rights to Rick DiPietro and Alexei Yashin and sends Phaneuf to the Islanders...............   :ph34r:

The Jackets made a ridiculous signing of Horton, he was injured and in need of surgery when he signed, I remember the presser, he could barely walk. I thought, My God he is moving like an old man. Anyone with half a brain could see he was high risk yet the Jackets signed him to an absurd contract.

Trading for Clarkson is the Jackets hoping that two wrongs make a right. I have been monitoring the comments of Jackets fans, they are beside themselves because at least Horton didn't count against the cap. I never factored in that the Jackets are crippled by the 5 million that they are paying Horton not to play and 'something is better than nothing' as far as Clarkson goes. I still think Nonis just made the best trade in Leafs history (tongue in cheek) as for the Leafs, they seem to believe that nothing is better than something. Of course the Salary Cap savings are where it all comes in, if Nonis can finagle O'Reilly from the Avalanche or if he can trade for Staal from Carolina or some such with the money he just saved then that makes Nonis the exec of the year.

Archived