Something's Missing

ScottM

original_six.jpg?100143

Okay, I'm doing this off the top of my head, so forgive me if it's not absolutely perfect. Let's take a look at the history of "original six" teams meeting in the Stanley Cup Finals. We'll do it match-up by match-up with the years each occurred listed. STAY WITH ME UNTIL THE END. THIS IS GOING SOMEWHERE.

Montreal vs Toronto: 1947, 1951, 1959, 1960, 1962, 1967

Montreal vs Detroit: 1952, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1966

Montreal vs Boston: 1930, 1946, 1953, 1957, 1958, 1977, 1978

Montreal vs Chicago: 1931, 1944, 1965, 1971, 1973

Montreal vs New York: 1979

Toronto vs Detroit: 1936, 1942, 1945, 1948, 1949, 1963, 1964

Toronto vs Boston: 1939

Toronto vs Chicago: 1938

Toronto vs New York: 1932, 1933, 1940

Detroit vs Boston: 1941, 1943

Detroit vs Chicago: 1934, 1961

Detroit vs New York: 1937, 1950

Boston vs Chicago: 2013

Boston vs New York: 1929, 1972

What's missing? Did you notice that Chicago vs New York is not on the list above? Well, there's a reason for that. The Blackhawks and the Rangers have never met in the Stanley Cup Finals. It's the only possible match-up featuring original six teams that has never happened. With both teams one game away from a berth, we may be about to witness history. Even if we don't, you now know something that you can blow your friends' minds with.

The Blackhawks and the Rangers have never met in the Stanley Cup Finals.

That's just amazing.  I would have lost that bet!    Thanks for posting that; very interesting!

@ScottM  Nice research bro, did not know that. What are the odds that 2 teams in a 6 team league would not meet at some point in the finals. The Rangers were pretty stinky there for a stretch in the 50's and 60's.

NBCSports is likely rooting for this matchup for sure. 

For sure, two major cities....the only thing better would be LA and New York....but I'm betting way more Chicago residents would watch every game, where LA would be a tad pickier. One of the best possible outcomes for NBC.

I went over all the match-ups in my head several times and checked an online list of all the Finals match-ups to make certain I was right about this, and I was. Still, something kept making me question myself: no matter how much I searched, I couldn't find any mention of the fact that it has never happened on the internet. That truly baffles me. Why is it that I figured it out on the night of game six of one series without ever having heard it mentioned in the media? Shouldn't NBC and the NHL be playing this up to receive more attention? That would seem like the smart thing to do. The lack of coverage of this is astounding. I think I'll tweet it to the NHL and see what happens.

I went over all the match-ups in my head several times and checked an online list of all the Finals match-ups to make certain I was right about this, and I was. Still, something kept making me question myself: no matter how much I searched, I couldn't find any mention of the fact that it has never happened on the internet. That truly baffles me. Why is it that I figured it out on the night of game six of one series without ever having heard it mentioned in the media? Shouldn't NBC and the NHL be playing this up to receive more attention? That would seem like the smart thing to do. The lack of coverage of this is astounding. I think I'll tweet it to the NHL and see what happens.

They're probably holding onto it until the match up actually happens. THEN they will bombard people with it.   :)

They're probably holding onto it until the match up actually happens. THEN they will bombard people with it.   :)

That has to be it. I'm just thinking that I'd at least be teasing it. It seems that you might grow the interest in game seven a little more than it already will be.

Either way, I want to see it happen. I think it would be a really big thing for the sport.

That has to be it. I'm just thinking that I'd at least be teasing it. It seems that you might grow the interest in game seven a little more than it already will be.

Either way, I want to see it happen. I think it would be a really big thing for the sport.

The earliest they would mention it during a broadcast would be as the third period is winding down, with one team already set in the final, and the other team having a comfortable lead and simply running out the clock. ie: It has to be a "sure thing" before they will bring it up.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

What are the odds that 2 teams in a 6 team league would not meet at some point in the finals.

With the way the "regional" draft worked and the obvious advantages of the Canadian teams, it's not really that surprising.

Heck, the Leafs won 11 Cups that way.

Still, you would have thought it was "their turn" to meet in the Finals at some point...

:ph34r:

Archived