Konecny, Provorov and Sanheim are retunred to junior clubs

Mad Dog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And how is playing amongst kids their own age going to help them do anything but dominate and act like idiots (I was 19 once, I remember) as often as possible?

??? They would be playing against kids there age if they dominate then they dominate in fact it's what you'd want and expect...it's how you know they are getting ready for the next level to move up.

Imagine these kids are just 18 (Sanheim 19) so it's like in football where do the kids go and play???

They go to college and play football against kids there age....they don't go straight to the NFL because it's a huge jump and it would just ruin a lot of the players....you slowly work them up. Yu dominate in college for 3-4 years and then get drafted and go onto play in the NFL.....hopefully but as we see not a whole lot of those make it.

The only difference is in hockey you can get drafted waaaay earlier and a team owns your rights a couple years before they decide if they want to sign you.

People need to realize that this is not a development camp, that's not its purpose.

Oh I think people have realized that for far too long. 

This team hasn't developed much of anything for a long damn time.  Last I can recall we developed Giroux and Gagne that actually turned into anything.

@OccamsRazor

People need to realize that this is not a development camp, that's not its purpose. 

Exactly you have to thinking of it as farming so to speak (more than likely how it got the term "farm system"....you plant the seed (drafting them) and then you water and nurture (let them play juniors and even AHL if need be) that seed till it grows into a flower so one day if you take care of it one days you will reap the fruits of your labor (a Cup)

The coaching staff apparently has seen enough and wants to start whittling the team down so he knows who he has and is going to have to teach his system to as well as Gordon wants his boys back down soon so he can start getting ready for his AHL season too.

In Hakstol we trust.

Oh I think people have realized that for far too long. 

It's because they didn't start off with the best of seeds and some they didn't give enough sunlight and some they overwatered...so hopefully Hexy is a better farm hand... :D

Exactly you have to thinking of it as farming so to speak (more than likely how it got the term "farm system"....you plant the seed (drafting them) and then you water and nurture (let them play juniors and even AHL if need be) that seed till it grows into a flower so one day if you take care of it one days you will reap the fruits of your labor (a Cup)

I can think of a few examples that beg to differ.  There's more than one way to go about this.  Having a player dominate in juniors is no more a recipe for success than challenging him in the pros.  It's just what's expected unless you're the likes of Gagne, Crosby, Ekblad, etc. 

Let's call a spade a spade.  Hextall might not "WANT" to rush these guys, but the reality is that he has almost absolutely no option.  Unless he wants to give away other viable players, he literally can't rush them. 

Right now Hextall's done his part.  He's given Hakstol a few nice new pieces to play with, trimmed a few others (some useful, others good riddance). 

To me it appears that the keys are in Hakstol's hands right now.  Hexy's done about all he can do until the prospect of moving people starts to threaten reality.

Sink or Swim.  Let's hope Hakstol's brain translates to the pros better than "the Smartest Guy in the Room" across the street at the Linc. 

Having a player dominate in juniors is no more a recipe for success than challenging him in the pros.

Trust me if this worked as well as you think every team would be doing it with every player but very rarely does that happen. It just chews most of these kids up and spits them out.

But remember Hexy said he wouldn't let that be an issue he would make room and that is really easy to do IF they were ready which they are not so it's really a moot point.

Yes once again Hextall really doesn't believe in that if they are going back he'd rather go ahead and send them back not my words his.

So, you've been reading my posts, then?

:hocky:

Just a guess, but if the players are indeed going to be sent back down, the earlier the better for their respective junior teams. The CHL started playing games that count a few days ago, so sending their stars back down for games that count in the standings goes a long way in building a solid foundation/relationship with their junior teams. After all, the Flyers are going to want certain things done with their drafted players....eg giving them top pp or pk units etc .....and when you send them back down to help the jr teams, they are more likely to co-operate with the Flyers needs.....this can extend to who they billet with etc, etc...

Yep, good point.  And like others suggested, Hackstol needs to have enough time to start developing chemistry amongst the players who *will* make the team.

So, you've been reading my posts, then?

:hocky:

Huh?? Now i'm lost.

Anyways i have to take a powernap i've been up since 3 yesterday afternoon and i worked 12 last night...i'll reread that last post when i awake....maybe i'll get it...

I feel for Konecny, but honestly, where was he going to play? He wasn't jumping past Voracek or Simmonds and Hakstol is trying to get Brayden Schenn back on track. That leaves him on the fourth line and the Flyers have a high number of 4th line forwards. Let Konecny go back to junior with a chip on his shoulder that he didn't make the club. He'll be a better and more motivated player because of that. 

you have to thinking of it as farming so to speak (more than likely how it got the term "farm system"....you plant the seed (drafting them) and then you water and nurture (let them play juniors and even AHL if need be) that seed till it grows into a flower so one day if you take care of it one days you will reap smoke the fruits of your labor

Fixed it.

I agree 100% with sending all 3 back to Juniors for this season, but curious as to why this early in camp.  I would have thought they would want to give the kids as much time as possible to get a little pro experience and have time to evaluate them.  Whatever the case, I am a full supporter of Hextall's approach to building this team into a long term contender. He has my trust in player development decisions at this point.

That's a reasonable question to ponder.  Why not wait a bit longer and give the kids more exposure to the training camp atmosphere and an opportunity to mesh with NHL players...  I am sure there is a reason.

Hextall was making room for Rosehill.   :ph34r: 

I heard the Junior regular season begins this coming weekend.  I imagine that was a factor.

Hakim justdoing his job getting this team ready to play, he is just narrowing down the amount of guys he has to coach up...more sent packing....

NHL two-way contracted players reassigned to AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms

Brandon Alderson

Mark Alt

Cole Bardreau

Tyrell Goulbourne

Maxim Lamarche

Taylor Leier

Danick Martel

Derek Mathers

Samuel Morin

Jesper Pettersson

Anthony Stolarz

Petr Straka

AHL contracted players assigned to AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms

Connor Knapp

Nick Luukko

Martin Ouellette

Pavel Padakin

Michael Parks

Logan Pyett

Jay Rosehill

It's interesting that Hextall thought both Morin and Sanheim had better camps last year. 

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/ron-hextall-explains-decisions-send-ivan-provorov-travis-sanheim-sam-morin-back

---

The stakes were raised — by the club and the prospects themselves — in this camp and they didn’t impress enough to warrant a longer look, especially in Morin's and Sanheim’s case.

“Did Sam have the best camp? No, I think he was a little better last year," Hextall said. “But he’s a pro this year and he can go an hour-and-a-half back up the road."

And Sanheim?

“He was a little better last year," Hextall said. “It’s a really good learning lesson for a kid where you come in with expectations versus coming in playing with house money. Travis is a good, young defenseman and we love him as a prospect."

All that said, defensemen Robert Hagg and Shayne Gostisbehere still remain and could be in the lineup Friday against the Islanders.

“[Hagg] made huge progress when he came to development camp," Hextall said. “His body fat is down. He’s done a great job, worked hard. He is a smart player. ... He’s made a good impression and we’ll see where it goes."

Gostisbehere continues to show offensive flair and is fully recovered from last season’s knee surgery. Asked if Ghost remained a longshot to make the final roster, Hextall balked.

“I don’t know," he said. “It’s something we've got to sort through. Anyone who is here now has somewhat of a shot. If someone gets hurt, who knows what happens. He made an impression in two games. We’ll have to see where it goes."

“He was a little better last year," Hextall said. “It’s a really good learning lesson for a kid where you come in with expectations versus coming in playing with house money. Travis is a good, young defenseman and we love him as a prospect."

This is a key statement that sticks out and lines up with all the reports i had seen. In Sam's case it was like he was pressing to hard try to much and putting a lot of added pressure on himself.

In Travis's case it seemed like he was playing more reserved apprehensive to get up in the play and show the offensive side he had before. Like he was too afraid to make a mistake. It will all work out its why they have the development league to do just that.

To bad football doesn't have this you have college and that is about it...ok there is the practice squad but no league to actually play and improve in either you make it or you don't.

So this kid are young and it seems like this staff is taking the right measure to grow them. So refreshing.

Archived