What moment in Flyer history would you change if you could?

FD19372

1) Not letting Lindros back in the lineup for the 2000 ECF against the Devils

2) Not signing VLC or Bryzgalov

3) Having a competent backup during the 2010 run (not too sure who was out there though)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having a competent backup during the 2010 run (not too sure who was out there though)

I thought Boosh was a decent backup...what killed them was Emery going down with his hip...now Leighton if i remember correctly was a Phantom who was called up after Emery was out and he was backing up Boosh.

And yes i agree they maybe should have added another goalie behind Boosh or even as a starter and returned Boosh back to his backup re and returned Leighton back to the AHL. But without Boosh who made the key saves in the win and you're in game versus the Rags how would that have went?

And even though we know Leighton single handily lost the Finals for them maybe he still has a record that hasn't been repeated since 3 shutouts in a single playoff series.

But yeah i agree it is painful...to reflect on...what if they had a better 3rd Dpairing instead Ryan Parent or Lucas Carjack!!!???

I thought Boosh was a decent backup...what killed them was Emery going down with his hip...now Leighton if i remember correctly was a Phantom who was called up after Emery was out and he was backing up Boosh.

They picked Leighton up off waivers after Emery went down. While ideally the Flyers would have traded for a better goalie, I don't know if anyone better than Leighton/Boucher would have been available. These are the goalies traded at the deadline:

Curtis McElhinney

Justin Pogge

Hannu Toivonen

Vesa Toskala

Toivonen hadn't played in the NHL since 2008, and couldn't make a case for a call up over Niemi. Pogge was 1-4-1 in 7 games for the Leafs - that's the extent of his NHL career. Toskala didn't have a career after 2010. McElhinney at the time was a backup (still is), and his numbers for the Ducks after they acquired him weren't good. He's improved since then, though.

ETA: Sorry, missed a few:

Joey MacDonald - played 6 games for the Leafs in 2010, 49 for the Isles the season before. He played well as a backup in Detroit the next two seasons, but tailed off.

Miika Wiikman and Joe Fallon have never played a game in the NHL.

The point being, there doesn't seem to have been a Miller or Halak available at the deadline like there was last year. A few "maybe's," but nobody clearly better than what the Flyers were rolling out there.

I think the number one moment in Flyers history I'd like to change is like other have said taking the keys away from Pelle the night he died and I honestly think the Flyers would have won a couple of cups with him in net.

- Signing Curtis Joseph instead of John Vanbiesbrouck

-getting the 1st overall pick in 2007 and drafting Patrick Kane instead of ending up with JVR

Does Jay Snider count as a "moment?"

I remember it like it was yesterday with the chants raining down from the Spectrum rafters "Jay Must Go!"

That was the beginning of the tailspin that we still find ourselves in today, the elevation of Clarke and Jay Snider to places where they didn't belong.  

Archived