Richards Charged...

JackStraw

Here's the full text of the clause from the NHL SPC:

The Club and the Player further agree that in case of dispute between them, except as to

the compensation to be paid to the Player on a new SPC, the dispute shall be referred within one

year from the date it arose to the Commissioner of the League, as an arbitrator and his decision

shall be accepted as final by both parties, unless, and to extent that, other arbitration procedures

are provided in any collective bargaining agreement between the member Clubs of the League

and the NHLPA to cover such dispute.

Assumedly, there is no special procedure in place to cover this, so it would revert to Bettman.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the full text of the clause from the NHL SPC:

The Club and the Player further agree that in case of dispute between them, except as to

the compensation to be paid to the Player on a new SPC, the dispute shall be referred within one

year from the date it arose to the Commissioner of the League, as an arbitrator and his decision

shall be accepted as final by both parties, unless, and to extent that, other arbitration procedures

are provided in any collective bargaining agreement between the member Clubs of the League

and the NHLPA to cover such dispute.

Assumedly, there is no special procedure in place to cover this, so it would revert to Bettman.

I seriously don't get this. Are they (whoever "they" are) saying that teams basically have a "Get out of jail free" card? How can this be?

I seriously don't get this. Are they (whoever "they" are) saying that teams basically have a "Get out of jail free" card? How can this be?

I can't imagine that the Kings can win this in the courts. If they can, Hextall should take the same position viz. VLC

Well, the team would have to have some sort of "proof" that the player "fail(ed), refuse(d), or neglect(ed) to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of

Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC."

No court, Podes. Binding arbitration. This is messy. Unless Richards did something completely egregious, the league should NOT allow this.

No court, Podes. Binding arbitration. This is messy. Unless Richards did something completely egregious, the league should NOT allow this.

I see that, my mistake. I can't see the Kings succeeding, unless Mike signed off an an agreement about his conditioning. It's clear the Kings wanted him to be doing more off ice to be in top shape and he wasn't doing it, but unless he signed an agreement to that effect, I don't see how they have a chance.

I don't know if this will work but this tweet from a guy from The Fourth Period says that the Kings got information on Friday that led to this.

Kings took information they received on Richards on Friday and moved forward on it. They are very confident in their findings.

49 retweets14 favorites
 Retweet49
 Favorite14
More

I guess we'll see. There really better be more to it that the conditioning stuff. I don't want to see that precedent set. If there's something more behind this, then by all means terminate his contract.

If this guy is correct then it can't just be a conditioning thing, they wouldn't have just found that out on Friday. There has to be more but what? He hasn't been accused of a crime as far as we know (unlike someone else on the Kings).

I guess we'll see. There really better be more to it that the conditioning stuff. I don't want to see that precedent set. If there's something more behind this, then by all means terminate his contract.

I think it comes down to what Richards told Lombardi, what evidence there is for that and whether there are more shoes to drop.

Kings sound very confident, but you can be sure the NHLPA won't want this precedent. It could essentially be the end of guaranteed contracts..

I posted some of this in the shoutbox, but figured I'd weigh in here.  There's no way the Kings did this without, what they thought was a rock solid case.  I think Richards agreed to something after the trade from the Flyers.  Counseling, treatment, strict conditioning terms?  Not sure, but something.  Whatever that something is, in the Kings mind, was violated/broken.   They would have consulted with the league, and probably Buttman as well.  They knew the impact making this decision would have, and they don't do it, if in their evaluation, it would have any chance of getting overturned.  

Let's not forget that Richards was also sent to the AHL last season as well, so there's a history of problems between the 2 parties.  It's not like this JUST happened with Friday's news.  This was a long time coming.

I'm glad to hear there would be an independent arbitrator and wouldn't be Buttman.  

I agree, that this is going to get ugly.  I also think that when it's said/done, Richards will look terrible when things leak(whatever they may be), and his career could just about be over.  

I think it comes down to what Richards told Lombardi, what evidence there is for that and whether there are more shoes to drop.

Kings sound very confident, but you can be sure the NHLPA won't want this precedent. It could essentially be the end of guaranteed contracts..

let's revisit dry island for some possible perspective.  richards was for a moment an 80 point player and one of the more dynamic two way centers in the league.  then his play started to get vague, his contribution sporadic.  he was accused by flyers' staff of mid-season (mid-playoffs?  don't remember if that was also on the table) late night shenanigans, asked publicly to calm it down and focus on the team/game, and supposedly refused to do so.  his numbers and effectiveness with the flyers slid a little, and he was traded to LA.  his slide continued, now precipitously.  LA shuffles him off to the A, where he does ok-ish.  management approaches him and says, "hey, get yourself under control, and you can come out of time-out.".  and they try.  but there's nothing there.  16 points in 2/3rds of a season.  

what if mike richards' decline has nothing to do with age or a body worn out from in-game abuse, and everything to do with, well, an obsession other than hockey?  what if the whole "dry island" thing wasn't stevens and the flyers being puritanical weirdos, but the first red flag for a guy who can't get himself to care more about his job than getting lit nightly?

in short, what if the talk lombardi had with richards was "hey, no more drinking the night before games, and show up to practice sober and ready to work", and they just found proof he was getting tanked on the regular?  we might not see richards or the NHLPA fight this at all, lest the details come out.  i have a tough time seeing the kings throwing this down if they thought it would be a long and drawn out fight.  if the conversation was "no more drinking" and they found a pile of bar receipts, that would fit the bill the kings are advertising.

i think most of us know your body will let you get away with things at 24 that it just won't at all at 30.  and we know he's had problems along those lines before.

@JackStraw

hey, jack.  i dunno.  i was in the middle of typing a response about corsi to someone in like january, and suddenly realized i didn't care.  kind of stopped being a hockey fan for a while.  got married, watched game of thrones on game nights, forgot to set FHL line ups.  it was weirdly nice, to be honest.  draft day comes, though, and then this richards stuff, and I'm back.  :D

and then this richards stuff, and I'm back.

Him and Frosted Tips are the gift that keeps on giving.

Good to see you back. I know exactly what you are talking about; life interferes and all that. We missed you.

@JackStraw

hey, jack.  i dunno.  i was in the middle of typing a response about corsi to someone in like january, and suddenly realized i didn't care.  kind of stopped being a hockey fan for a while.  got married, watched game of thrones on game nights, forgot to set FHL line ups.  it was weirdly nice, to be honest.  draft day comes, though, and then this richards stuff, and I'm back.   :D

congratulations on getting hitched !

@JackStraw

hey, jack.  i dunno.  i was in the middle of typing a response about corsi to someone in like january, and suddenly realized i didn't care.  kind of stopped being a hockey fan for a while.  got married, watched game of thrones on game nights, forgot to set FHL line ups.  it was weirdly nice, to be honest.  draft day comes, though, and then this richards stuff, and I'm back.   :D

Actually, I understand completely. Sometimes it's nice to just stop caring. I do it from time to time. Congratulations on getting hitched.

Archived