Alexander Ovechkin vs Jonathan Toews

JagerMeister

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been the better player?

• Captain Serious
    • Great 8

This was a tough one for me. I really dislike Ovenchicken, but head to head he's ahead of the overrated Toews. Why? Talent. I appreciate Toews' leadership qualities, but I still think he's overrated.

The Hawks' three Cups are a statement of TEAM. Not Toews. You can have the greatest leader in history but without the right pieces not win a Cup. I like Toews but his stat lines aren't anywhere near Ovechkin's. Head to head on the ice, one on one, pure talent vs talent, who plays the game better?

Ovenchicken.

Ovechkin plays the game better? LOL...come on. He scores better. He hits harder.  Toews plays the game better than him at basically everything else. Not to mention he doesn't go MIA for stretches because his head is in Hollywood or wherever. 

Ovechkin plays the game better? LOL...come on. He scores better. He hits harder. Toews plays the game better than him at basically everything else. Not to mention he doesn't go MIA for stretches because his head is in Hollywood or wherever.

Okay so other than scoring and checking, Toews ... But what does that leave? Back checking and....? Toews has a better defensive game. Ovenchicken has a light years better offensive game. I mean I despise Ov as much as anyone, but let these two go one on one and who wins? They're strong in different ways, but leadership isn't a skill in how they play so much as how they lead. Toews is a less selfish guy, more team oriented, and sacrifices. Ov though is the more talented hockey player. Question his heart, sure, but straight up skill vs skill I had to say as much as I hate him, he's the better player.

Kind of agree with @BluPuk, it's not really a good comparison. If the question is who do you build a team around, then I'd go with Toews, because a franchise center is more important than a franchise winger. If the question is who is better at the role he is expected to play on his team, then it's hard to argue against Ovechkin. It would make more sense to compare Kane with Ovechkin, in which case I take Ovechkin easily. Or Toews vs Backstrom, which I think is very close. Personally I think Backstrom is one of the most under rated players in the game, I rate him pretty even with Giroux. And I think those two and Toews are all right in the same elite group behind Crosby.

I actually think Backstrom may be one of the most overrated, actually. He doesn't get lost in Ovechkin's shadow. He rides his coattails. He's a decent player. That's it. Nothing more.

Okay so other than scoring and checking, Toews ... But what does that leave? Back checking and....? Toews has a better defensive game. Ovenchicken has a light years better offensive game. I mean I despise Ov as much as anyone, but let these two go one on one and who wins? They're strong in different ways, but leadership isn't a skill in how they play so much as how they lead. Toews is a less selfish guy, more team oriented, and sacrifices. Ov though is the more talented hockey player. Question his heart, sure, but straight up skill vs skill I had to say as much as I hate him, he's the better player.

The bold. When is this one on one? The playoffs or a meaningless game in February? Medal round or group play?

If it's the former in either choice it's Toews every day and twice on Sunday. The Russian coach thought so much of Ovechkin that he was buried on the bench in the kazillion round shootout against the US.

Just saying, if I want a guy who can win the Richard, then Ovechkin. If I want a parade, it's Toews in a walk.

The object of the game is to win. Toews does; Ovechkin doesn't.

Not checking, body checking, many of which are either dirty or questionable.

Toews is better positionally. He's better at faceoffs.  He's a better backchecker, forechecker. penalty killer, leader. He doesn't take games, let alone months off. He was TJ Oshie for Canada before Oshie was. Only in a Gold Medal game. 

Alexander Daigle was a more talented hockey player. So was Kovalev. Neither was better. Neither is OV. 

When it comes to leading his team to victory, Toews has done it at every level he's played at. OV has won World Championships...because he's always OUT of the playoffs early enough to play in it.

@ruxpin

I took it to mean "more skilled" at the game. Difference I suppose.

@flyercanuck

In all things defensive, yes. Not at forechecking, or position in the offensive zone. Oven chicken dominates the offensive zone in ways Toews can't stay up with. I've rarely seen a guy with Ov's knack for finding open space to shoot the puck. You have to admit it's a rare skill. And when he wants the puck Toews or no Toews he'll have it.

I hate Ov. I agree he's lazy and a cancer in the locker room. He's no leader by our estimation. But I took "better player" to mean the more skilled of the two. Not better leader or teammate. We're operating under different expectations here.

Now... Can you imagine Ovenchicken with Toews character? THAT would be scary.

Both Players are great, but and I am not going to be a homer here on my answer. I think Jonathan Toews does more for his team. He has led his team to the Cup and that is something Oveckin has yet to do. Both players when they are on the ice make their team better, but sometimes I thnik Ovie should use his players more often then try to do too much on his own. They both do fantastic things on the ice though and overall as a player I think Ovie is the better player 1 on 1, but as a team player I would take Toews.

I'll sum my thought on this as simply and briefly as I can. If you want to obtain great players who light up the score sheet by scoring 50-60 or more goals a year and someone to help your fantasy team, the Great #8, Ovechkin is your man. He can also provide a crushing hit now and then. However, If you want a player who takes and wins huge defensive draws, kills penalties, shadows the other team's best player, AND scores huge goals in the regular season ESPECIALLY in the playoffs, Captain Serious is the man. My vote is for Toews, the best captain in the league who does the most at the important times for the Blackhawks.

Archived