Sutter traded to Canucks

pilldoc

I'm happy with these moves.  Taken as a group, the Pens give up one and get three nhl level players with a little change in their cap space, and improving the bottom six in a very good way.  Sure Fehr will miss some time at the beginning of the season, but in the end, they deepens the team for the spring. 

If Clendening can help move either Scuds or Lovejoy out of the lineup, more power to this trade.  Going to be interesting on defense in camp.  A lot of defensemen fighting for maybe one open position.

I'm really not that impressed with Bonino he isn't that good for a 2nd line center as the Kesler replacement, I think his best days were with Anaheim.  Defensively he isn't as good as Sutter either on the 3rd line and if you figure Bo Horvat is the Canucks 2nd line center the trade doesn't seem so lopsided until you wonder why the Canucks needed to give up a 2nd round draft pick?

I'll agree that Sutter is better defensively, but I think Bonino is a good bit better offensively. Considering the Canucks' weakness on defense, maybe that part of the trade makes sense, but trading Clendening wipes a lot of that out to me. Factor in that Sutter makes more than those two guys combined, and the draft pick part of the equation, and I really don't like this deal from Vancouver's perspective. I'd really be happy if I were a Pens fan.

Bonino brings more to the table offensively than Sutter did. And, the deal freed up the space to sign Fehr, who brings the same, if not more to the table defensively than Sutter. All in all, the Pens get two guys for $0.6mil more than one guy, and they will be better at both ends of the ice.

Plus, they pick up a good defensive prospect. Clendening is a solid AHLer who will probably start the season there because he has a two-way contract. He should be playing in the NHL, but he's been stuck on incredibly deep defensive teams. (I watched tons of him in person when I worked for the Rockford Icehogs). He can move the puck well and he contributes offensively. If the Pens can move someone like Scuderi, he will have a spot on the roster.

AND, the Pens moved up a round in the draft.

Win, win, win.

@teenagemutantninjahertl   Clendening really came out of his shell last year, proving he was indeed an NHL d-man.

Just out of curiosity, what position did you have when you worked for Rockford, if that is not to personal of a question?

I was working with the off-ice officials crew. I spent several games as official scorer.

Clendo did prove he can play in the NHL. He finally proved he can be a shut down defenseman instead of a guy that only plays at the blueline (more like a Shea Weber than an Erik Karlsson). The problem is, the Pens have 8 defenseman on their roster right now, and only Clendening has a two-way contract.

I'm happy today. I am a Sutter fan in that I think he played a good two way game, was a full time short handed threat, and still out scored Jordan Staal at half the price. I suppose I didn't expect too much from him so I was pleased with his play here.

Having said that, Bonino is a solid two way guy, and Fehr brings a lot of heart and two way play himself. Clendening and the upgrade on draft picks are just bonuses.

I agree with all of that. But when fans of other teams say your GM did a great job, you're supposed to get indignant and argumentative. Have you learned nothing in your time here?

@ruxpin

Sorry bud I'll work on it! And I don't even think Rutherford is any good BUT he's growing on me.

@JagerMeister

A LOR of Pens fans were unhappy with him. A co-worker of mine just ranted a good bit about how much he sucks. Lol. I think I'm a little more reasonable in my expectations of a third line center who was brought here to be a third line center. I didn't care for Staal at all, and to me Sutter was a good upgrade at half the price.

The problem is, the Pens have 8 defenseman on their roster right now, and only Clendening has a two-way contract.

It is rare for a team to come out of the sometimes grueling pre-season without any injuries, these things have a way of taking care of themselves. I'm betting Clend is in the starting night line up.

@ruxpin

Sorry bud I'll work on it! And I don't even think Rutherford is any good BUT he's growing on me.

@JagerMeister

A LOR of Pens fans were unhappy with him. A co-worker of mine just ranted a good bit about how much he sucks. Lol. I think I'm a little more reasonable in my expectations of a third line center who was brought here to be a third line center. I didn't care for Staal at all, and to me Sutter wa

s a good upgrade at half the price.

some people get upset at that idea! (uh him)

So Sutter signs an extension with the Canucks.    Five years at $4.375M/year, with a no movement clause for the first three years of the contract.

That's for a third line center.    I didn't hate Brandon Sutter during his time here, but he really didn't stand out for his money also.   For$3.3M a year, I was expecting a bit more.   For $4.3M a year, I think the Canucks are overestimating his up side. If that's the money he was going to be asking, its just another benefit that the Pens traded him now.

Five years at $4.375M/year, with a no movement clause for the first three years of the contract.

For a guy that's scored 20 twice and topped out at 40 points six years ago and 12 points in 33 playoff games playing for Pittsburgh.

Let's just plan the lockout now.

For a guy that's scored 20 twice and topped out at 40 points six years ago and 12 points in 33 playoff games playing for Pittsburgh.

Let's just plan the lockout now.

One of the interesting facts that has come out, its the highest salary for a player never attaining more than 40 points, ever. The fact that he has 12 points in 34 playoff games for the Pens makes you question why the ammount, let alone the NTC. What do they think, if he doesn't play well there for the next 4 years, they'll be able to find someone else to pick up his contract? Just don't get that added feature of the contract, as well as the upgrade on the draft pick for the Pens during the trade. My thought on this, thank god that Benning is not our GM.

Archived