• Tampa Bay in 7
    • Detroit in 4 (Sweep)
    • Detroit in 5
    • Detroit in 6
    • Detroit in 7

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw on facebook that Mike Illich no longer owns the Wings.

Tyler Johnson does.

My God, we couldn't have done a better job of shutting down Stamkos only to have this little smurf absolutely own us. Unreal. All props, really, the kid went undrafted, was told he was too small at every level and is now the leagues least known superstar (although that is quickly changing) and deserves credit for his incredible series.

Kronner, Didn't leave his feet before he hit the guy, but led with his elbow to the face. Everyone who knows me knows I absolutely love the guy, but leading with an elbow to the face is an automatic suspension any time of the year. I am hoping the league doesn't do it right before game 7 but if they do, Kronwall did it to himself and the Wings.

But wow what a cool looking hit.

And a game 7 we shall have!

Alternating wins and losses...and if that trend continues, then it will be Det at Mon...Bolts will need to buck that trend and be the first team to win two consecutive if they want to punch their ticket to Habs Land.

Side to side, then go high...side to side, then go high..... the Mrazek formula, as demonstrated by Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn, and anyone else who has managed to loosen up the Detroit D on the Bolts en route to a goal or a primo scoring chance! ;)

Let's go BOLTS!

@TropicalFruitGirl26  Tough call, but just cheering for the Wings so the Flyers can get a better pick. Good GOD though, I have to respect the way Tyler Johnson has taken over this series...he is the undisputed leader of the Bolts...the proof is performance in BIG games, and Stammer has repeatedly failed to chip in. Got to be a LOT of pressure on him....geez, if the Bolts do get by the Wings, how dangerous will they be when Stammer does get untracked??

@TropicalFruitGirl26  Tough call, but just cheering for the Wings so the Flyers can get a better pick. Good GOD though, I have to respect the way Tyler Johnson has taken over this series...he is the undisputed leader of the Bolts...the proof is performance in BIG games, and Stammer has repeatedly failed to chip in. Got to be a LOT of pressure on him....geez, if the Bolts do get by the Wings, how dangerous will they be when Stammer does get untracked??

See, that's the thing...at least, how I've been looking at it.

Sure, first things first...they gotta get by the Wings, which at this point, is NOT guaranteed, not even close!

However, that said, Stamkos may very well 'wake up' so to speak, should the Bolts get to the Semi Finals.

By the standards everyone holds Stamkos to, yes, he has been disappointing. He still has some assists on key goals and he still commands heavy and detailed coverage by the Detroit defense and posts and/or crossbars have been his nemesis as well.

That all said, I give credit to the Detroit defense and in particular, Pavel Datsyuk and HIS line, in how they've been able to help keep Stamkos frustrated.

The Wings overall, have done an outstanding job in managing the Bolts offense.

We can clearly see that when Detroit DOESN'T stick to their game plan, when they DON'T keep to their assignments, and when they DON'T execute, guys like Johnson and his talented teammates can eat them alive.

Lots of credit to the job the entire Detroit team has done in shutting down a high powered offense, while still managing to get goals themselves. That is why this has been a series.

And should the Bolts move on from Game 7, then Montreal will have to come up with their version of Petr Mrazek, the smart Detroit defense, and a line as good as Datsyuk's and Glendenning's to shut down both Stamkos and Johnson on their respective lines.

Outside of the Mrazek part (we all know Price is probably the best goalie in the league this year), the Habs may have trouble fulfilling the other requirements.

And under that scenario, you very well may see Stamkos come alive once again, Johnson continue to do what he has been doing, and some other guys (Callahan, Kucherov, for example) wake up as well.

Not looking past the Wings and Game 7 mind you, but just saying....the Wings have done about as well as a team can do to stifle the Bolts.

Any other team (at least in the East) may be hard pressed to come up with the kind of game plan and execution the Wings have come up with, and do it as consistently as the Wings have.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  You know, when I watched the last game, I never ever gave Sustr enough credit for being such a smart D-man, he's so confident and his positonal play in his own end is beyond reproach...he's definitely one of the unsung heroes on your team...does not get any press, but does the little things like chip ins, strong play through the neutral zone etc...so very well!

@TropicalFruitGirl26  I don't think home ice is gonna matter so much against a veteran Wings team...in the end, it will come down to things, as per usual...who can stay disciplined and out of the box and who want's it more! I suspect Tyler Johnson will force the Wings hand here....when you see him blow by an awesome skater like DeKeyser like he's standing still, the only move will be to pull him down...and the Bolts should get at least 2 pp's out of that....and it very well could make the difference....you just can't allow Johnson to break in off that wing anymore....gotta haul him down and try and kill off the penalty.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  I don't think home ice is gonna matter so much against a veteran Wings team...in the end, it will come down to things, as per usual...who can stay disciplined and out of the box and who want's it more! I suspect Tyler Johnson will force the Wings hand here....when you see him blow by an awesome skater like DeKeyser like he's standing still, the only move will be to pull him down...and the Bolts should get at least 2 pp's out of that....and it very well could make the difference....you just can't allow Johnson to break in off that wing anymore....gotta haul him down and try and kill off the penalty.

Home ice has not been a factor at all so far in this series, IMO.

Really....I can't think of a single example anywhere that showed "Hey, Detroit got a win here because of home ice" or vice versa.

I mean, it's nice that the Bolts have the Game 7 in their own arena, but thinking of THAT, instead of what kind of execution they will need to have to overcome very good Wings planning, should be the LAST thing on their minds.

The fans will be behind them, they will be loud, they will be raucous...that is fine..but they ain't gonna rattle the Wings at this point, as you pointed out, and they ain't gonna win the game.

Bolts gotta figure that out for themselves.

And hey, if the Bolts can get the darn PP going, THAT in itself would be huge in not only giving them a scoreboard advantage, but in helping to curtail some of Detroit's aggressiveness...after all, if the Wings worry about going down a man because the Bolt PP is gonna eviscerate them, maybe they think a bit too much before going for that hit or raising that stick, or starting a scrum.....

As it stands now, with how pathetic the Bolts PP has been, the Wings don't even think about things like that.

As for Sustr, I have been in his corner since the Bolts brought him up to the bigs.

He is large, he can skate, has a touch of offense to his game, and when properly prodded, CAN be a physical force in his own zone.

And THAT is my main issue with him.

He is 6'8, around 235-240 pounds or so.....and simply does NOT use his size nearly enough!

I get that he is mostly a 'finesse' big player, but still, many times during the season, he needed to separate man from puck, and ALL he needed to do was lean in on a guy, give him a good shot, lay a shoulder into a guy........but no, he goes around poking his stick around like he was a 5'10 190 pound D-man dealing with a power forward.....and the guy blows by him with a good scoring chance on the TB goaltender.

I can see a guy like Matt Carle playing that way.....it is who he is, for better or worse, but you expect more from a guy the size of a basketball power forward or a football tight end, right?

I still am a fan of his....just wish he'd be a tad 'meaner' out there.

Oh, and the Bolts will probably need to make a decision on both he and Mark Barberio, who were given one year 'show me' contracts at the beginning of this year.

The Lightning, it seems, would rather have Sustr, as he has been given more ice time and games than Barberio, but I still wonder if Stevie Y will gamble that he will improve his overall game to match that of one who is the size, strength, and skill that he has shown in spurts.

@Polaris922

You know how I am about my Wings and Kronner, but damn, it was the right call. Gutsy to do it before a game 7 but nonetheless the absolute right call. I am going back to bed now and pull the blankets over my head.

@yave1964

Sorry bud I know how much you like him, but I think he routinely launches off his skates to use his arse when he hits, and frequently clothes lines with that arm, he just usually times it to be dead in impact so they leave it alone. But we've had this talk. I'm sorry for you one of your favorite Wings is out, but applaud the NHL for finally getting it right with him.

@yave1964

Sorry bud I know how much you like him, but I think he routinely launches off his skates to use his arse when he hits, and frequently clothes lines with that arm, he just usually times it to be dead in impact so they leave it alone. But we've had this talk. I'm sorry for you one of your favorite Wings is out, but applaud the NHL for finally getting it right with him.

Can't disagree more than I do with this statement. There is only one hit that I have seen where Kronner left his skates prior to the point of contact, and it was literally one frame prior to contact--less than 1/30 of a second. On this hit, his right skate is down at the point of contact. He DOES leave his skates AFTER contact is initiated on ALL of his hits, but that is NORMAL when you hit someone hard like that. His skates are not the legitimate reason for this suspension, nor his history.

What makes this hit different than many of his others is that he primarily hits the head with an extended forearm. If you were to remove the player's head from his body, unlike, say, the hit on Vorachek, the body would have been checked, but not like the head was hit with the forearm. If body were still to go through body, even if the player's head is down, that's not an illegal head check. The head's just in the way. Not so here. He reached out to ensure he got more contact by raising his arm and got the head primarily with that arm. THAT is what makes this hit justifiably suspendable, not his skates.

Along with my Red Wings brother @yave1964 , I agree that this hit should have received supplemental discipline I.e. suspension, not a fine. I have defended him many a time, but I can't defend this aspect of the hit. It was wrong, illegal, and he should be suspended because of that. The league got this one right, and they have gotten most of the calls on his other hits right too. This one was different.

Can't disagree more than I do with this statement. There is only one hit that I have seen where Kronner left his skates prior to the point of contact, and it was literally one frame prior to contact--less than 1/30 of a second. On this hit, his right skate is down at the point of contact. He DOES leave his skates AFTER contact is initiated on ALL of his hits, but that is NORMAL when you hit someone hard like that. His skates are not the legitimate reason for this suspension, nor his history.

What makes this hit different than many of his others is that he primarily hits the head with an extended forearm. If you were to remove the player's head from his body, unlike, say, the hit on Voychek, the body would have been checked, but not like the head was hit with the forearm. If body were still to go through body, even if the player's head is down, that's not an illegal head check. The head's just in the way. Not so here. He reached out to ensure he got more contact by raising his arm and got the head primarily with that arm. THAT is what makes this hit justifiably suspendable, not his skates.

Along with my Red Wings brother @yave1964 , I agree that this hit should have received supplemental discipline I.e. suspension, not a fine. I have defended him many a time, but I can't defend this aspect of the hit. It was wrong, illegal, and he should be suspended because of that. The league got this one right, and they have gotten most of the calls on his other hits right too. This one was different.

Agree to disagree. He throws himself up into opponents, which is why his arse hits the chest fairly often. BOTH skates should be on the ice not just his right. Again we've debated this guy's hits ad nauseum, so no point doing it again. Agree the suspension is due to head contact. Disagree on what kind of player Kronwall is.

@Polaris922

We've talked about this before at length, you and I, so I will say only this about his previous hits, and no more. I'll give you the last word on those.

If one skate is still on the ice, your skates have not left the ice. You are still on it, last I checked. Nowhere in the rules does it state that taking one skate off the ice makes a hit illegal. Being airborne before contact "leaving your feet"--plural--is a charge. You are not airborne if one skate is still on the ice. Not liking Kronwall doesn't change that.

And nowhere does a rule ban driving up into a player as you hit him, none that I've read, anyway. There would be a whole lot more discipline if that was the case, and IMHO the game is neutered at that point. No using your arse to hit people? Really? I might agree that ONLY using your arse to hit someone might be wrong, but are you really arguing that as you check a player hard, you can only use your shoulder and the side of your torso and not your arse? If that is what you're saying, that we will have to STRONGLY agree to disagree.

The ONLY hit where I've seen Kronwall leave his feet prior to contact was the Kessler hit, and it was literally one frame prior to initiation of contact--less than 1/30 of a second. Technically speaking, he left his feet prior to contact on that hit, so if you want to call that hit illegal by the letter of the law, I can't argue. If you call that a "dirty" hit, I've got more of an issue with that, because 1/30 of a second, IMHO, completely ignores the spirit of the law, so on that we will agree to disagree. I don't think he's dirty. I think saying that leaving your feet 1/30 of a second prior to contact is leaving your feet "early" is stretching the law to fit your dislike of a player, but as I said, I admit he left his feet on that hit before the contact. But he doesn't do that on this one. His right skate is down until after contact is made, then it leaves the ice.

I have more trouble with this hit than any of his previous hits, because he raises the forearm to make the hit to the head. He did it in part because otherwise the hit wasn't gonna be square on the body. That's wrong. If Kronwall had not raised his arm, I would have had NO problem with this hit. None. And the rules would agree with me. The hit wouldn't have been as dramatic or forceful without the arm raised.

So, if you are saying that Kronwall is a "dirty" player because of 1/30 of a second on one hit plus this hit, despite how long a career and how many games he has played, it think it says more about you not liking Kronner than it does about Kronner.

I'll be glad to discuss THIS hit more, but honestly, for the most part we are already in agreement that it is a violation, and a suspendable one, so not sure where else this goes other than its significance to the outcome of this series. Tough to see how the timing could be worse, but I still think the Wings can pull off the upset. This does make it more difficult. Kronwall is a big part of why there is a Game 7 in the first place.

I give you the last word on other hits Polaris. Case stated. If you don't agree, we can agree to disagree fairly agreeably. Agreed? :-)

Game 7 Day!

A little over 8.5 hours away....Bolts have things in their favor for this game, now just gotta execute like they did in Game 6, give no quarter to the Wings, while trying to solve Petr Mrazek .....psst, hey Lightning:  side to side, then go high....side to side, then go high.....   ;)

Tampa Bay doesn't have to do much above and beyond of what they did last game, but I WOULD keep the aggressiveness even if they hold a lead.

Pretty obvious that the Bolts overall D simply isn't good enough as a group to simply sit back on a lead....they need to be proactive at all times.

The Wings, of course, have to continue to play their execution game to perfection.

That (and Mrazek) has been what has allowed them to stay in this series......picture perfect execution of stifling the TB offense, while Mrazek cleans up mistakes.

Any of those falter (execution on defense and/or Mrazek), and we have seen what the results are like for Detroit.........

Let's Go Bolts!

@TropicalFruitGirl26 @yave1964

Zidlicky is out for Game 7 along with Nik Kronwall (suspension).

Going to be a tough game for the Wings to win now. Still possible, but the stars will have to be in proper alignment. Hope they did their daily devotions! ;-)

Wait, do I hear the fat lady warming up?

@TropicalFruitGirl26 @yave1964

Zidlicky is out for Game 7 along with Nik Kronwall (suspension).

Going to be a tough game for the Wings to win now. Still possible, but the stars will have to be in proper alignment. Hope they did their daily devotions! ;-)

Wait, do I hear the fat lady warming up?

I haven't looked at game day reports in-depth yet....so who comes in on defense for Detroit?

I figured Marchenko would be one...who is the other?

@Claude Monet  LMAO. That was the nicest goal I've "ever" seen Coburn score....nothing else is even close. If I was a betting man, I'd say he could try that upper corner rocket a 100 times and only score that one time!!  Great timing, after all my bad mouthing of Coburn....I've gotta eat a bit of crow on this, regardless of how this game turns out.

Archived