POLL: GREATEST PLAYER IN SABRE HISTORY

yave1964

who is the greatest player in Sabre history?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest player in Sabre history?

• Ryan Miller?
    • Dominic Hasek
    • Gilbert Perreault
    • Dave Andreychuk
    • Rick Martin

I am going to do something a bit different with this now, a poll of the greatest player for each team listing the top five or six players in organization history since the ending of the original six era and the beginning of the expansion era. I am starting with the Buffalo Sabres and will do all thirty teams.mtvxM61c6bTrpY1P9D1J6WQ.jpg

Let me be clear, some teams I may have a hard time coming up with four players who are worthy of listing on the poll while others may have six or seven which is okay, I am not going to let the players decide for themselves based off their stats who makes the list and who does not. Anyway, here are the top fove from Buffalo stats strictly listed while the players were with the Sabres:

GILBERT PERREAULT: The very first player ever drafted by the Sabre organization Perreault is the teams all time leader in games with 1191, in seasons (17) goals (512) assists (814) points (1316) basically every offensive category in club history. The first superstar in team history. Won the Calder, was a second team All Star a few times and won a Lady Bing once.

RICK MARTIN: Part of the famed French Connection line Martin spent 10 seasons in Buffalo with 382 goals averaging just under 40 a year during that time. While Perreault is number one in most categories Martin is number two and was a beast on the power play. First team all star twice, second team twice as well.

DAVEmlcfSwc3P9sxMry4WxJnQqw.jpg ANDREYCHUK: Speaking of a beast on the power play, Andreychuk spent 12 years in Buffalo and is second all time in scoring in Sabre history with 804 points and is first all time in PPG.

DOMINICmWgkc8LSwyi27fGhep5PzZw.jpg HASEK: Wow what a hardware case. In nine years he was a first team al star six times, six Vezinas and two Harts. Went 234-170-70 with an all time Sabre best .926 save pct and 55 shutouts.

RYAN MILLER: 11 years as a workhorse in Buffalo he went 284-186-57 with a .916 save pct and 28 shutouts. First team all star once and won a Vezina that year as well.

Others who i considers were Lafontaine who I consider more of an Islander, Ramsey and Housley. Rene Robert IMHO gets props because of his connections to the great line that he played on but wasnt much of a player really, he rode the coattails of Martin and Perreault...... Gare, Foligno, and Schoenfeld honorable mention as well.

What? No love for Ville Leino? :ph34r:

Perrault by just a slight edge over Hasek.

No love for Lieno but I almost listed Taro Tsujimoto for the fans who would get that one ;).

I went with Hasek, the hardware was just two much to deny, two Harts for Gods sake from a goalie no less. Perreault put Buffalo on the Hockey map but Hasek in his prime simply dominated.

With all due respect to the other great players in Sabres history, it's Hasek, and easily in my mind. He single-handedly carried the team to the Finals in 1998, and was the best goalie in the league in my opinion for some time.

Perreault had an amazing career, but when I think of Hasek I think of dominating performances. And as pointed out by yave, was the best player at his position 6 freakin' times.

No votes yet for Ryan Miller? Buffalo Rick must not have seen this thread yet...

Perreault had an amazing career, but when I think of Hasek I think of dominating performances. And as pointed out by yave, was the best player at his position 6 freakin' times.

No votes yet for Ryan Miller? Buffalo Rick must not have seen this thread yet...

Miller may top the list for most overrated player in team history. lol. Once we decide the greatest player maybe there should be a vote for worst player in team history. Leino is a strong candidate in that category.

Perreault by a nice margin over Hasek. They were both superstars, but not only was Gilbert an amazing scorer, his hockey sense and skating were the elite of elite. This gives him a distinct edge.

Perreault by a nice margin over Hasek. They were both superstars, but not only was Gilbert an amazing scorer, his hockey sense and skating were the elite of elite. This gives him a distinct edge.

Not only did Hasek win 6 Vezina's, 2 Hart's and 2 pearsons. All of which he won over the likes of two top ten goaltenders and a prime Jagr. But he also has a relatively strong argument for being the best goaltender of all time, Perreault would have a hard time cracking most hockey fans top 15 best forwards list.

I believe I have the most knowledge on this subject as I have been a Sabres fan since day one.

No just making you a Sabre fan does not make you right. Perreault was great but Hasek was one of the all time greats. Big difference.

Perreault was great but Hasek was one of the all time greats. Big difference.

If I have to choose who the better player was in an all-time list, Hasek is ahead of Perreault.

If I have to choose the best Buffalo Sabre of the two, I give the edge to Perreault.

That's going with the 17 seasons as a Sabre for Perreault to Hasek's nine.

It's undoubtedly close and if Hasek had won a Cup with the Sabres, he would be the unquestioned choice. But his two Cups came with some other team...

Archived