Jarrett Stoll

070313_stoll.jpg

The Rangers signed center Jarrett Stoll today to a one year contract for $800,000. He previously made $3.333 mil.

Presumably, Stoll will pencil in as the third or fourth line center. It will be interesting to see where he plays, given the Rangers already have Stepan (1 or 2) Brassard (1 or 2) and Dominic Moore (3 or 4). Stoll has always "struggled" with foot speed, so he might find himself on the fourth line.

Stoll is a hard worker, and he is out to prove himself after a battle with the law this summer. At 33, he is still a reliable faceoff man that generate some offensively. He a very good defensive forward.

It will also be interesting to see what number Stoll and Dom Moore wear next year, as they both wore 28 last year.

Typical low risk high reward type signing.

I agree he likely figures to be the 4C...no way you put him ahead of Stepan or Brassard, and while he could POSSIBLY be put ahead of Dominic Moore at the 3C position, he would have to be outstanding in training camp and exhibition to do so.

Moore is by no means an offensive force, but the guy plays about as good a defensive game as any center in the league, is pretty good in the faceoff circle, and can find his wingers for some unexpected chip in scoring from the 3rd line.

Unless his brain is completely gone, Stoll should make an excellent big bodied forward who will get the occasional goal.

Funny thing is, this guy was once a somewhat consistent 15-20 goal scorer (though very early on in his NHL career).

Maybe the Rangers capture magic in a bottle here and Stoll uses hockey to alleviate himself from his off ice troubles and can become that again for them.

Seriously is he facing any kind of discipline from the NHL or is everything hunky dory with the Vegas incident? Plenty more of them to come if Vegas lands an NHL franchise.......

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously is he facing any kind of discipline from the NHL or is everything hunky dory with the Vegas incident? Plenty more of them to come if Vegas lands an NHL franchise.......

The whole non-hockey discipline thing is messed up in the NHL. In every other sport, they have procedures and policies in place. The NHL doesn't know what to do with the likes of Ryan Malone and Slava Voynov and Mike Richards and Jarret Stoll (and the rest of the Kings) and other players who have legal trouble. I'm not sure what the NHL is going to do, but they need to start doing something.

The NFL has been suspending players between 1 and 4 games (6.25% to 25% of the season) for drug related crimes. Players can even have their charges dropped and the NFL still suspends them. I'd like to see similar enforcement (the lower end of the scale for the first offense) in the NHL for people who are supposed to be role models in their communities. I'm still waiting for that to happen. Same thing with domestic violence. 

@teenagemutantninjahertl   I suspect a ruling will come down on domestic violence, if for no other reason than political correctness will force them into action. The drug stuff, that will be pushed to the back burner. All things that will be worked out in the next CBA....or left out of the CBA if both parties have reason to not address the said issue.

Archived