McDavid to win the Art Ross as a rookie?

ScottM

mcdavid-connor-620-getty-260914.jpg

Okay, this isn't my idea. But an article from The Hockey Writers suggests that he should at least be in the running.

http://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-mcdavid-should-push-for-scoring-title-in-rookie-season/ 

Yes, the guy is an incredible talent, but he isn't even in training camp yet. Maybe he'll have a rookie campaign for the ages, but I think this is WAY premature. Can't we let the guy at least find his big league skating legs before we start piling this sort of thing on him?

I absolutely agree that it's silly, but I can't help but wonder how much overhype we might hear before next season. McDavid seems to have the talent to win the Art Ross one day, but if this sort of thing gets thrown out there too often, does it put undue pressure on him? What kind of effect will it have on him and the Oilers (assuming they do draft him as expected)?

@flyercanuck I know that's true to a degree, but this is a whole new game now. I know Juniors are a big deal in Canada, But the money, the level, and the stage just got a whole lot bigger.

@hf101 Hmm... That PPG stat looks awfully familiar...

mcdavid-connor-620-getty-260914.jpg

Okay, this isn't my idea. But an article from The Hockey Writers suggests that he should at least be in the running.

http://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-mcdavid-should-push-for-scoring-title-in-rookie-season/ 

Yes, the guy is an incredible talent, but he isn't even in training camp yet. Maybe he'll have a rookie campaign for the ages, but I think this is WAY premature. Can't we let the guy at least find his big league skating legs before we start piling this sort of thing on him?

WAAAAAAAAY premature.  He could win the Calder, although even THAT is far from a guarantee, but the Art Ross????  LOL.  Nope.

-I highly doubt that Connor McDavid will win the scoring title next year.

-The OHL's offense is down about half a goal per game than when Kane was in the league. Not a massive difference, but it's there.

-PPG is pretty instructive, but I wish we had a better idea of ice time. I know the Knights are pretty infamous for loading up their top line players for vast amounts of ice time, which can inflate points. The year before, Dale Hunter did the same thing with Rob Schremp and rode him to an identical PPG number as Kane and McDavid. I have zero idea about whether or not Erie does this.

-A much bigger difference between the two players: Patrick Kane was almost a year older in his draft year than McDavid is in his draft year. Look at the amount of improvement in McDavid's game from the beginning of the 2105 season to the end... Does anybody think he would score "only" 2.5 pts/game if he played in the OHL next year? I doubt it.

@flyercanuck I know that's true to a degree, but this is a whole new game now. I know Juniors are a big deal in Canada, But the money, the level, and the stage just got a whole lot bigger.

@hf101 Hmm... That PPG stat looks awfully familiar...

Sure. But he's been under a microscope since he was a young teenager...heck even before he was a teenager. He's used to it. He's played in front of 20,000 rabid Canadian fans...he knows what its all about and he's handled quite well.

• 2 months later...

McDavid will put up at least 75 points, that is my prediction, I think he will win the Calder too. Hall and Eberle looked awesome with Crosby down the middle at times at the World Championships in Prague this past may, have to think McDavid won't be that much different. 

Archived