DIRECT TV Question-- NHL Center Ice and Blackouts

DaGreatGazoo

***MODS, feel free to move this, if you think it belongs in another forum***

I know several of us have discussed this at length before, but I am finally pulling the plug on Comcast/Xfinity.  My number one concern is blackout restrictions for Flyers games.  I live outside of Hershey, PA.  I think @pilldoc has DirectTV, and  doesn't have blackout issues.  The only good thing with Comcast is that I get every single Flyers game, every year.  I don't miss one game.  

My understanding is that even if I get Gamecenter, the potential for blackouts still exists.  Anyone with that package can chime in as well. 

Any help/advice would be appreciated.  I called DirectTV, and the person I spoke to couldn't answer with 100% certainty. Maybe I simply had a bad rep??

Thanks, everyone. 

nhl-center-ice-toll-free.jpg

I have my own questions (i have center ice on directv)... Being in Idaho, I don't have to worry about blackout games. Oddly enough though, NBC will black out a nationally televised game involving Colorado even though it's about 700 miles away.

My question is, I have heard about team specific packages now. Will I be able to purchase a more affordable Flyers only package? I can't find any information.... Anyway, if anyone knows let me know.

@DaGreatGazoo

Gaz, the only time I have had a blackout issue is when the Flyers are being shown on the NHL Channel.  Out of an 80+ game season, that happens maybe 3 or 4 times a season.  Yes, I have the NHL Center Ice package and there is still the rare oppurtunity a blackout may occur.  I had to chuckle one time because the Pens were being shown on the NHL Channel and the game was blacked out because of Comcast (known as the Evil Empire by one of my friends). It is a small price to pay, however, I can see greater than 98% of ALL NHL games for the entire year. 

As a full disclosure, we also have Direct TV because we also have the NFL Game Ticket which is not offered by anyone else except Direct TV (correct me if I am mistaken).  Yeah our cable bill takes a hit between August and December, but then again, I thank my lucky stars I married a woman who loves NHL hockey and NFL football as much as I do.  Send me a PM if you need more info.

I have my own questions (i have center ice on directv)... Being in Idaho, I don't have to worry about blackout games. Oddly enough though, NBC will black out a nationally televised game involving Colorado even though it's about 700 miles away.

My question is, I have heard about team specific packages now. Will I be able to purchase a more affordable Flyers only package? I can't find any information.... Anyway, if anyone knows let me know.

Yeah  I have heard / read about that too. I don't know much more info about it, but I am curious.  I hate to miss other NHL games, but I know my wife wants us to save some $$$ if possible.

PS I did move it to general NHL Stuff for others to give their input and I modified the title to include NHL Center Ice since it is hockey specific.  If someone feels it should be moved somewhere else, then please do so.

I live in Rochester NY and have had CI via DISH for years. I get all games but rarely get the Flyers broadcast feed as an option so I am forced to listen to the other teams broadcasters. Most games offer both teams broadcasts as an option but not the Flyers for some reason.

I live in Rochester NY and have had CI via DISH for years. I get all games but rarely get the Flyers broadcast feed as an option so I am forced to listen to the other teams broadcasters. Most games offer both teams broadcasts as an option but not the Flyers for some reason.

That is interesting, because this year I had the Flyers broadcast option more times this than in any other previous year.  I would say about a good 60% of the time I had the choice of either the Flyers broadcast or the opposing team broadcast.

I had Center Ice while in Los Angeles ages ago...the one thing I couldn't stand was this...practically every Flyers game I watched, it was the other teams feed/announcers.  I don't know if it's still that bad, but that's one thing to be aware of.

This is one reason why Game Center Live is better than Center Ice. I always have a choice of feeds. All games are in HD too. When I had CI they weren't, don't know if they've improved that.

That is interesting, because this year I had the Flyers broadcast option more times this than in any other previous year. I would say about a good 60% of the time I had the choice of either the Flyers broadcast or the opposing team broadcast.

Weird, on the occasions the Flyers feed was an option it was only in Standard Def. Damn Upstate NY :)

I don't care if they have drunk chimps calling the game. :cool[1]: 

I just want to be able to physically SEE the video feeds.  LOL

Personally, I'm fine with the "other" teams audio feed.  

I just want to be able to physically SEE the video feeds. LOL

Even if it's that douche bag Jack Edwards? LOL

The NHL has been the target of a class action lawsuit.  

Because of the blackout nonsense.

Center Ice is being offered at a 20% discount for the next 5 years and all out of market game will be made available.

My understanding ( only perused the email explaining what's happening ) is there were many complaints about teams being blacked out regardless of the market.

I think as a result the Flyers home games will be available with at least the visiting team's feed .

I just want to be able to physically SEE the video feeds.  LOL

And in some cases, drunk chimps DO call a game....**cough...Root Sports Pittsburgh....COUGH***  :ph34r:

And in some cases, drunk chimps DO call a game....**cough...Root Sports Pittsburgh....COUGH***  :ph34r:

As a lawyer for the drunk chimps union, I'm sorry to inform you of the class action lawsuit that my clients will be filing against you for the totally unwarranted, and demeaning, attack on their character for comparing them to Paul Steigerwand and Bob Errey. 

As a lawyer for the drunk chimps union, I'm sorry to inform you of the class action lawsuit that my clients will be filing against you for the totally unwarranted, and demeaning, attack on their character for comparing them to Paul Steigerwand and Bob Errey.

LMAO!!!

The NHL has been the target of a class action lawsuit.  

Because of the blackout nonsense.

Center Ice is being offered at a 20% discount for the next 5 years and all out of market game will be made available.

My understanding ( only perused the email explaining what's happening ) is there were many complaints about teams being blacked out regardless of the market.

I think as a result the Flyers home games will be available with at least the visiting team's feed .

I got snail mail today about this.

Haven't read it from front to back, but just perusing it, it seems it is a letter stating that if you were a Center Ice customer from X-time to Y-time (which we are....been a subscriber via Comcast for several seasons now), we are entitled to that 20% discount.

Saved that letter and will go over it with a fine toothed comb soon.

Even though I like the Center Ice package, I DO find it is kinda pricey, especially given the fact that three quarters of their games are STILL in standard definition!

Seriously...who in the blue hell would still want to broadcast in 480i anymore when we have technology now that SURPASSES 1080p (4k tech)!

Anyways, good that the NHL and/or Center Ice is getting dinged for the blackout nonsense...now maybe us hardcore hockey fans can reap a bit of discount benefit from it and pay something a bit closer to what we should have all along.........damned broadcasting pirates.... :P

Archived