Timonen Benched

King Knut

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Timonen certainly sounds like he's embarrassed to be a part of all this:

https://twitter.com/kime4kids/status/604850916441718784/photo/1

He'd probably tell the Hawks he wouldn't want to tarnish the Cup with his presence.

:hocky:

Your refusal to acknowledge the entire point is beginning to change my mind. I'm thinking maybe it best he doesn't play, they win, and the NHL denies any petition.

Your refusal to acknowledge the entire point is beginning to change my mind. I'm thinking maybe it best he doesn't play, they win, and the NHL denies any petition.

As if you hadn't noticed my predilection for devils's advocacy...

It also makes things more interesting than everyone agreeing all the time.

As I'm sure you well know :)

There are two sides to every story and in this case there are lots of guys who "shouldn't" be on the Cup. Or who made it on because the team wanted to reward a deserving player for years of service to the sport with the ultimate accolade.

I do believe that the shades of "why" him or who is on the Cup is gilding a lily. Sure, might they have liked to be the captain who got to lift the Cup first? Who won the Conn Smythe? Who scored the game winning goal in Game 7 overtime? Who had a Finals hat trick? Wno wasn't taking the last grasp he had HOPED to do in Philadelphia toiling away in the press box in Chicago?

Yeah.

But they are all the same size on the Cup.

What am I missing?

As if you hadn't noticed my predilection for devils's advocacy...

It also makes things more interesting than everyone agreeing all the time.

As I'm sure you well know :)

There are two sides to every story and in this case there are lots of guys who "shouldn't" be on the Cup. Or who made it on because the team wanted to reward a deserving player for years of service to the sport with the ultimate accolade.

I do believe that the shades of "why" him or who is on the Cup is gilding a lily. Sure, might they have liked to be the captain who got to lift the Cup first? Who won the Conn Smythe? Who scored the game winning goal in Game 7 overtime? Who had a Finals hat trick? Wno wasn't taking the last grasp he had HOPED to do in Philadelphia toiling away in the press box in Chicago?

Yeah.

But they are all the same size on the Cup.

What am I missing?

Pretty much from the start I've been saying I hope for HIS sake he's able to make a genuine contribution to the team so HE feels like he earned it, and wasn't just along for the ride.  NHL players are competitors right?  So they have to feel the difference if I know I would.  I'm not saying it would be torture for him, just that you feel better about a victory when you actually contribute to it.  

Pretty much from the start I've been saying I hope for HIS sake he's able to make a genuine contribution to the team so HE feels like he earned it, and wasn't just along for the ride.  NHL players are competitors right?  So they have to feel the difference if I know I would.  I'm not saying it would be torture for him, just that you feel better about a victory when you actually contribute to it.  

Chris Kunitz has an Olympic Gold Medal. Timonen should feel just fine about himself.

Chris Kunitz has an Olympic Gold Medal. Timonen should feel just fine about himself.

So now a two week tournament, in which he played a regular role, was noted as "not bad but not great" and scored 1 goal in 6 games translates to being benched in the playoffs after 16 regular season games where Timonen was a pointless minus 3, 15 playoff games with no positive stats to speak of, 8 PIM, and being burned regularly including being benched three games?  

Wow you're beyond stretching here.  Kunitz was no moving force, but Timonen has been a healthy scratch for three games now.   Your comparison reminds me of Rick somehow...  

The saddest thing about this thread is my whole point is I hope if they do win he DOES SOMETHING TO FEEL HE EARNED IT and some of you Flyers fans STILL pick at me for it.  

Screw it....  I hope he never gets even close to the damn thing.  He SUCKS as a player and now we see the true #warrior riding the pine... where he'll have to stay.  Now I'll have at least earned all the criticizing bullshit posts...  

So now a two week tournament, in which he played a regular role, was noted as "not bad but not great" and scored 1 goal in 6 games translates to being benched in the playoffs after 16 regular season games where Timonen was a pointless minus 3, 15 playoff games with no positive stats to speak of, 8 PIM, and being burned regularly including being benched three games?  

Wow you're beyond stretching here.  Kunitz was no moving force, but Timonen has been a healthy scratch for three games now.   Your comparison reminds me of Rick somehow...  

The saddest thing about this thread is my whole point is I hope if they do win he DOES SOMETHING TO FEEL HE EARNED IT and some of you Flyers fans STILL pick at me for it.  

Screw it....  I hope he never gets even close to the damn thing.  He SUCKS as a player and now we see the true #warrior riding the pine... where he'll have to stay.  Now I'll have at least earned all the criticizing bullshit posts...  

My first post in this entire thread other than mentioning minimum games required and the Flyers old boys club. In other words I haven't said a word about Timonen the warrior deserving the Conn Smythe or anything else about him. 

Meanwhile you have a bunch of posts reminding us all over and over how far Timonen has fallen. We get it. We'll take the picks and move on, and hope he gets his name on the trophy. I won't hold it up as any great Philly accomplishment, just a good for him thing.

Kunitz scored a goal? Wow. Wonder if Timonen would have any points if he rode Duncan Keiths coattails? I'd think playing with one of the worlds best would get him at least a point, just like Kunitz.

Wonder if Timonen would have any points if he rode Duncan Keiths coattails? I'd think playing with one of the worlds best would get him at least a point

You would think huh?  But DESPITE time with both Keith and Seabrook on the power play in the regular season it didn't.  The best offensive team in the playoffs and he has zero.  So carry on...   You tell me I kept posting about how far he's fallen, and I disagree.  I kept posting explaining my stance as one or two Flyers faithful kept responding to me forcing me to clarify my point, as they didn't want to read it, apparently.  Your post included.  

I won't hold it up as any great Philly accomplishment, just a good for him thing.

That is the right way to look at it, can't see any Flyers fans thumping their chest about Kimo having to go somewhere else to get the job done we could never do. If anything, it puts a spotlight on how pitiful our franchise has become.

@Polaris922

I DID read it. Over and over. And over. Until I finally thought I'd mention I get it. 

Like I said, I'm happy to take the picks. If he gets his name on a cup, good for him. I'm more concerned about whether those 2nds turn into something interesting.

I think Timonen has simply been painful to watch. He looks horrible.

I'm asking this part seriously because I really don't knew: if the Hawks win and he either hasn't played again or only once, has he played enough to get his name on the Cup? Is there a rule?

Ruxpin, I thought the rule was a player had to play at least 40 regular season games or play at least 1 game in the finals to get his name on the cup but I could be wrong.

That is the right way to look at it, can't see any Flyers fans thumping their chest about Kimo having to go somewhere else to get the job done we could never do. If anything, it puts a spotlight on how pitiful our franchise has become.

Honestly, I've never really seen the thrill of an ex-Flyer winning a cup somewhere else. Im mean good for him and all, but I'd rather see those picks turn into good players...by far.

@flyercanuck  I've never had any sense of beaming pride at watching Gagne, Williams, Carter, Richards, Sharp, Brindy, and the many, many others who have gone on to win it all. Sure, I'm glad for them and all, but in the end, I'm concerned about my team....and seeing them wins just drives home the point that we are not.

And, again, that's splitting hairs. I have specifically agreed that players would "prefer" to have done any number of things in contribution for winning a Cup.

Ray Bourque would have preferred to win the Cup in Boston. He would have preferred to win it in his first year in Colorado.

That's why I posted the Timonen tweet - where he is specifically saying that his "dream is still alive!" after winning a game in which he didn't play and a series which he didn't actually contribute much to.

You can sit and speculate all day about how he feels - until the cows come home, are milked, go to sleep, wake up, go out again, eat their fill, chew their cud, come back home, are milked again and go to sleep - the facts are that the player you are speculating about feels pretty damn good to be thisclose to "his dream."

I'm happy that you "wish he could contribute more" but all the backhanded compliments in the world don't change the basic fact that the most important thing to the player is being on the Cup regardless of how he gets there.

I understand exactly how you feel about the situation. It has very little to do with how Timonen feels about the situation.

You can probably guess which "feeling" I find more important. :hocky:

@flyercanuck  I've never had any sense of beaming pride at watching Gagne, Williams, Carter, Richards, Sharp, Brindy, and the many, many others who have gone on to win it all. Sure, I'm glad for them and all, but in the end, I'm concerned about my team....and seeing them wins just drives home the point that we are not.

Brind'amour remains the single happiest person I have ever seen lift the Cup.

I was happy Gagne shoehorned his name onto the Cup - regardless of how Polaris feels about how Gagne might feel about whether or not he contributed enough (:ph34r:)

And obviously my Catalumni Sharp :)

Was it "the same" as being able to see a Flyer do it? Not at all.

@radoran  Great point rad, as long as Kimo feels proud of how things are transpiring....that is all that really matters. I'm sure he went though a WHOLE lot of BS and rehab...and probably went against his families wishes to make this happen, so factoring in personal sacrifice I'm sure is counting in this mess somewhere. It's not just the play on the ice, but the dedication he showed just to get into that position again.

Being the ever faithful Flyer, I'm sure Kimo is hoping that these 2 picks can work for the team in a positive manner also...not many would think that way, but Kimo is pretty damn loyal, so I could see that being part of his thinking.

Being the ever faithful Flyer, I'm sure Kimo is hoping that these 2 picks can work for the team in a positive manner also...not many would think that way, but Kimo is pretty damn loyal, so I could see that being part of his thinking.

If he can get his name on the Cup and benefit the Flyers, I don't think there would be anyone more thrilled than Timonen.

Maybe he could even coach the picks :)

@radoran  If Kimo had played for the Flyers longer than 7 years, I would seriously think about retiring his number, just no here quite long enough. What an awesome warrior though, hopefully he can teach our defensemen for years to come after this playoff run....he would be a GREAT coach.

Archived