Luke Schenn: Stay or go?

AJgoal

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd field offers for Schenn. then likely hang on to him until the deadline. There could easily be a team looking for a big crease clearer for the playoffs...might get a first or a 2nd +. I'd rather keep him than sell for less than that.

And before anyone says you won't get a first for Schenn, that's what you said about Coburn. 

I'd field offers for Schenn. then likely hang on to him until the deadline. There could easily be a team looking for a big crease clearer for the playoffs...might get a first or a 2nd +. I'd rather keep him than sell for less than that.

Where in any given lineup do you see Schenn? I see him as a #4/5 defenseman at most - kind of a 2nd/3rd pair tweener. Even with our awful blueline, his average TOI puts him 6th on the Flyers, ahead of only Grossmann (by 30 seconds) and Colaiacovo.

So, given he makes $3.6M and will almost certainly not take LESS money next year, and that he is 6th amongst defensemen in TOI on a mediocre team, is it reasonable to expect a 2nd + ?

What team, other than the Flyers, wants to pay around $4M for a 3rd pairing defenseman?

Luke Schenn can easily be considered a first round bust. He might not be a finished product yet, but a lot of experts think he is based on number of years in the league and limited mobility. For a #5 overall, he is a huge disappointment.

EDIT - I am not against keeping Schenn, but do we really want to spend that kind of money on a 3rd pairing guy for many more years? MacDonald is getting $5M for being a #4/5 guy too. That's a lot of cap space spent on bottom feeders. Why not move Schenn for whatever you can get (which also brings cap space and a roster spot) and have Gudas fill his role at a more appropriate price point?

@brelic

Cause I think you get more for him at the deadline. I didn't say keep him...I said hang onto him til the deadline. Someone will overpay....they always do.

Yes, that's true! It was such a refreshing change to be on the other side of the deal for once - where we got more than we expected for our spare parts.

And before anyone says you won't get a first for Schenn, that's what you said about Coburn. 

Yeah LA lost Robin Regehr to retirement so that could a good option just not sure they would have the cap space maybe. 

We'll have to agree to disagree then, you have your opinion and I have the right opinion.! ;)  :blink[1]:

It's hard to believe we are talking about the same guy. Luke is one of the furtherst things from dependable as you can get. I cringe every time he handles the puck in our zone. He is WAY more prone to treating the puck like a hot potato than making the smart safe play....and that is the truth.

I thought Luke had a decent season last year especially on the PK.  When he was injured and out of the lineup we saw the goals go in for the opponents power plays.  

I think Hextall's plan is to keep L. Schenn for this season.  However I think Braydon's play this season has a lot to do with decisions moving forward too, as we know there won't be a new extension given during next season for Braydon.  If they both play reasonably well then I think we will see both players stay.  If not Luke walks and I would then expect Braydon to be traded before next season's draft.

It's hard to believe we are talking about the same guy. Luke is one of the furtherst things from dependable as you can get. I cringe every time he handles the puck in our zone. He is WAY more prone to treating the puck like a hot potato than making the smart safe play....and that is the truth.

Can't we find this guy again????

I agree, i say the same thing watching the games when Luke's got the puck..."uh-oh lookout." My main complaint centers around his puck handling but i see it getting better now than it was 2 years ago, 3 years ago etc. Do you see that too?

To my eyes Schenn is slowly (s-l-o-w-l-y) realizing that he's not a puck-moving defenseman, which has naturally translated into better decision-making with the puck.

I know you have other concerns about keeping him, resigning him. I share them but I believe he's got some worthwhile aspects to his game that, were the Flyers to let him walk then Hextall would have to buy them somewhere else. We gotta have some hard hitting d-men, guys who will protect Mason and sweep the porch in the process.

We gotta have some hard hitting d-men, guys who will protect Mason and sweep the porch in the process.

Totally agree cans. I do believe that Luke and Gudas will be the go to guys regarding that specific skill set.....BUT, moving forward....Morin will also be in the picture, probably for the 16-17 season or the tail end of next season. That would make Morin, Radko and L.Schenn, all supplying the same kind of skill set. I believe retaining 3 of these types would tip the scales to far into the physicality part of our defense. If you want a modern day, perfect type of system, you need more pure skaters than porch clearers.

Let's face it, Morin will be here to stay, either this year or next, so the man who will be deemed expendable will be Radko or Luke....no two ways about it. When you take a closer look at these two guys fighting for one spot.....who do you think would win a fight between these two?  I think Gudas would pummel Luke into next week. He is cheaper, tougher, better first pass (barely) and he skates better, althought not by a large margain. For myself, it's not contest who I would want on my team.....Radko over Luke all day long!!

The real difference maker is the respective cap hits. Luke will make 3.6 mill before going UFA. He will undoubtedly demand a raise when his UFA status kicks in. Basically, Radko provides the same kind of game, except he makes just under one mill....and he is only an RFA after this season, which means a small, but respectable bump in salary, probably around the 1.6-2.2 range. The other plus, Gudas can act as the 7th d-man for those tough divisional games against the Caps, Rangers etc....so the Flyers could have their top 3 pairings entact, but still have the toughness of Gudas on the bench. It's a lot more realisitic to have a tough SOB making just over a mill rather than Luke's 3.6 plus what ever raise he gets that he will not deserve.

It's close, but I believe Radko is the better hockey player.....so no contest on who stays and who goes. When you factor in that Radko is significantly tougher, it turns into a no brainier real quick.

good answer Jam. Considering who we have in the pipeline you're right Schenn has no claim on a Flyers' roster spot past this season. His cap hit and his overall (lack of) talent work against re-signing him. Maybe the only caveat is whether Morin really does make the impact we all hope he will. You guys who've seen him play all say great things about him and the hockey websites agree he projects to be a top 4 NHL defenseman.

Thinking through the possible scenarios coming up this season it's hard to see how LSchenn gets re-signed by the Flyers.

Archived