Flyers sign Christian Marti (D) to ELC

I follow the Q and I never heard of him.

Well he looked pretty fluid in the video i seen of him as a stay at home defender. I'm sure he is slated to start for the Phantoms...unless Hexy can move some of the sloths off the Flyers.

Well he looked pretty fluid in the video i seen of him as a stay at home defender. I'm sure he is slated to start for the Phantoms...unless Hexy can move some of the sloths off the Flyers.

If he frees up some space on the blueline, it's unlikely that Marti would be on the Flyers. He would have to really really impress. Even shedding Schenn and Grossmann, we will have 6 NHL defensemen - Streit, MacDud, MDZ, Schultz, Gudas, and Manning. Maybe I should have put "NHL" in quotes, haha. He'd also have to outplay Ghost and Morin.

Anything's possible, right? That looks like a very weak blueline right now. Weaker than we had last season. But you know, maybe Hextall pulls off a swift trade or picks a guy like Werenski / Provorov who impresses so much in camp, he earns a spot. Not unheard of, right?

Or if a guy like Crouse, Barzal, or Rantanen earns a spot, maybe one of our prospects (say, Laughton) becomes expendable and can be turned into an NHL-ready defenseman?

@brelic  Considering Morin was one of the very last cuts last year, I would think he has the inside track at a roster spot....I don't think he regressed, even with the broken jaw fiasco....although I'd like to see him with some AHL seasoning moving forward.....but I can't see a guy like Marti jumping ahead of him on the depth chart, possible, but very unlikely.

@jammer2

Regressed? I don't think so either. He put up almost identical numbers in just over half the games as the season before. I think Morin is coming along just fine. I still want him to start in the A though.

@flyercanuck  Same here, would like to see him at least start in the A and go from there....no need to rush.....plus it would give Hexy some room to maneuver, let some injuries happen on other teams defenses, thus making our stiffs alluring......lol.

@brelic  Considering Morin was one of the very last cuts last year, I would think he has the inside track at a roster spot....I don't think he regressed, even with the broken jaw fiasco....although I'd like to see him with some AHL seasoning moving forward.....but I can't see a guy like Marti jumping ahead of him on the depth chart, possible, but very unlikely.

I think Morin will see some time with the Phantoms, and that's a good thing. I agree, I don't see Marti jumping ahead of him in his very first NHL training camp.

I think Morin will see some time with the Phantoms, and that's a good thing. I agree, I don't see Marti jumping ahead of him in his very first NHL training camp.

Yes i expect him to start in the AHL as well...but Sanheim i would expect to see him get the full 9 games before being sent to juniors.

But we'll see they didn't give Morin 9 games last year but maybe that was due to the 50 Dmen they had signed for the start of the season.

Who knows i guess we'll have to trust in Hexy's plan...

I can see Sanheim building on his fantastic offensive season this year. If he is injury free, and only gone from the Hitmen for the 9 game Flyer tryout...I see him averaging 1.4 pts per game, or somewhere in that range....about 75 pts or so...

@flyercanuck Same here, would like to see him at least start in the A and go from there....no need to rush.....plus it would give Hexy some room to maneuver, let some injuries happen on other teams defenses, thus making our stiffs alluring......lol.

That's the joy of an Undrafted 22 year old. He CAN play in the AHL.

I can see Sanheim building on his fantastic offensive season this year. If he is injury free, and only gone from the Hitmen for the 9 game Flyer tryout...I see him averaging 1.4 pts per game, or somewhere in that range....about 75 pts or so...

Well after thinking about the Flames and Sam Bennett's situation having to burn a year on his ELC because he has played 10 games these playoffs.

Maybe it's best to save Sanheim's game if they make the playoffs next year and need him in case of a rash of injuries happen you never know. I know tbey have others like Ghost,Hagg, and Morin. But i'd rather save his games for emergency since i'm pretty sure he is going back to juniors.

Maybe it's best to save Sanheim's game if they make the playoffs next year and need him in case of a rash of injuries happen you never know. I know tbey have others like Ghost,Hagg, and Morin. But i'd rather save his games for emergency since i'm pretty sure he is going back to juniors.

Never really thought of it from a playoff perspective, but a d-man is rarely thrown into the fire as a rookie in the post season. If there is gonna be emergency additions, it would probably be Alt or Manning...but you never know.

Never really thought of it from a playoff perspective, but a d-man is rarely thrown into the fire as a rookie in the post season. If there is gonna be emergency additions, it would probably be Alt or Manning...but you never know.

Well things happen...especially injuries we seen it in 2010 with Emery and the endless carousel after he went down.

And its a rare thing and Flyers have several others they can use first...but if the want a particular skillset not many can do what Sanheim can do...but the Flames needed Bennett and thought it waz worth the risk and they played him....risk/reward thing...they win the Cup and no one will care but if they go out this round everyone will second guess it.

Hell that is what the media does best....ask Chip...stir stir stir.

Yep.... Travis can play but is still a youngster. Skill wise, he could play on the flyers blue line but maturity wise.... 2 yrs away

Archived