All-Time New York Rangers Team

ScottM

HTS-NHL-NYR-A2011-01.jpg

Tonight, we'll round out the Original Six with a look back at the New York Rangers. Much like the Toronto Maple Leafs, there are a lot of players on this team that go back a long way, which is not surprising since three of the Rangers' four Cups were won before World War II. In fact, in some ways, this team may be more extreme than the Leafs team in that respect.

First Line: Vic Hadfield, Jean Ratelle, Bill Cook

Second Line: Adam Graves, Mark Messier, Andy Bathgate

Third Line: Steve Vickers, Phil Esposito, Bryan Hextall

Fourth Line: Bun Cook, Frank Boucher, Rod Gilbert

First Defensive Pair: Brad Park, Brian Leetch

Second Defensive Pair: Bill Gadsby, Harry Howell

Third Defensive Pair: Ching Johnson, Jim Neilson

Goaltenders: Henrik Lundqvist, Eddie Giacomin, Dave Kerr

Coach: Lester Patrick

The defensive corps on this squad is its most impressive feature, in my opinion. While none of them made my top 10 defensemen list, the two guys on the top pair didn't miss by much. In fact, while I still stand by that list, as I thought about the players on this team over the last couple of days, I'm convinced that if I expanded the list that Brad Park would be the very next guy on the list. There's also a move from my pick of the best Rangers player of all-time that I posted in a previous thread. I listed Leetch before, but now I'll go with Park. It's close, but Park is my guy.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I'll admit to not feeling all that great tonight, so if I left someone obvious off of the list, I beg your forgiveness on that. Should that prove to be the case, I'll amend this later. I decided to go ahead and do this tonight anyway so that I'd have something better to do than just lie around. Lol

Good list. However, I would like to see an all-time list without their rent-an-Oiler Cup year in 1994. Just sayin'. BTW, how are Sean Avery and Alexander Daigle not on that list??? ;)

BTW, how are Sean Avery and Alexander Daigle not on that list??? ;)

You mean I forgot them?! I told you I was out of it... Lol  ;)

Is it just me or is the all time rangers team rather weak compared to some of the other teams you have done?

That or i am severely underrating the likes of andy bathgate and vic hadfield, but either way, it is kinda sad that Jaromir Jagr (yes, i had to bring him up) in one season, had the best season of all right wingers in rangers history...

@JagerMeister I don't think there's any doubt that this team is weaker than, say, Montreal or Detroit, but much of what might be perceived as weakness by a lot of people is more of unfamiliarity than anything. The fact that a lot of this team goes back so far creates that issue. Many of the names that would be less recognized today are HOF'ers. Bathgate even won the Hart Trophy in 1959.

@FD19372 Yeah, the third goalie spot was kind of tough. It was the between the two of them and Chuck Rayner. Richter and Rayner are both worthy of an honorable mention. In the end, Kerr's stats were just too good to pass up.

@ScottM  It's a close call, cause I did like the way Jim Nielson played....but I would switch out Jim and Ching Johnson for Carol Vadnais and Dan Girardi....Dan could very well be the most under appreciated d-man in the league, respectable on offense, a shot blocking warrior on defense and a great crisp and clean break out pass literally almost every time he attempts one. For pure hockey IQ, Dan has to be in the top 5% of that particular skill...he's great every faucet of the game.

When it's all said and done, would not be shocked to see the 25 year old Ryan McDonough breaking into the top 6.....another super smart beautiful skater....the whole damn package. Girardi and McDonough are probably the top pairing in the league right now....or at least very close. Man oh man, do those two eat up the minutes also.....I don't think the Rags win either game 7 without these studs back on defense.

Archived