Auston Matthews - 2016 #1 Draft Prospect

hf101

Auston Matthews breaks Kanes Point Record

AustonMatthews_USA3_672.jpg

Auston Matthews, a projected top pick in the 2016 NHL Draft, established a new record with 107 points in a season for the United States National Team Development Program under-18 team.

The native of Scottsdale, Ariz., had 49 goals and 58 assists in 55 games this season; the 107 points broke the record set by current Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane, who had 102 points (52 goals, 50 assists) in 2005-06.

Matthews had 12 goals and 17 points in 20 games with the U-18 team in 2013-14.

Matthews, born Sept. 17, 1997, missed the cut for the 2015 draft by two days. If he was eligible, most scouts believe he'd be among the top three picks for the 2015 draft, along with Erie Otters center Connor McDavid and Boston University center Jack Eichel.

Matthews missed five games while playing for the United States at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship in January; he had one and three points in five games.

Eichel, who played for the USNTDP U-18 team last season, had 38 goals and 87 points in 53 games.

"Auston plays a different game than Eichel," Central Scouting's David Gregory said. "He's a strong, powerful player. Eichel does it with power and grace with that long stride; Auston does it with pure strength and quickness. It's a different kind of quickness. His compete level is off the charts and he thinks the game so well."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As noted above USA's Auston Matthews is slated to go #1 in the 2016 draft.  

Here are some others to keep an eye out for this season, via NHL.com

British Columbia Hockey League

Dante Fabbro, Penticton, D: Fabbro (6-0, 188), chosen in the first round (No. 8) of the 2013 Western Hockey League draft by the Seattle Thunderbirds, had 29 assists and 33 points in 44 games for the Vees in 2014-15. "Fabbro is a smooth skating, smart, offensive-defenseman," NHL Central Scouting's John Williams said.

Tyson Jost, Penticton, C: Jost (5-10, 185), chosen in the first round (No. 7) of the 2013 WHL draft by the Everett Silvertips, had 23 goals and 45 points in 46 games last season. "Jost is a smart, skilled forward and was named captain for Penticton this season," Williams said.

Quebec Major Junior Hockey League

Julien Gauthier, Val-d'Or, RW: Gauthier (6-3, 217) will be entering his third season with the Foreurs. He had 38 goals and 73 points in 68 regular-season games and five goals and 10 points in 17 playoff games in 2014-15. Central Scouting's Troy Dumville, who evaluates prospects in the QMJHL, said Gauthier is a good skater and will play hard in the traffic areas. He was invited to Hockey Canada's junior evaluation camp for possible participation in the 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Luke Green, Saint John, D: The Sea Dogs led all teams in the Canadian Hockey League with a franchise record seven players selected in the 2015 draft. Green (5-11, 174) might be the best of this year's group. He had 30 assists and 36 points in 60 regular-season games for the Sea Dogs last season when he played big minutes and exhibited good mobility and vision on a young team.

Pierre-Luc Dubois, Cape Breton, LW: Dubois (6-2, 183) had 10 goals and 45 points as an alternate captain for the team in 2014-15. "I loved his compete level as a 16-year-old this past season," Dumville said. "He should have a big year."

National Collegiate Athletic Association

Luke Kunin, University of Wisconsin, RW: Kunin (5-11, 188) had 27 goals, including seven power-play goals, and 42 points in 61 games as captain for the U.S. Under-18 NTDP in 2014-15.

Charles McAvoy, Boston University, D: McAvoy (6-foot, 206), an offensive-defenseman, had seven goals and 40 points in 63 games for the U.S. U-18 NTDP.

Ontario Hockey League

Jakob Chychrun, Sarnia, D: The son of former NHL player Jeff Chychrun had 16 goals and 33 points in 42 games as an alternate captain for the Sting in 2014-15. He was chosen No. 1 by the Sting in the 2014 OHL draft.

Matthew Tkachuk, London, LW: The son of former NHL player Keith Tkachuk had 38 goals, including five game-winners, as well as 95 points and 119 penalty minutes for the USNTDP. "There's a definite resemblance, but Matthew probably has a more creative upside and that's no disrespect to dad," USNTDP coach Don Granato said. "He loves the front of the net and believes he can score goals, tips, screens and rebounds; there's not much hesitation."

Max Jones, London, LW: Jones (6-2, 200), a native of Rochester, Mich., was selected by the Knights in the first round (No. 18) of the 2014 OHL draft. He had 18 goals, 28 points and 189 penalty minutes in 38 games with the U-17 USNTDP in 2014-15.

"He's a complete player," London coach Dale Hunter told lfpress.com. "He's a fast player. He's skilled. In big games, like you see in the National Hockey League right now, he raises his game. That's what we need in London. He's going to put up lots of numbers during the year but come playoff time, he raises his game to another level and that's what you need to win."

United States Hockey League

Clayton Keller, USA U-18, C: Keller (5-10, 165), committed to Boston University for 2016-17, had 31 goals and 67 points in 45 games with Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minn.) in 2013-14. He led Shattuck to the Toyota-USA Hockey national championship. Keller starred on left wing on a line with center Colin White, who was selected in the first round (No. 21) of the 2015 draft by the Ottawa Senators, and Jeremy Bracco (Toronto Maple Leafs, No. 61) on the U.S. U-18 NTDP last season.

Kieffer Bellows, USA U-18, C: Bellows (6-foot, 189), the son of former NHL player Brian Bellows, had 33 goals and 52 points in 58 regular-season games with the Sioux Falls Stampede in 2014-15. He was named USHL Rookie of the Year; his 33 goals set a USHL Tier I era record for goals by a 16-year-old. He helped lead the Stampede to the 2015 Clark Cup Championship, scoring nine goals in 12 playoff games, including four game-winners. Bellows is physical and likes to use his size to his advantage around the net. Committed to Boston University in 2016-17, Bellows skated for Edina High School in Minnesota prior to joining Sioux Falls. He won a 2014 Minnesota Class 2A state championship at Edina.

Western Hockey League

Tyler Benson, Vancouver, LW: Benson (5-11, 198), selected No. 1 by the Giants in the 2013 WHL draft, had 14 goals and 45 points in 62 games as a top-line player in his rookie season. Williams likes his compete level, good touch around the cage and physicality.

Sam Steel, Regina, C: Steel (5-10, 167), chosen No. 2 by the Pats in the 2013 WHL draft, had 17 goals and 54 points in 61 games in his first full season in Regina. "He's a skilled player with speed and quickness; a good playmaker," Williams said.

I would like to mention that The US National Development Program Under-17 and Under-18 teams play games domestically against opponents and its a program based off the Soviet style play together around the calendar system which is a main factor in the success the US has had at the U-18 level, as no other country plays together as much or is capable of sending its best roster like the US does. I think it is equally important to speak of the U-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament that is held 8 months prior to the U-18. It is the only competition of the two in which Canada is able to send its best U-18 team…as a result Canada is currently on a 7 straight gold medal streak.

With regards to Matthews, I think he will be a great player yes but I wouldn't go as far as saying he is the clear cut #1. Lets see what he does in Zurich against men, a poor season could drop him and now until Summer 2016 is a long time. Depending on a teams needs I wouldn't be surprised to see 17 year old 6'2" 194lbs man child defender Jakob Chychrun go first 1st overall…I mean he is projected to be better than Aaron Ekblad.

Jakob Chychrun

Ql4TMfbg.jpeg

1297624802209_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

I wouldn't be surprised to see 17 year old 6'2" 194lbs man child defender Jakob Chychrun go first 1st overall…I mean he is projected to be better than Aaron Ekblad.

Is he? 

uhh, no.

Easy there, there are numerous articles suggesting he will with opinions of scouts and hockey minds greater than both you and me combined.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/19/super-rookie-chychrun-following-ekblads-footsteps

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2015/02/19/super-rookie-chychrun-following-ekblads-footsteps

http://thehockeywriters.com/2016-nhl-draft-rankings-top-3/

From the 3rd link - "Chychrun was actually voted as being further in his development than Ekblad was after his first year. The 6’2, 194 pound man-child scored 16 goals and 33 points in his 42 games for a poor Sarnia Sting team. He looks like a surefire franchise defenceman."

@92WickedHockey

Well the first two articles are the same.

So they found 5 scouts who think Chychryn is better? Did they say how many scouts thought Ekblad was better? 

I think Chychryns a great prospect. i wouldn't write off him going 1st overall. (though I doubt it) I'll admit to being a biased Colts fan, but Ekblad was a man at 17. Not a well developed teenager...he was a man. 

@hf101  I saw that list and was gonna post it, until I saw it totallly left out two Spits who are supposed to be top 10 material....Logan Brown should be listed in the OHL part at the very least, the fact he's not takes away from the list IMHO.

@92WickedHockey  Unfortunatley, I didn't get to any Sarnia games last year, but I'm gonna have to check this kid out for myself, he's in our division, so many chances to see him....BUT...I have a REAL hard time believing he's better than Exblad.

@92WickedHockey Unfortunatley, I didn't get to any Sarnia games last year, but I'm gonna have to check this kid out for myself, he's in our division, so many chances to see him....BUT...I have a REAL hard time believing he's better than Exblad.

It's a matter of personal opinion, just look at a highlight package of him. All I'm saying is there is no point saying Matthews is the for sure 1st overall pick in 2016, a lot happens in the time from now to next summer. Teams sometimes pick the best defender over forward, Sam Reinhart was the best forward available in 2014 but the Panthers decided to pick Ekblad.

• 4 weeks later...

Huh. Is that the best thing for his development?

Maybe he's trying to drop his stock a bit? Might be the best thing for his pro career. :ph34r:

Also, might end up being really  good for some guys in the Swiss league.

Huh. Is that the best thing for his development?

Which is strange. Not sure why this was his choice....to be different????

Chris Peters has a rather good piece on why playing in Switzerland is maybe the best choice for this season for Matthews.

Some key points:

6' 210 lb Matthews turns 18 Sept 17th  which is 2 days after the cuttoff date for 2015's draft class. Some say he may have been the #2 if not the #3 pick of the draft as he is a different player that Eichel.   

Matthews would have needed to accelerate his schooling in order to attend college this year as he is or would be a high school senior.  Which would have meant a summer in school with little hockey and no guarantee of playing in the NCAA next fall.

As a member of the U.S. National Under-18 Team, Matthews has already laid waste to the record books of which were previously held by Patrick Kane or Phil Kessel.

Matthews has essentially played two years of junior hockey while at the NTDP, and while the Everett Silvertips of the WHL holds his rights a 3rd year of junior hockey may not progress his development, ie Connor McDavid really wasn't challenged last season.

In Switzerland Mathews will play more games than in the NCAA and less games in WHL, and he'll also make  money while playing with and against seasoned professionals.

Another huge reason for the choice in choosing the Swiss league I believe is Matthews will be coached by former NHL coach and Stanley Cup champion Marc Crawford.

• 2 months later...

Archived