Bumberger

Samifan

No, I meant Umberger made the Flyers a worse team, so the pick was higher, resulting in Provorov and Sanheim.

A very good point. Harts would have given enough pts to take us out of Prov range. Addition by brutal addition....ha ha.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking another look at the "couldn't sign Couturier and Voracek without trading Hartnell" line of thinking, it just doesn't hold up.

Both Couturier and Voracek's new deals will be on the cap next season and Umburglar's $4.6M cap hit.

The extra $150K from Hartnell's deal simply doesn't affect anything enough to make a difference or to work as a "reason" that they had to trade for cap space three years later.

They would essentially have the same $10M projected cap space.

Of course,

Hextall didn't know he'd be able to dump Coburn & Grossman's $ when he made the deal.

I'll grant it almost seems like a panic move, and the real problem with it in my mind is the freedom he gave chief to eff it up.

Rule one for Chief in camp and through the first half of the season should have literally been, "winning is priority #2. Priority #1 is making Umby, Vinny and Mac look as good as possible by deadline time so I can unload them as fast as possible.

To me, that's where hey screwed up. And in two years if he can sign a free agent to play LW or a goalie to replace an injured mason, it'll have all made perfect sense and he'll look like a genius, but in the mean time there are flaws, but there are benefits.

I really may still be the only one who foolishly believes that Umburger can give this team at least *some* semblance to a decent production.

It wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not counting on it. He's been bad for about as long as he's been hurt which essentially means anything is possible. Who knows?!

And one playoff round in three years.

#benefits

So you think having harts around for 5 more years gets us not only into the playoffs but out of the first round?

Can't say I'm buying that.

It wasn't a good move, but there was more wrong than missing Scotty last year and we'll be happy for it eventually.

Worst case scenario, Scotty helps this team squeak I to the playoffs last year (7.5 wins or 15 points is a lot to ask of a single player's contribution, but Umby was just that bad that I can buy it). If they make the playoffs can Hextall really justify dumping chief?

No, I'm not saying that's why Hextall made the trade, I'm just saying I don't think it's hindered this team's overall progress and by the end of umberger' contract, we'll be happy for it.

It's really stupid and childish, but I can't help myself from giggling everytime I read this thread title. Over the past year, tons of poster have come up with derogatory nicknames for Ummby, but this one is so simple, it really is funny.

It's really stupid and childish, but I can't help myself from giggling everytime I read this thread title. Over the past year, tons of poster have come up with derogatory nicknames for Ummby, but this one is so simple, it really is funny.

You're welcome! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Umberger said he feels "like whole different person" after hip & abdominal surgeries, esp with skating. Admits he should've spoken up sooner

Gives me a bit of hope for the upcoming season for Ummby. Like many, I had no idea he was hurt last year....I was thinking his skating had regressed so badly it was incredible....hip and abdominal surgeries ....that makes a lot of sense, accounts for the brutal skating at least.

@jammer2

Here's hoping he plays well enough to fetch us a 3rd round pick at the deadline.

Says he feels like a new man. Admitted he should have spoken up sooner.

BS. Everyone and his uncle knew he was not cutting it (except Berube). Someone needed to step in and do something. If a player isn't going to chime in, a trainer, a coach, a GM, a teammate... SOMEONE had to say, look. Enough is enough. It's hurting to team putting you on the ice every night and it's not helping you get better.

Everything surrounding Umberger is all the makes me nervous about Hextall as GM. Why is this'll one player the source of such controversy and obviously dumb decision making?

It's like Unberger is a black hole and all intelligent hockey thinking can't escape his gravitational pull.

Says he feels like a new man. Admitted he should have spoken up sooner.

"Should have spoken up sooner"??

Hextall was lauding the fact that Umburglar could barely walk after games and that he was a warrior for trying to play through it.

Hextall knew he was injured but was told that it "couldn't get worse" by playing.

http://www.delcotimes.com/sports/20150314/rob-parent-if-umberger-was-hurt-why-was-he-playing

"He was in some pain, he was in some discomfort. He had some physical deficiencies that were hurting his game. It’s kind of hard to be mad at a guy when you know what he was going through.”

They put a guy out there that they knew was injured, that they could see the injury was affecting his play and that they sent him out there anyway.

Madness. Absolute madness.

But hey, after next season there's cap relief so they won the trade.

They can put that up on the "won trades" banner.

If only they had a top line left winger...

"Should have spoken up sooner"??
Hextall was lauding the fact that Umburglar could barely walk after games and that he was a warrior for trying to play through it.
Hextall knew he was injured but was told that it "couldn't get worse" by playing.

Well thank god.  I thought someone was going to give me one of those "let it go already" responses.  I'm glad someone's as or more pissed than I am.

If I'm actually going to "war" I want to stand next to the "warrior" who can actually still walk after the last battle.

They put a guy out there that they knew was injured, that they could see the injury was affecting his play and that they sent him out there anyway.
Madness. Absolute madness.
But hey, after next season there's cap relief so they won the trade.
They can put that up on the "won trades" banner.
If only they had a top line left winger...

It is absolute madness and like I said, it just doesn't fit in with everything else hextall has done.  Umberger is the one outlier.

The way the Umberger deal STARTS to make sense is if Hextall knows he's injured and needs surgery and makes the trade and LTIR's him right away to make some additional (if temporary) cap room for at least last season. 

But no... he let the injured lump play all year.  and let's put "play" in quotes, really.

And ON TOP OF THAT he watched as Chief madeUmberger play with Coots and Read (the latter was also hurt most of the year and is now hoping to bounce back) and then did nothing but give Coots hell for not scoring more. 

You start the kid inside his own blue line every time he's on the ice essentially and you give him two injured vets who can't skate to play between and you give him crap for not scoring more?  What the Hell?

Bringing Mason back from his injury too soon was hextall's other major head scratcher.  As a former goalie himself, he should have known better.  He may have brought him back with the "understanding" that chief was only going to play the kid in an act of desperation, but he didn't realize how desperate chief already was.

That cost them the first decent goal tending coach this team had (the guy who Mason credits with his reemergence) in 15 years.

So I take it back, Hextall screws up consistentyl when it comes Umberger and twice when it came to mason.

What @radoran said.

Some of the things this organization does over and over again are just outright unreal ... almost to the point where one can wright a book about how *not* to do things.  And you would *hope* they learned their lesson with Lindros.  This is negligence and complete disregard for people's well-being.  I am sorry, but there is no other way to call this.

What @radoran said.

Some of the things this organization does over and over again are just outright unreal ... almost to the point where one can wright a book about how *not* to do things. And you would *hope* they learned their lesson with Lindros. This is negligence and complete disregard for people's well-being. I am sorry, but there is no other way to call this.

Guys are lauded for endangering themselves and their futures and criticized for taking precautions that in the end help the team more.

It goes along with what A friend of mine used to call the rocky complex which is essentially the idea of preferring mediocre players who over perform on guts and perceverence instead of skill and natural ability.

We don't want someone good. We want someone who will leave it all out on the ice and play way better than they reasonably should have.

We want the Miracle on ice. We want Hoosiers.

But instead we get the team that loses 99 times out of a hundred not he one that wins that one time.

really.... kind of sad.   I hope I am dead wrong and RJ has something left in the tank.   Anything at this point would be a bonus at this point.

From the perspective of helping this team this season, I hope you're right.

From the perspective of them not then buying him out at the end of the season, I hope you're wrong

:hocky:

From the perspective of helping this team this season, I hope you're right.

From the perspective of them not then buying him out at the end of the season, I hope you're wrong

:hocky:

could not agree more... My hope is he plays well and they are able to trade him at the deadline.   Could care less what we get for him but that is the hope... LOL.

Could have been Hextall saying "this isn't your Homer's team anymore" but I agree with you, there was likely Something More there.

The whole thing makes more sense if they would have been able to LTIR Umberger immediately and leave him there for the duration of his contract the way Pronger is / was/ whatever.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived