Konecny, Provorov and Sanheim are retunred to junior clubs

Mad Dog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame but I get the reasoning. I think if umberger or vinny could be moved I think konecny would have stayed for at least first nine games. Need to shed these contracts next summer. I just don't see how we move mcdud, vinny, and umberger though. I would have moved streit in the off season for a good prospect and or pick just to give more cap space and roster spot to young player. I just don't think we are a contender this year so why hold onto assets that we can actually get something for right now because streit won't be around when we are ready to compete in two years. I'm thinking we are looking at two buy outs next year with vinny and umberger. And that's dead cap space sitting around. Mcdud... Well we are screwed on that contract. And Shultz should have never been resigned and prolly traded last deadline.

Well we are screwed on that contract. And Shultz should have never been resigned and prolly traded last deadline.

Not that Schultz was not respectable, but there was some foresight needed here. For years, it's been maddening how each and every roster spot is always spoke for before training camp even starts. There is no harm in leaving a few spots open for training camp surprises.

I agree 100% with sending all 3 back to Juniors for this season, but curious as to why this early in camp.  I would have thought they would want to give the kids as much time as possible to get a little pro experience and have time to evaluate them.  Whatever the case, I am a full supporter of Hextall's approach to building this team into a long term contender. He has my trust in player development decisions at this point.

I agree 100% with sending all 3 back to Juniors for this season, but curious as to why this early in camp.  

That's a reasonable question to ponder.  Why not wait a bit longer and give the kids more exposure to the training camp atmosphere and an opportunity to mesh with NHL players...  I am sure there is a reason.

That's a reasonable question to ponder.  Why not wait a bit longer and give the kids more exposure to the training camp atmosphere and an opportunity to mesh with NHL players...  I am sure there is a reason.

It might just come down to focus. Being decisive early with decisions like this means the focus is clearly on getting to a roster of 21 players who will come out flying and be prepared. 

It might just come down to focus. Being decisive early with decisions like this means the focus is clearly on getting to a roster of 21 players who will come out flying and be prepared. 

Yeah, I think Hackstol is going to want to have a good start and with a roster that is pretty well defined he will take the time to make sure the players that are going to spend the season here are prepped to play the style and level of "compete" that he wants.

This is his first bite at the apple, but I think he's got a solid idea of what he wants and what he expects.

This team cannot afford to come stumbling out of the gate. Again.

Maybe to get them back to their junior teams who are already playing their regular season and to give them time to adjust and accept going back, i imagine that takes time to get over the disappointment because i know all 3 really wanted to make the team even if it was a very slim chance anyways.

This team cannot afford to come stumbling out of the gate. Again

This is one of the biggest things right here as when seen last year that even after winning a huge string games it was such a tight race once you fell behind it was barely noticeable in the standing.

If anyone remembers i want to say it was the Jackets (don't quote me on this) at one time last year they got on a hot steak won something 10 or 12 games and barely moved up like just 4 points in the standings.

These points and games in the beginning of the season are just as important as the ones at the end of the season when you're fighting for your playoff lives...everyone is crucial and if they approach it like that they'll be ok.

http://flyers.nhl.co...s.htm?id=780180
Nothing shocking or unexpected. No need to rush any of them at all.

Screw that.  It's a cap issue.  T.K. deserves his stint in the pros.  This kid could actually make Umberger and or VLC or even the likes of B. Schenn functional.  There's no way he could last the full season, but I effing HATE that we can't even afford to give these guys their 9 damn games.  It's pathetic.  Just pathetic. 

Sans and Provo don't bother me so much because there are so many touch calls to be made on Defense... but Koecny has shown us something and both he and the team deserve to have that fleshed out a bit more. 

I know I know... "It's just the preseason, he wouldn't be able to play like that in the regular season" 

EXACTLY!  which is why he's allowed to dip his toes into the regular season, then go back to Juniors. 

Why not wait a bit longer and give the kids more exposure to the training camp atmosphere and an opportunity to mesh with NHL players... I am sure there is a reason.

Just a guess, but if the players are indeed going to be sent back down, the earlier the better for their respective junior teams. The CHL started playing games that count a few days ago, so sending their stars back down for games that count in the standings goes a long way in building a solid foundation/relationship with their junior teams. After all, the Flyers are going to want certain things done with their drafted players....eg giving them top pp or pk units etc .....and when you send them back down to help the jr teams, they are more likely to co-operate with the Flyers needs.....this can extend to who they billet with etc, etc...

Maybe to get them back to their junior teams who are already playing their regular season and to give them time to adjust and accept going back, i imagine that takes time to get over the disappointment because i know all 3 really wanted to make the team even if it was a very slim chance anyways.

The long and short is that Hextall can't afford their salaries on the roster for any regular season time because Homer is an idiot and hextall has 27 thousand defensemen going into the season.   He knows now that he can't skate these guys even if he wanted to.  So he has to send them back.

He knows it now, why screw around?  Personally I'd keep them as long as I could and let them continue to get a feel for how the game is played at this level.  it's asinine not to.  But I think maybe there's something to the "let them get used to it" theory.  even though I don't agree with it.  Why do I care if they can get acclimated to their junior teams again?  Their goals have nothing to do with their junior teams any more.  Their entire seasons with their junior teams should be spent remembering what it was like on their pro team and trying to make what they learn in juniors relevant to what they know they'll need to do back with the big club. 

The long and short is that Hextall can't afford their salaries on the roster for any regular season time because Homer is an idiot and hextall has 27 thousand defensemen going into the season.

Yeah he can afford them the most they will earn is around 925K  per year on a ELC so you can waive two players to make room and to get that much money back.

Just for arguments sake you could waive Gudas (991K) and Vandevelde (712K) and combined with the salary they have left right now before sending guys like Porter and what not down you'd have the space and money to do it.

So it's not a money decision its a what's best for the players development issue...Hexy is doing the right thing let them continue to grow and development among kids close to their age...no need to rush them. 

They were discussing during last night's broadcast that some of their Juniors teams' seasons were already starting so maybe that's why they were sent back earlier, so they wouldn't miss any time with their junior teams.  Not sure how that helps the Flyers but they did mention that.

Personally I'd keep them as long as I could and let them continue to get a feel for how the game is played at this level.  it's asinine not to

It doesn't make sense to do this and screw with the kids heads and confidence on top of burning a year of their entry level contract that can slide till they are ready.

Sanheim will be a Phantoms next year. The other two have two more years of junior they can utilize...so do it and not rush them.

Yeah he can afford them the most they will earn is around 925K  per year on a ELC so you can waive two players to make room and to get that much money back.

Just for arguments sake you could waive Gudas (991K) and Vandevelde (712K) and combined with the salary they have left right now before sending guys like Porter and what not down you'd have the space and money to do it.

So it's not a money decision its a whats best for the players development issue...Hexy is doing the right thing let them continue to grow and development among kids close to there age...no need to rush them. 

It's at least partly a money issue. There are going to be guys who get banged up but not "IRed" and you do need space to deal with that in season.

They could likely "fit" an ELC or two for a stretch of nine games (which would be about $100K per guy).

But as I detailed in the Other Thread, even with Manning and Porter back in the A, they still only have about $1.2M under the cap. That's pretty darn close once you start adding in the ups and downs of the season.

So in this case it's probably both a money issue and a roster space issue.

They were discussing during last night's broadcast that some of their Juniors teams' seasons were already starting so maybe that's why they were sent back earlier, so they wouldn't miss any time with their junior teams.  Not sure how that helps the Flyers but they did mention that.

Longer term, it helps the Flyers by having these players playing significant minutes in a situation that "means something" instead of preseason NHL games against AHL players and maybe a cup of coffee to start the season.

It doesn't make sense to do this and screw with the kids heads and confidence on top of burning a year of their entry level contract that can slide till they are ready.

Sanheim will be a Phantoms next year. The other two have two more years of junior they can utilize...so do it and not rush them.

The "nine games" thing is what they can play before burning a year on the contract.

So in this case it's probably both a money issue and a roster space issue.

But remember Hexy said he wouldn't let that be an issue he would make room and that is really easy to do IF they were ready which they are not so it's really a moot point.

Who's rushing them?   let them finish out camp at least.  How's that going to do anything other than help prepare them for the size, speed and intensity of the pro game?   And how is playing amongst kids their own age going to help them do anything but dominate and act like idiots (I was 19 once, I remember) as often as possible? 

I will never buy this idea that a guy finishing camp or playing 9 games in the pros will hurt his development.  NEVER.

The "nine games" thing is what they can play before burning a year on the contract.

Yes once again Hextall really doesn't believe in that if they are going back he'd rather go ahead and send them back not my words his. But yeah i aware of the 9 game rule. It's how Sam Bennett burned a year of his deal playing in the playoffs last year.

let them finish out camp at least

The coaching staff apparently has seen enough and wants to start whittling the team down so he knows who he has and is going to have to teach his system to as well as Gordon wants his boys back down soon so he can start getting ready for his AHL season too.

Archived