Voracek Signed

Just saying other metrix may justify the amount.

Sure, but, again, just because some damn fool might do something stupid doesn't mean that you doing it is a good move.

That said, I'm not saying signing Voracek isn't a "good move". Again, questioning whether it will bring the desired results. Because that pair is now "the Flyers" for the next 6-8 years.

Only meant that you'd mentioned it several times (because it's ultimately valid).

There are countless examples of terrible-to-mediocre teams having players that put up boatloads of points and are "entertaining" (I'm looking at you, Mats Sundin...) but never win a blessed thing. Hell, one could point to Lindros and LeClair as prime examples (if one wanted to) - and JLC remains to this day my all-time favorite hockey player.

I like hockey. I like the game. I'm a Flyers fan.

And it's been 40 years since we saw a Cup in Philadelphia.

I don't want a team that's "good enough to compete for the Stanley Cup" - Buffalo "competed" for the Stanley Cup last year. They lost, but they still "competed" for it.

I want a team that will win the damn thing. And I completely understand those that say they believe that the VeeGees™ can do it.

I'm waiting and seeing.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JHC really, 8 years? I thought we were done with the ~decade-long contracts. Meanwhile Giroux has led the team for multiple seasons and now after one good year his winger is making the same money (25K less). Then again an angry Giroux is a good thing for the Flyers..."watch this shift"...maybe Hextall figured... lol...

He'll only be 33 or so when it expires. There's a good chance he'll still be a contributing player at that point.  Homer would have waited 'til he was 33 to give him the 8 year 8 million contract.

I think it's easy to forget how young Jake actually is.  This is definitely a step in the right direction.

The term scares me.

Bsed on our recent track record, I can see that being a thing, but Pronger was 35 with his big contract, Briere was almost 30, Bryz was 30. Vinny's deal was shorter (though it sure feels longer), but he was 32.  Jake's only 25.  This is like giving Briere a 3 year deal or Pronger a -2 year deal.  Jake's a young guy and now he's signed through his prime, but not through an age that should (emphasize SHOULD) make him a huge liability. 

Just a matter of whether last year was a 25 year old getting his game in shape or if it was a fluke.  Honestly, the way Jake plays the game and the aggression and smarts with which he plays it gives me confidence.  Not that I'm not nervous.  It's a lot of cap space for a long time and he'll really have to show up for at least 5 or 6 years to keep us from turning on him... but still I have hope.

He'll only be 33 or so when it expires.

Jake's 25 now, will be 26 when the season starts (birthday August 15) and will be 27 when the 8 year deal kicks in.

He'll be 35 when it expires.

As I've said previously, I'm kind of surprised he signed for that long. I think that's where the $21M in signing bonus comes in, with $5M coming in Y7 of the deal.

but still I have hope.

I'm hopeful, too! No, really - I am!

Good points!  I hadn't taken that into account.

Still, it's not quite as impressive, but I'm still happier with a 35 year old's $66 million contract ending than beginning or having 4 more years to go.  It's an improvement.

Jake's 25 now, will be 26 when the season starts (birthday August 15) and will be 27 when the 8 year deal kicks in.

• 4 months later...

That's a frightening stat....Here's another one, his shooting % is under 2. Something like 1.9 or thereabouts. Unreal. He's got to turn the corner eventually right? Right???

Dear God that is bad. But hey there is a way to spin this more in a positive light....let's pretend we don't know about his extension and only know he is making 4.25mill for THIS year........................see slightly better!!!  :thumbsu:

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2016 at 8:43 AM, elmatus said:

Sounds like a great cause, and whatever comms person designed and wrote that thing needs to be quartered.

yeah desktop publishing means having to view lots and lots of bad design.

Archived