New Flyers same as the old Flyers?

brelic

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you guys actually thought this team would be different than last year?

No chance

However, Hextall has made the right moves. It's just going to take a few years 

"Trust the process" - er, Ron Hextall

No chance

I for one expected they would be different because of the new coach.  From what I heard of Hacks and his past history I expected  (and still expect) faster starts, more player accountability, and the Flyers to be a tough team to play against even though the talent may not be there for them to be an elite team.  After the first few games I was impressed as it appeared that it was coming true (maybe because we were going against 2nd team scrubs).  Then they play these last 2 games against the Rags and Devils and it was as if nothing has changed.

I wasn't expecting a cup year or anything like that but I do have some expectations on the team due to the new blood behind the bench who is not part of the insular Flyers culture.  While I know that Hacks is not a miracle worker and that he cannot make chicked salad out of chicken crap, I do want to see hustle, accountability, and grit out of this team this year.  If they do not show that I will be very disappointed for this season. 

I for one expected they would be different because of the new coach.

And they still can not a lot can be gleaned from a bunch of preseason mix squad games....some care and are trying some are not and many are indifferent because they know it doesn't count. 

So all we can do is remain cautiously optimistic............time will tell...getting off to a good start would be huge...health changes everything...i just hope they build towards a playoff berth and i pray along the way they can jettison some dead weight...it's about it.

GO FLYERS!!!!

And with my last comment i'm not making excuses sure i'd love nothing more than the Flyers to look great and hitting on all cylinders in these playoff games in a perfect world....but the reality is even if they did you still have to understand it's preseason....teams don't scout a lot and game plan for these games...a long with some of the players not giving full effort or even knowing still what they must do yet.

Need an example???

Look no further than my Philadelphia Eagles looked damn good in the preseason lead the preseason in points scored per game.

Then the real season started where games counted and teams game plan and players turn up the intensity...and they look like they have never played football before in their lives the first 2 games...so it's preseason i hope when it counts they play picks up...or it could be another long depressing season.

a long with some of the players not giving full effort or even knowing still what they must do yet.

This is the real curse of the Guaranteed Contract.

I don't see the NHLPA letting that go, but I do see the owners making another push at it.

This is the real curse of the Guaranteed Contract.

I don't see the NHLPA letting that go, but I do see the owners making another push at it.

Yes i think it should be set up more like NFL contracts....were if they under perform they can just cut them....yes they still get their signing bonus...but there should always be an out for both sides. Just like real life...i under perform and my employer can put me in the streets....i'm not sure why athletes should be any different.

Just like real life...i under perform and my employer can put me in the streets....i'm not sure why athletes should be any different.

Well, it is "like real life" in that in the terms of the contract negotiated, the terms of the contract are guaranteed. There are other places where this is true - not just in sport.

The NHL is also not a "right to work" environment (and that's an incredibly stupid phrase anyway) - it is a union shop.

I think some leeway could be introduced with regard to injury and signing bonuses, as you note.

The NHL is also not a "right to work" environment (and that's an incredibly stupid phrase anyway) - it is a union shop.

Well the NFL is union as well but they don't have guaranteed contracts so it is up to whatever the players and owners come up with.

Yet if they want it it could be set up with a similar structure as NFL teams use...so until it voted that way teams will continue to be stuck with bad contracts.

But there is a way around that.........................................STOP HANDING THEM OUT!!!!

Well the NFL is union as well but they don't have guaranteed contracts so it is up to whatever the players and owners come up with.

Yet if they want it it could be set up with a similar structure as NFL teams use...so until it voted that way teams will continue to be stuck with bad contracts.

But there is a way around that.........................................STOP HANDING THEM OUT!!!!

Yes it *could* be set up that way, but why on Earth would the players ever give that up? They never will unless they are completely backed into a corner. 

No chance

A new coach with a new system? Yeah. I did. I didn't think they'd finish much better, but I thought they'd at least try a more coherent and aware game.

You don't play Chief's system because you have the same players. That's asinine.

They will look different by the deadline, I have to have faith. Otherwise what was it all for?

It's part of the Standard Player Contract.

The owners tested the waters during the lockouts on the whole guaranteed contract issue and the players threatened to go nuclear on them.

Nothing will happen until at least the next lockout.

I think Gudas will be alright. He's not expected to be amazing. He's an improvement over Grossmann for sure, which is just about what's expected of him.

On a related note, I also think Gagner will turn out to be a relative steal for the price. 

I don't know about anyone else but just the thought of the 1st game versus Tampa...

.shivers.gif

...it could get ugly

HAHA

There are few things in this world more unsettling

than going into the back to grab condiments,

and ending up staring at a huge, steaming pile of cock.

Well as a long time fan will still hope and pray we win the cup this year! In saying this before deadline or at the deadline who goes? What big name that goes? We will stay on the path of long coming and sprinkles of vets! The kids are at least 2 yrs away so prayers are one of the only answers!

Its not like we have a new roster so what did you expect? I think Hakstol and Hextall aldready have like atleast 5 guys they dont want on this team but cant do anything about right now. It will be a huge cleaning following years, hopefully we doesnt get to playoffs and we can trade some of our old junk to desperate injured playoffs teams. 

When you cant play you dump and chase. Its nothing wrong about it, thats what you do to hold the numbers down against you. It will probebly be alot of dump and chase this year. 

Archived