What moment in Flyer history would you change if you could?

FD19372

Mine would undoubtedly be not trading for a quality starting goalie earlier in the year and allowing Michael "Leaky" Leighton as the starter. He almost single-handedly lost the Cup for them in 2010.  The other would be losing to Edmonton in 1987. One of the grittiest, guttiest teams of all-time. They even had the lead in Game 7. I was sick for DAYS after that loss.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take the keys to the Porsche away from Pelle.

Don't trade Poulin.

Don't trade for Lindros (no knock on him, but we may have won a cup with Forsberg ++++++)

Don't sign Bryz

I don't think we win a Cup even with Forsberg. Our goaltending and other players weren't worthy. I totally agree with the others you stated, though.

@flyercanuck

Spot on...you beat me by a a few minutes.

Let me add:

the trade of Hartnell for Bumburglerer and the signing of VLC right after the 2 get out of jail free cards of Bryz and Briere.

However I agree, taking the keys from Pelle has to be #1.  I often wonder how far this team could have gone had he had a normal NHL career.

Ahhh, the summer of 1997.....Good Will Hunting was delighting movie audiences world wide, The Spice Girls made us question the sanity of the younger generation AND the Flyers hired a young athletic trainer by the name of Jim McCrossin.

Leighton makes the save on Patrick Kane.

I'd go with Niemi doesn't make the save on Carter.

VLC signs in Montreal

Dmitri Tertyshny decides he doesn't like boats, and goes to a steak restaurant instead.

Dmitri Tertyshny decides he doesn't like boats, and goes to a steak restaurant instead.

Just to show I have a rather morbid sense of humour, some ice coffee came shooting out my nose in the aftermath of taking that one in....LMAO!

I personally wouldn't undo the Lindros trade. Without Lindros here, Clarke would probably not trade Recchi for LeClaire and Desjardins. Those two were great players here, even tho Forsberg was also.

Mine would undoubtedly be not trading for a quality starting goalie earlier in the year and allowing Michael "Leaky" Leighton as the starter. He almost single-handedly lost the Cup for them in 2010.  The other would be losing to Edmonton in 1987. One of the grittiest, guttiest teams of all-time. They even had the lead in Game 7. I was sick for DAYS after that loss.

WOW I couldnt agree more with these!!!!!  I will take a small amount of sickness over 1987 to my grave that team DESERVED a cup or 2 but had the bad misfortune of running into the 80's Oilers both times they made the finals (who they handled in the Regular season routinely during that era)

Leaky is another story and is sickening as well, GAME 1 of that series was an absolute back breaker as we had multiple leads and couldnt hold and well you know the rest...

Take the keys to the Porsche away from Pelle.

Don't trade Poulin.

Don't trade for Lindros (no knock on him, but we may have won a cup with Forsberg ++++++)

Don't sign Bryz

AMEN to all!!! Especially the first 2 as they are from my favorite era.....

I personally wouldn't undo the Lindros trade. Without Lindros here, Clarke would probably not trade Recchi for LeClaire and Desjardins. Those two were great players here, even tho Forsberg was also.

Ricci, Foresberg...pre broken foota...Sakic with Brind'amour 2 other first round players....I would have liked that team, a lot. There wouldn't be the three years of Lindos Brindy and nothing. That trade was huge .

I liked the players you mentioned but they were assembled , the group I mentioned grew and were ultimately better IMO.

I'll go with Pelle having read this thread, but my very first immediate thought hasn't been said yet:

Leon Stickle

I don't remember that, it's about a year before I became hockey aware.

That is the offsides no call that lead to a goal but then what happened....I thought the islanders were the class of the league.

Ya, but then we could have went out and acquired #29 from the Capitals...imagine the commentators..."And it's Joe Reekie, with the puck, up to Recchi, over to Ricci, back to Reekie, to Ricci, to Recchi...SCORES!"   :) 

@mojo1917   Could not find the video, but here is a very realistic account of the "Leon Stickle game". 

http://www.csnphilly.com/sports/today-in-philly-sports-history-the-leon-stickle-game-1980/

"Though it's true that the Flyers ended up losing the game, one thing should be said in Stickle's defense: The goal wasn't really as consequential as you might think. When you hear people rant about how a no-call cost the Flyers the game and the series, you figure it was Bob Nystrom's famous overtime goal that should have been nulled, or that at least it was the game-tier late in regulation. In actuality, Sutter's goal merely put the Islanders up 2-1 with two whole periods to go, in what would eventually end up a 5-4 game. Sure, that's still a one-goal differential, and who knows how things would have turned out with the violation called, but as far as all-time scapegoats go, this isn't really Buckner letting the ball through his legs in the bottom of the tenth"

Agree with all of this, it's a fair and honest assessment of what really went down.

Archived