Does this make me a bandwagoner

Allshouse10

So I justed started getting into to hockey after I moved to florida from Pennsylvania. By default I was a pittsburgh fan but as I have started getting into the sport I really wanna root for tampa as I enjoyed watching them, love their color and emblem and wanted to pick a Florida team since being down here is the first I have gotten into hockey. However they are Doing pretty good in the play offs and I don't want people thinking that's the reason I'm rooting for them. Would that make me a bandwagoner?

@Allshouse10

Welcome to the board.

You could always be a Panthers fan. It might take them a few more years, but they look like they're on the way up. And it's more fun watching a team claw its way up than, as you say, jump on the bandwagon. Kudos for dumping the Pens though!  :thumbsu:

@Allshouse10 Welcome!

I second flyerscanuck on the Panthers. No one could accuse you as a bandwagoner if you chose them.

If you want to go with the Bolts' color scheme and avoid the bandwagon label, you could always choose Toron... Okay, no. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

If you want to go with the Bolts' color scheme and avoid the bandwagon label, you could always choose Toron(to).

LOL!  I was thinking the very same thing while reading the post.

I don't think it's bandwagoning.   If you're enjoying watching a team, that's who you enjoy.  Just stick with them when the cycle is complete and they go through the down time.

If you do enjoy watching a team that is "meh" but is getting  it's act together and will soon be good then I agree with the others that the Panthers might be of interest.

@Allshouse10

I second the Panthers recommendation. Some great young players like Ekblad, Barkov, Bjugstad to enjoy watching grow up. The Lightning are fine, but we already have some big Bolts fans here. Place needs a Panthers fan! Go rats!

@Allshouse10

Of course you could say you're just rooting for the 'home team' since you're in FLA now.  And besides, who cares?  

Choose your team, stick with them through thick and thin...and enjoy your hockey (the greatest sport on earth).

:) And welcome aboard!

So I justed started getting into to hockey after I moved to florida from Pennsylvania. By default I was a pittsburgh fan but as I have started getting into the sport I really wanna root for tampa as I enjoyed watching them, love their color and emblem and wanted to pick a Florida team since being down here is the first I have gotten into hockey. However they are Doing pretty good in the play offs and I don't want people thinking that's the reason I'm rooting for them. Would that make me a bandwagoner?

Welcome to HF.net.

Well, if you are JUST now really getting into the sport and have no long allegiance to the Penguins and want to switch over to a local team where you will be living, then there is nothing wrong with that.

What part of FL will you be in?  Lightning fanbase is considered "local" in north west and central FL, while the Panthers are considered "local" along the east coast of FL as well as the southern part of the state.

I wouldn't consider you a "bandwagoner" unless you only rooted or cared about a team when they are winning, then abandon them when they are losing....only to jump back on once they started winning again.

Only YOU know for sure what your motivation for rooting for a team is...you don't need anyone telling you that.

I'd say, just pick a team that you have a genuine interest in, stick with them for good or ill, but, if you REALLY want to be a true NHL fan, you will also pay at least a little bit of attention to the teams throughout the league, how they compare and contrast to your chosen team, how competitive your team vs theirs, and learn the nuances of styles, personnel, and various team strategies league wide.

Sure, it seems like a lot to take in, but honestly, if you are really interested enough, you will learn all these things over time through observation, reading stuff, and asking good questions of those who have followed the sport for years.

It has worked for me that way.....I was born n raised in Clearwater, FL, in a family of mostly football and baseball fans....yet I found a way to learn a TON about this crazy northern sport of hockey through various means.

And I still learn stuff everyday using the methods I suggested for you.

But, just pick a team you like, and stick with it.

I ALWAYS encourage would-be NHL fans to start with a local team if possible, because it is easier to follow them that way, with the most information readily available...but even if you don't choose locally, you can still learn much about any team you want to be a fan of.

Don't worry about who says you are a bandwagoner....again, YOU know why you chose a team.

Now, if you find yourself 'team hopping' whenever fortunes go bad for a team you chose, then you MIGHT be a bandwagoner....lol.

But even then, if that is how you enjoy your NHL, hey, more power to you.

Do things your way.

;)

There was so much promise as you start of as a Pens fan, sigh . . . . . .

But no, you're not a bandwagon fan as you are just picking out a team. Most would only call a person a bandwagon fan if he ONLY roots for a team when they are winning.    So in essence, pick whomever at this point, and stay with them.

thanks for the replies and im in the daytona beach area, i am going to just start following the bolts, obviously i get no bragging rights or anything like that if they end up winning this year, but i am looking forward to starting to watch them from the begining come begining of next season and even trying to go to some games

I hate the hockey snob/bandwagon nonsense. I'm a hawks fan in florida and get flak all the time. It's hard enough for me to find people to play/skate with as it is. I'm trying to learn how to play cause this is like a lifestyle for me. Just wish people would be cooler about it.

Archived