Which playoff teams will can their goalies first?

jammer2

Gotta believe more than a few goalies are on a VERY short leash going into the playoff season. In St.Louis, Elliott will be yanked real quick if he shows weakness, Jake Allen had a strong last half of the season. Gotta believe the Wings will ditch ol man Howard for Mrazek...I dont' think Howard would even need to lose to get the yank....just look suspect and Mrazek will get his shot at it. I think Pavlec is decently secure with the Jets, but should he lose 2 or 3 games I have no doubt Hutchinson would enter the equation.

Tampa Bay has 2 fine goalies, but the starter Bishop will get the benefit of the doubt, but with a talented kid like Vasilievski behind him, he can't afford more than one bad outing. Even in New York...Lundqvist is solid, but Talbot has been so damn steller, he would be looked if Lundy played a few bad games in a row. If the Hamburgler's Pumpkin were to burst, I'm sure Andersson would be thrown in right away for the Sens. Of course, Fleury is a canidante to take a seat on the bench anytime after the playoffs start, but he may have a longer leash this year. Basically in the East, the only goalie guaranteed to start every playoff game would be Price, he has been dominant and  he's their very best chance to win a series.

@jammer2

Unless Brayden Holtby falls completely apart (I don't think he would), he is a sure bet to right up there with Price as goalies that their teams are going to ride to the end with, come what may.

I suspect the Wild will be the same with Devan Dubnyk....ride'm till the end.

If I were the Wings, I'd go with Mrazek from the start. I agree that Price and Holtby are probably secure. I'm not sure what I think about the Senators. The instinctive move would be to replace Hammond if he struggles, but since he was called up, the team seems to struggle with Anderson in net. If Hammond starts having trouble, that may be all she wrote, because he seems to be the "good luck charm." The Rangers definitely have two good options. In the case of the Penguins, they're on such a slide that if they make it, it might not hurt to shake things up a bit anyway.

St. Louis is solid with both guys, so they can go with whoever is hot. Dubnyk is definitely the guy with Minnesota, and personally, I think Ondrej Pavalec will probably have a long leash. He's been red hot lately, so I'd be surprised if he's yanked after a couple of bad outings unless they're just plain awful. Maybe I'm just drawing a blank right now, but I think most of the Western Conference goalies are secure. That said, there always seems to be a stunner, so we'll see, I guess.

Anderson, Miller, Elliot... I don't see much chance of it happening out in the east, maybe in Detroit. The west is a lot harder to judge, as with the exception of Dubnyk and Howard, nobody has really been ridden as the undisputed #1 guy. I know New York has been a popular idea, but I just don't see the Rangers going to Talbot over Lundqvist, and even a return of playoff Fluery wouldn't make me scramble for Greiss.

Miller's not going anywhere. 2 more years at 6 million per means he's not getting bought out, and the Sabres would be crazy to trade anything of value for a goalie who will be 35 at the start of the season when their team is several years out from contention, even factoring in the addition of McDavid or Eichel.

Looking at it.

Montreal goes with Price through think and thin. Preds go with Rinne the same. As does Washington with Holtby, the Isles with Halak, the Wild with Dubnyk. Fleury is staying no matter how he plays I think.

The others could shift. Talbot played well. VERY well when Lundqvist was injured. unlikely, but possible

Anaheim, StLouis, Tampa have 2 good goalies and if one sits and the other gets hot.....

@J0e Th0rnton  As soon as Lundy loses 2 games (and yeah...that *will* happen) Talbot will take the ball and run with it. RIght now, he's the better goalie AND more imporantly, the Rangers play better in front of Talbot for some reason. As soon as Lundy got back, the Rangers were noticeably vulnerable.

@J0e Th0rnton  As soon as Lundy loses 2 games (and yeah...that *will* happen) Talbot will take the ball and run with it. RIght now, he's the better goalie AND more imporantly, the Rangers play better in front of Talbot for some reason. As soon as Lundy got back, the Rangers were noticeably vulnerable.

I guess you could say it's a similar situation to the one in Ottawa, except in this case, the coach isn't going with the guy that has the hot hand.

@Commander Clueless

Mrazek is on the short list with Howard on a short leash.

Elliott and Allen could be interchanged.

Same with Andersen and Gibson.

According to the Sportsnet ticker during Shanny's press conference, looks like Detroit's going with Mrazek off the bat.

Interesting choice, and an exciting one.

Talbot was 1.64/.941 as a backup last season (19 starts). He was then 2.61/.846 in two playoff appearances.

Lundqvist went from 2.36/.920 in the regular to 2.14/.927 in the playoffs.

His 2.25/.923 this season isn't all that shabby, either. He was 5-2 after his return, giving up 4 in his first game back and then only one game with more than two goals against (CLS, which they won 4-3). The other game he lost, the Rags were shutout.

Talbot was also shaky down the stretch with two four-goals-against games (sub-.890 SV%) against Washington and LA at home.

If I'm the Rangers, I'm riding Lundqvist.

According to the Sportsnet ticker during Shanny's press conference, looks like Detroit's going with Mrazek off the bat.

Interesting choice, and an exciting one.

Very excited!

I am hoping it is a Halak situation where he stepped in for Price and he led the Habs on a deep run. Or when Dryden was given the postseason over Vachon. I would love to see the kid step up and win, oh, say 16 post season games or so? Okay, not likely but a man can dream, and if you are going to dream deam big.....

For Four. More. Years.

In some ways, I am glad SJ only gives out 4-5 year contracts MAX, and usually talks guys into 3.

One of the only things Doug Wilson does right is convince guys to take hometown discounts......

Then of course, he usually goes and trades them.(Michalek, Setoguchi, Ehrhoff). A big part of why guys demand No trade clauses or No movement clauses now.

Thornton signing for 6.7 million 3 years at the time he was a Hart candidate when guys like Drury and Gomez were getting 6.5 to 7 million for long long stretches was highway robbery.

Archived