Official - Kessel to Pens for prospects, picks

pilldoc

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched Phil look dead into a camera and say "everybody knows, there is one set of rules for everyone else, and another for me." It was lots and lots of stations....Global, Sportsnet, TSN, even my local CTV station carried it...it was big news. He also said it with a cavalier attitude, practically bragging that he can dictate things.

Sorry @jammer2 but if somone as polarizing as Phil freaking Kessel said something that egregious while playing hockey in Toronto I'd find quotes, clips.....something....out there in cyber space.  Especially if as many media outlets as you are saying did a story on it.  Maybe the context (if said) was referencing how he feels he's treated by the media?  Who knows.  

We all know the guys is an introvert.  Awkward with the media.  Not much of a leader (more of a wingman).  Not fond of playing defense.  He's got his faults.  Spolied doesn't strike me as one of them.  

I also think that for those reasons Kessel will excel here.  Nowhere near the pressure, day in and day out.  No leadership responsibility.  He won't have to do ANYTHING but show up and play the game.  And he's proven he can score.  He's outscored Crosby and Malkin individually over the past five years.  Granted due to their injuries, but that consistency on either wing will be a blessing.  He's working out with Gary Roberts, and to me that tells me he wants it to be different.  It's amazing what a change of scenery can do for a player in this league, and it gives me hope he will succeed all the more.  

Any player traded from Toronto would go through a drastic change, most definitely for the better good...

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry @jammer2 but if somone as polarizing as Phil freaking Kessel said something that egregious while playing hockey in Toronto I'd find quotes, clips.....something....out there in cyber space.  Especially if as many media outlets as you are saying did a story on it.  Maybe the context (if said) was referencing how he feels he's treated by the media?  Who knows.  

We all know the guys is an introvert.  Awkward with the media.  Not much of a leader (more of a wingman).  Not fond of playing defense.  He's got his faults.  Spolied doesn't strike me as one of them.

I'm hoping for the best. I think he'll play a couple good years, maybe, then play where am I supposed to be?

For those interested, a nice in depth article about Kessel, which seems to shed some light on the enigma.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/is-phil-kessel-a-coach-killer-or-crosby-without-a-supporting-cast/

The article features a VERY damning statement from one of Phil's former Bruins teammate, who requested anonymity.

"A former teammate with the Boston Bruins who requested anonymity still speaks of Kessel with contempt, saying he was lazy, had no respect for the hierarchy of a dressing room and conducted himself with contempt and indignance. “Coaches have time for his skill, but no time for his personality,” the former teammate says. “He’s a smug, silver-spooned little bastard. And Boston got rid of him. What does that tell you?”

To be fair, there are a lot of positives mentioned in this article as well, but that quote from a former teammate, that's about as ugly as it gets.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thinking out loud here....but we all know that Sid makes those around him better. Would it not make sense to have Sid with Kunitz and Perron....which would make those two much more valuable than if they were separated from Sid.....AND pair Phil the thrill with Malkin and a LW (maybe the Russin kid).

"A former teammate with the Boston Bruins who requested anonymity still speaks of Kessel with contempt, saying he was lazy, had no respect for the hierarchy of a dressing room and conducted himself with contempt and indignance. “Coaches have time for his skill, but no time for his personality,” the former teammate says. “He’s a smug, silver-spooned little bastard. And Boston got rid of him. What does that tell you?”

I hate anonymous quotes from cowards.

At least Bryzgalov's former teammates went on the record about him.

What does "and Boston got rid of him" mean? That Boston usually keeps "smug, silver-spooned little bastards"? Like who? The anonymous source?

Also, too, "indignance" isn't really a word.

@radoran

I don't think either of Bryz or Kessel are "bad" teammates. Neither are great leaders, they're both very strange dudes, and I prefer my teammates to be guys I enjoy sitting around having a beer with after...I honestly think the team functions better under those conditions. Neither of those two seem to fall into the latter category. Both being overpaid likely didn't help either at times when they were underperforming.

At least Bryz is a goalie....he's supposed to be weird.

Both being overpaid likely didn't help either at times when they were underperforming.

Sure but it's not like being "overpaid" was "their fault."

The teams offered them those contracts. Nobody put a gun to their heads and made them do it.

All Kessel did in Tronno was put up four 30+ goal seasons, a fifth where he had 20 in 48 (projecting to 34) and then had 25 in a season where the entire franchise quit.

In the playoffs he has a measly 21 points in 22 career games (6 points in 7 for Tronno)

I don't like the guy even a little bit, but it's a bit much for anonymous guys to be firing at them.

Just thinking out loud here....but we all know that Sid makes those around him better. Would it not make sense to have Sid with Kunitz and Perron....which would make those two much more valuable than if they were separated from Sid.....AND pair Phil the thrill with Malkin and a LW (maybe the Russin kid).

Hornqvist has a better impact on Malkin, who can be lazy. Those two have good chemistry. Plus Sid is a great defensive center and will offset most of Kessel's resistance to back checking. Who knows? Maybe even rub off a little? Plus Kessel has scored phenomenally these years without a good center... I want to see what happens with a great center feeding the puck. And one who can skate with the puck as fast as Kessel can. I'm really excited about what this could be.

Sure but it's not like being "overpaid" was "their fault."

The teams offered them those contracts. Nobody put a gun to their heads and made them do it.

All Kessel did in Tronno was put up four 30+ goal seasons, a fifth where he had 20 in 48 (projecting to 34) and then had 25 in a season where the entire franchise quit.

In the playoffs he has a measly 21 points in 22 career games (6 points in 7 for Tronno)

I don't like the guy even a little bit, but it's a bit much for anonymous guys to be firing at them.

Overpaid isn't their fault. But when you're not producing, which both Bryz and Kessel have done for long stretches, it could leave some teammates disgruntled. 

Kessel could be a hell of a lot better player than he is if he'd keep himself in shape, and put some effort in. The guy is very frustrating to watch when you see the skillset he has. A lot like Kovalev, who wasn't near as pudgy.

Overpaid isn't their fault. But when you're not producing, which both Bryz and Kessel have done for long stretches, it could leave some teammates disgruntled.

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. - Matthew 7:5

When, exactly, has Kessel not produced while his disgruntled teammates have been burning it up?

And as for these "disgruntled" teammates - man up and do you own effing job.

Dredging up the past, Roman Cechmanek put up 1.85/.936 and his "disgruntled teammates" threw him and the franchise under the bus.

Hockey players shouldn't act like they're Town Clerks in Kentucky.

Radoran 7:5 says Man up and do your job or resign and get the hell out.

@radoran

Kessel has put up goals, no question. He could put up a lot more if he didn't do so much standing around and watching. The difference between his effort with and without the puck is night and day.

You're totally missing the point.

Friends, posters, Canadians, lend me your ears;

I come to bury Kessel, not to praise him;

The sloth that men do lives after them,

The goals are oft interred with their bones,

So let it be with Kessel… The noble Anonymous

Hath told you Kessel was a smug, silver-spooned little bastard:

It is so, and it is a grievous fault,

And grievously hath Kessel answered it …

Here, under leave of Anonymous and the rest,

(For Anonymous is an honourable man;

So are they all; all honourable men)

Come I to speak in Kessel’s trade thread…

He is a hockey player, fat and unmotivated is he:

But Anonymous says he was a smug, silver-spooned little bastard;

And Anonymous is an honourable man….

Kessel hath brought many goals home to Tronno,

Whose ransoms did his general coffers fill:

Did this in Kessel seem a smug, silver-spooned little bastard?

When that the disgruntled teammates have cried, Kessel hath dined:

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:

Yet Anonymous says he was a smug, silver-spooned little bastard;

And Anonymous is an honourable man.

You all did see that on Yonge Street

They thrice presented him a kingly contract offer,

Which he did sign: was this ambition?

Yet Anonmyous says he was a smug, silver-spooned little bastard;

And, sure, he is an honourable man.

I speak not to disprove what Anonymous spoke,

But here I am to speak what I do know.

He did score 30 once (twice, five times), not without cause:

What cause withholds teammates then to indignance for him?

O judgement! thou art fled to disgruntled teammates,

And fans have lost their reason…. Bear with me;

I don't give a rat's ass about Phil Kessel,

But I must pause till Anonymous come back to me.

:ph34r:

Kessel could be a hell of a lot better player than he is if he'd keep himself in shape, and put some effort in. The guy is very frustrating to watch when you see the skillset he has. A lot like Kovalev, who wasn't near as pudgy.

Word is he's dropped 13 pounds working out with Gary Roberts. Guess we'll see.

Word is he's dropped 13 pounds working out with Gary Roberts. Guess we'll see.

that weight loss could be from not knowing where the local hot dog or donut shop is located over being committed to getting into shape.

Phil once  shown where the local donut shop and hot dog stand is will easily be able to put any pounds lost back on  and get back into game shape. :D

that weight loss could be from not knowing where the local hot dog or donut shop is located over being committed to getting into shape.

Phil once shown where the local donut shop and hot dog stand is will easily be able to put any pounds lost back on and get back into game shape. :D

I'll take not missing a game in five years while scoring over 300 points as a "fat guy" if that's how he wants to be. ;)

@Polaris922 When is the last time a sentence started with...."one of the main cogs in our Stanley Cup championship was a guy who was fat and out of shape, could have been so much more but did not really apply himself"....??

People change with trades sometimes. He's down 13 pounds last report, and working out before training camp. I'm thinking he realizes he's got a shot to change how he's perceived, and why not?

If not, there's a first time for everything. Lol

Archived