Josh Ho-Sang late for first day of TC, demoted back to OHL

jammer2

Islander 1st round pick from 2014 Josh Ho-Sang arrived late for the first day of training camp, ended up paying dearly for it. As punishment for being tardy, he was demoted to the Niagara Ice Dogs of the OHL. Quite the fall from grace, the kid was scheduled to play with Tavares and Okposo....could have been a HUGE break for him, instead it becomes a very embarrassing chapter in the early portion of his career.

I'm quite familiar with Josh, he was a Spit for 3 years before being dealt for all kinds of draft picks. Super talented kid, tremendous moves, terrific offensive skill set...BUT very undisciplined, does not backcheck well, hogs the puck in the offensive zone etc, etc. I'm almost sure the Islanders sat him down and spelled out that he had to be focused....eyes on the prize and leave his bad habits back in the OHL.....SO...this transgression of being late is probably the straw that broke the Camels back.

Josh needs to work hard, start playing a full 200 foot game and become a better teammate. He has a lot of growing up to do....I expect him to be in the top 5 for OHL scoring this year.  As it stands, he is only 170 lbs and 6 foot, so still kinda frail and skinny, chances are he would have been sent back anyways.

Team Canada gave him his first boot in the arse. Then the Spits traded him, and Coach Boughner didn't exactly have anything good to say about him...basically that he had to go for the sake of the team. Now the Isles are giving him another boot in the rear. The kid is a prima-donna.

Team Canada gave him his first boot in the arse. Then the Spits traded him, and Coach Boughner didn't exactly have anything good to say about him...basically that he had to go for the sake of the team. Now the Isles are giving him another boot in the rear. The kid is a prima-donna.

Agree with that assessment 100%. The last highly ranked prospect to have these type of entitlement issues, it was Akim Aliu, and we all know how that big steaming pile of dog poop ended up. A shame cause the kid has elite vision, hands, hockey sense...wasting a truly God given talent.

Let this be a lesson to ALL young prospects.....if happened to Ho-Sang...it could happend to you.  Great wake up call for everyone.  Effort means just as much as talent no one is excluded.

I really like this move by the Islanders. The management group is stating firmly right out the gate, selfish behavior leads to immediate discipline of some sort. Can't let the inmates run the asylum. Something tells me Ho-Sang will not respond wisely to this. His ego is so big and this very public admonishment will be hard for him to deal with.

Apparently Ho-Sang is embarrassed by being sent back to the OHL

comments by the Ice Dogs GM and head coach- Marty Williamson:

"He is devastated. He is very upset and humbled by the whole thing. Embarrassed by it," 

"He is a good kid. I feel for Josh. He has to learn there are consequences for these types of actions. I think in the big picture, he will be a better man for it."

"The bottom line is he didn't show up on time and Josh has a track record," the IceDogs GM and head coach said.

"He has to be accountable for those kind of things. Everything else was exemplary. He did everything else well. He made a mistake and he has put himself in a position where he can't make mistakes."

Williamson shed light on the aforementioned track record.

"When you make mistakes a long time ago, they kind of linger with you. I think Josh has made a lot of strides in the right direction. He has honestly worked on it. He is not perfect. He has some habits he needs to work on. He stays up too late playing video games and stuff like that. He sleeps through things and gets himself exhausted."

Niagara's head coach said this isn't a matter of hockey ability.

"He is not being sent home because he can't skate or he can't play the game. He is great. He is being sent home for something he can control 100 per cent."

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/834118

I like Ho-Sang, and I agree with what the Islanders did. It's clear that everyone has Josh's best interest at heart. Snow wants him to grow up, the GM in Niagara believes this is a great wake up call and whether or not Ho-Sang gets an invite for the WJC, this gives him an opportunity to work on what he needs to do. Part of the problems with guys like Ho-Sang is that they've been catered to and coddled all their life. They make a mistake, it's water under the bridge. It's good to Snow stand up and say that this won't be tolerated and it's time to become a professional now. That means going to be early at night, getting up early and being at practice on time or even earlier. This is about Josh developing good habits. I'm willing to bet that if he pulls a Steve Mason, cuts the inner circle of "yes" people and starts focusing on his career, all will be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Let this be a lesson to ALL young prospects.....if happened to Ho-Sang...it could happend to you.  Great wake up call for everyone.  Effort means just as much as talent no one is excluded.

Really gives you a sense of appreciation when you see real elite players who work hard...or good players who become great players BECAUSE they work hard. I think of a guy like Bergeron. May not have the elite skill set of some others, but man does he compete and work hard. Makes him elite.

I hear Dylan Larkin, who is all of 19 and is the biggest headline in the media for this year's Red Wings preseason, and the kid just talks about working to be the best player in the league, not just on the Red Wings. You can just see that in his mind, he's gonna make it happen himself. When he says it, he's not just quoting quotes or giving prefabricated answers. That, along with his skill set? That's a great combination. He's gonna be a player to be reckoned with in this league.

I not a Crosby fan, but one has to admit that the guy has a fantastic skill set, and he knows how to work hard almost all the time. Even I respect that about him.

Toews. Exhibit A. I wonder how much of his success due to just his drive.

Datsyuk. When he is healthy and playing, at practice he is usually first man on the ice and last man off. He is always working on that next move. Always refining the ones he already owns. The man oozes work and discipline, and not just skill set. Babcock has a ton of respect for him because of it. So do many others.

There are a number of others that could be mentioned here. this list is certainly not complete.

With hockey legends, this never stops until they hang up the skates. Ever.

• 1 year later...
38 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

sounds like a another Evander Kane in the making...

Evander Kane is a mess. I hope Ho-sang doesn't become the same type of guy.

But the Islanders could use his skill with Okposo leaving this year. Maybe he will develop into a reliable player.

7 hours ago, no1sjsharksfan said:

Evander Kane is a mess. I hope Ho-sang doesn't become the same type of guy.

But the Islanders could use his skill with Okposo leaving this year. Maybe he will develop into a reliable player.

Ho-sang IS a similiar type...you mean you hope he changes? He better or his career will be short.

Of course, the 100,000 dollar question (well, really millions, but who is counting?) is how will Ho-Sang respond? I'm sure GM Garth Snow will want to get a read on the youngster, watching both his one the ice effort and his off the ice demeanor. The kid is a bit of a diva, very high opinion of himself and his skill sets....so sulking would be real bad for him....I can see it happening.

• 1 year later...

Archived