habs sign Semin

@ruxpin Literally, all the Habs have to improve on is goal scoring. They have the defense and goalie.....and they have great work ethic and some nice grit also. If they can acquire more goals through trades in the coming season, they will be dangerous.

I see no grit. And I see a lousy coach. I actually don't think they're that good. They're a mediocre team with a great regular season goalie who is only good in the playoffs and exposes the "Meh" team.

No risk here by the Habs.

Either the Habs reap the (cheap) rewards of a talented but lazy player out to prove he doesn't suck or they simply added another subpar floater to their stable who, if he doesn't produce, will take off his shirt and ride his horse back to Russia to hang out with the other loser fat lazy players on the Russian national/Olympic team.

Exactly. Like usual we are on the same sheet of music.

The Habs have no depth on the scoring lines, at 1.1 million for a year he is playing for his supper, do well he gets an extention, don't, he plays for Dynamo Minsk. And if you think Montreal is cold in January, try Moscow. The only thing that keeps the women in Moscow from freezing to death is the two inch hair on their legs.

I am not a Semin fan, not by any stretch but before he signed the top six wingers would have likely included Kassian. He is an upgrade at the least.

I see no grit.

They have a sneaky type of grit. A lot of it does not show up in the PIM totals, but Brendan Gallagher is one of grittiest guys in the entire league, despite his 31 PIM. Subban will get in your face, same with Kassian (a legit heavyweight IMHO) and guys like McCarron will be attempting to make the team (should be a lock) and last years rookie Jacob De La Rose has a lot of grit also.

They have a sneaky type of grit. A lot of it does not show up in the PIM totals, but Brendan Gallagher is one of grittiest guys in the entire league, despite his 31 PIM. Subban will get in your face, same with Kassian (a legit heavyweight IMHO) and guys like McCarron will be attempting to make the team (should be a lock) and last years rookie Jacob De La Rose has a lot of grit also.

LOL the habs have no grit period.!

The smurf  is a lightweight yapper

Subban ? LOL he may get in your face , only to take several shots to his face , dirty opportunist at best that couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Kassian , well he is willing, he is not a legit heavyweight, he may be one day, but as of now not even in the same league as the heavyweights.

Who was the heavyweight on the Blackhawks?

Who was the heavyweight on the Kings?

There are your last four Cup winners. One might need to go back to Marchand/Thornton on the Bruins for a legit "weight" guy on a Cup championship and I don't know that I would put either of them as a "legit heavyweight." Hell, Chara hasn't really thrown them a lot in the past few years - he had 88 PIM when the Bruins won the Cup.

"heavyweights" don't equal "grit"

The smurf is a lightweight yapper

That is 100% wrong. He has more grit than 99% of the league. You don't need to be big to be gritty. Honestly, have you ever seen him play, cause I have NO idea how you would come to that conclusion....he brings an in your face attitude every single time he laces up the skates. A pure warrior.

Right when I clicked this thread I knew there would be a great deal of comments bashing Semin. Come on guys, do you all suffer from short term memory? Lets not forget that Semin was injured during last season, and the season before he was still capable of putting up 20 goals and 40 points in 60 games. And where is all this "heartless" "GREEDY" image of semin coming from? I surely hope it's not because of his ethnicity. Semin in 2012 had top offers from the KHL yet chose to play for a club from his hometown for free. That's the exact opposite of being greedy, so can we stop with all of this false generic russian hockey player image we have come up for Semin?

I find it curious that people find a 1.1 million dollar one year deal a "no risk" or "low risk" deal.

I still think I hear him laughing..... :mellow:

What do you see as the "risk" in that contract?

The low price? The short term? The ability to dump him into the AHL for a $200K cap hit?

LOL the habs have no grit period.!

The smurf is a lightweight yapper

Subban ? LOL he may get in your face , only to take several shots to his face , dirty opportunist at best that couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Kassian , well he is willing, he is not a legit heavyweight, he may be one day, but as of now not even in the same league as the heavyweights.

I agree.

But I guess I'm still using a different definition for grit. I'm not talking about willingness to play dirty or to yap or to hit hard.

I'm basically flat out calling their skaters a bunch of losers who shrivel up when the heat gets turned up. By no grit, I mean no constitutional ability to dig down deeper and will it. The ability to win a hand at Texas Hold'em with largely a bluff.

I'm questioning their manhood.

Right when I clicked this thread I knew there would be a great deal of comments bashing Semin. Come on guys, do you all suffer from short term memory? Lets not forget that Semin was injured during last season, and the season before he was still capable of putting up 20 goals and 40 points in 60 games. And where is all this "heartless" "GREEDY" image of semin coming from? I surely hope it's not because of his ethnicity. Semin in 2012 had top offers from the KHL yet chose to play for a club from his hometown for free. That's the exact opposite of being greedy, so can we stop with all of this false generic russian hockey player image we have come up for Semin?

I like this deal, but he has this reputation because he has well-earned it. Injured or not, he has floated like a long form ice dancer since donning a Hurricane uniform. And, I'm sorry, but for the money he was stealing and for what he was doing before the money, 40 points in 60 games is an indictment, not an alibi.

He IS the Russian stereotype.

That is 100% wrong. He has more grit than 99% of the league. You don't need to be big to be gritty. Honestly, have you ever seen him play, cause I have NO idea how you would come to that conclusion....he brings an in your face attitude every single time he laces up the skates. A pure warrior.

Yes I have watched him often playing for the giants in the WHL, and have seen enough of him playing with the habs to stand 100% behind my statement.

I'll give him being a hard worker, and a dedicated athlete, but neither of those things equate to having grit.

@flyerfan2  Apparently, hockey futures sees it the same way as I do....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brendan_gallagher/

Talent Analysis

"Gallagher has an excellent work ethic, grit, really good hands and a very quick, accurate release on his shot. The small physical winger doesn't need a lot of time or space to strike offensively and will take advantage of the smallest of chances. Although he has improved on his skating speed and added more muscle mass, the undersized forward will still need to increase both in order to play his style of game in the dirty areas around the net at the professional level."

@flyerfan2  Apparently, hockey futures sees it the same way as I do....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brendan_gallagher/

Talent Analysis

"Gallagher has an excellent work ethic, grit, really good hands and a very quick, accurate release on his shot. The small physical winger doesn't need a lot of time or space to strike offensively and will take advantage of the smallest of chances. Although he has improved on his skating speed and added more muscle mass, the undersized forward will still need to increase both in order to play his style of game in the dirty areas around the net at the professional level."

And until he does what I have bolded there it's hard to put the word grit into the conversation when it comes to Gallagher.

Easily pushed out of the way and getting man handled ,as hard as he may try not to,  still doesn't equal grit.

You have to be able to offer resistance in the hard to play areas and right now the under sized Gallagher just isn't physically able to do that with the big boys of the league.

Easily pushed out of the way and getting man handled ,as hard as he may try not to,  still doesn't equal grit.
You have to be able to offer resistance in the hard to play areas and right now the under sized Gallagher just isn't physically able to do that with the big boys of the league.

Bobby Clarke had the same drawbacks.  Luckily for him, he struggled against defensemen who were much smaller than today's giants.  But, nobody accused him of lack of grit.  And, nobody should blame Gallagher for the lack of the same thing.

Bobby Clarke had the same drawbacks.  Luckily for him, he struggled against defensemen who were much smaller than today's giants.  But, nobody accused him of lack of grit.  And, nobody should blame Gallagher for the lack of the same thing.

Biggest difference's  between the two is skill, heart, determination, meanness , and the shear will to win at any cost.

Bob was a highly skilled player , while Gallagher is a run of the mill nhl'er ,who has yet to prove anything beyond being a hard worker.

These two don't belong in the same conversation.

Archived