Scott Stevens vs Scott Niedermayer

JagerMeister

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better player during their time as NJD's

• Scott Niedermayer
    • Scott Stevens
  2. 2. Who was the better player overall?

• Scott Stevens
    • Scott Niedermayer

During their time in NJD together, who was the better player?

Scott Stevens NJD regular season and playoff stats, Awards/Award nominations, Honors

Regular season Stats: GP 956  G 93  A 337  P 430  +/-282  

Playoffs: GP 153  G 17  A 45  P 62

Awards/Award Nominations/Honors

Conn Smythe Trophy

1982-83 NHL NHL All-Rookie Team (1st)
1987-88 NHL NHL All-Star Team (1st)
1991-92 NHL NHL All-Star Team (2nd)
1993-94 NHL NHL All-Star Team (1st)
1996-97 NHL NHL All-Star Team (2nd)
2000-01 NHL NHL All-Star Team (2nd)

Hart Nominations: 9th, 7th, 15th

Norris Nominations: 4th, 10th, 2nd, 9th, 5th, 4th, 6th, 10th, 3rd, 10th, 15th

Scott Niedermayer NJD regular season and playoff stats, Awards/Nominations, Honors

NJD Career Stats

Regular season stats: GP 892  G 112  A 364  P 476  +/- 172

Playoffs: GP 153  G 17  A 47  P 64

Awards/Nominations/Honors

James Norris Trophy

Honors 
1992-93 NHL NHL All-Rookie Team (1st)
1997-98 NHL NHL All-Star Team (2nd)

Norris Nominations: 5th, 12th, 13th

Hart Nominations: 9th

So from the data gathered here, Scott Stevens has 10 Norris trophy nominations in the top ten, and 11 in total, but no Norris trophy.

While Scott Niedermayer has 1 Norris nomination in the top ten and 3 in total. But he has what Stevens does not have, a Norris Trophy.

So i would say in the regular season

Defensive peak goes to Niedermayer

While Defensive Prime does to Stevens.

Offensively, it looks like Niedermayer was better, he has more points than stevens in less than 60+ games.

In the Playoffs though, Scott Stevens is the one with the Conn smythe...and only has 2 less points.

Overall, i think Stevens was the better player during their time as Devils.

Now, Overall in their careers, it becomes much closer as to who was the better player.

Lets take a look

Scott Stevens

Regular Season stats: GP 1635  G 196  A 712  P 908  +/- 393

Playoffs: GP 233  G 26  A 92  P 118

Award Wins, Nominations 

Conn Smythe Trophy

Norris Nominations: 6th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 10th, 7th, 4th, 10th, 2nd, 9th, 5th, 4th, 6th, 10th, 3rd, 10th, 15th

Hart Nominations are still the same

Scott Niedermayer

Regular season stats: GP 1263  G 172  A 568  P 740  +/- 167

Playoffs: GP 202  G 25  A 73  P 98

Award Wins and Nominations

Conn Smythe Trophy
Norris Trophy

Norris nominations: 5th, 12th, 13th, 2nd, 2nd, 10th, 9th

Hart nominations: 9th, 8th, 7th, 17th

Yea um...im not sure who is better now.
Seems like Stevens still had the better, longer prime, and was a runner up to the Norris twice, his competition was Bourque and chelios 
But Niedermayer has a Norris trophy and was the runner up twice to the Norris, his competition was Lidstrom for both of his runner ups.

Yea, um. You can decide who was the tougher competition...

Niedermayer still had the better peak, and Stevens still had the better prime.

Now, it is much different offensively now...
since Stevens got his inflated stats in the high scoring 80s and early 90s....
Stevens production took a significant drop when goal scoring became much harder in the late 90s, but that tremendous drop in offensive production can be due to the fact that he was past his prime...idk.
I think because Niedermayer started his career in the 90s, and he still had 200 less points than Stevens, but Stevens played 400+ more games. Considering the fact that Stevens had his prime in the high scoring 80s and early 90s. I give the nod to Niedermayer in overall offensive production.

Now Playoffs...
Niedermayer won a controversial Conn Smythe, But i think Stevens was clearly the best player in the post season in 1999, so i give te nod to Stevens, but im still not sure on this one....

But overall.......

Scott_Stevens_03.JPG
Scott Stevens, wins again.

Who do you think was the better player during their time in NJD, and their overall careers.

Holy Apples n Oranges Batman!!

Talk about complimentary players!

You could pair these two together (I believe they did play together on the same pairings) and you would have an awesome, awesome duo.

These two were very good players.....for VERY different reasons....and people thought Parise vs Ovechkin was an odd comparison..........

Holy Apples n Oranges Batman!!

Talk about complimentary players!

These two were very good players.....for VERY different reasons....and people thought Parise vs Ovechkin was an odd comparison..........

Just because they are good at very different things, it doesn`t mean you cant say which one is better...

people still compare Ovechkin and Crosby...two far different players...

If we are talking skills/skating ability, Niedermayer edges Stevens but if you are talking meaness, Stevens wins that hands down. In today's NHL, Nieder could still be an effective player but Stevens could not. Stevens hits were always devastating but not always legal. Stevens game would be nuetered if he was playing today.

If we are talking skills/skating ability, Niedermayer edges Stevens but if you are talking meaness, Stevens wins that hands down. In today's NHL, Nieder could still be an effective player but Stevens could not. Stevens hits were always devastating but not always legal. Stevens game would be nuetered if he was playing today.

You're definitely right, the hits he was allowed to do was what made Stevens the player he was, it's what made him have an HHOF career. 

the hits he was allowed to do was what made Stevens the player he was, it's what made him have an HHOF career.

They were the kind of hits you had to be on the look out for. Anyone who was on the ice against Stevens was watching him moreso than the puck or the flow of the game. In short, I don't think you can name a more fear inspiring player than Stevens. That was a huge part of his "skill" on the ice.

As much as everybody remembers Stevens for his physicality, I think people forget that he was a pretty good offensive player the first half of his career, before he really devoted himself to being a shutdown defenseman the last 8-9 years of his career. He finished 12th all-time among defensemen in scoring.

Archived