Who should be Oilers captain?

JR Ewing

The debate is, of course, raging... Andrew Ference will be a part-time player for the Oilers this year, should he even finish the season with the team. He has a NMC, and I could only imagine him waiving it to return to Boston (he has a Bruins tattoo on his ass, after all). Given the poor relations between Peter Chiarelli and the team destroying robot formerly known as Cam Sweeney, a trade doesn't seem likely.

Taylor Hall - he's a vocal, emotional player who is a dynamite LW. He's also given to taking selfish penalties. That, in and of itself, isn't a huge sticking point: some will inevitably refer to Mark Messier, who had a penchant for doing things like that. I think the huge difference is that Messier was an intimidating guy who, aside from being skilled, actually beat the hell out of some VERY tough guys, like Marty McSorley. Hall is not that type of player.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins  he would qualify as the "quiet leader" type. The word is that he has the respect of all in the dressing room for professionalism and a true desire to be a two-way player rather than an offense-only guy. Do players usually want to follow this type of player as a Captain, or do they prefer somebody more vocal?

Connor McDavid - IMO, this would be a terrible idea. He already has the weight of the world on him to turn around the franchise, live up to expectation AND cure cancer. His time will come.

Andrew Ference - an argument could be made which says to leave the C with Ference, even if he does just play part-time.

Me? I would things as they are. If Ference is traded, or when he retires, run three Assistant Captains, and put the C on McDavid when he's ready. It will really be his team, after all.

@JR Ewing

How about Eberle? Truthfully he has been the best player for the Oilers over the course of the past several years, I love the kid and every time his name pops up in rumors I perk up hoping he is coming to Detroit, lol. I think Edmonton will be happy that the previous regime did not screw up and deal him away. I don't know if he is poor copy or what but he seldom turns quoted in the papers but when he does it usually seems to have a wry humor, so he may be too laid back to wear the C but I would certainly give the kid a shot over RNH or Ference.To me it has to be either he or Hall. Cant go wrong either way.

@JR Ewing

How about Eberle? Truthfully he has been the best player for the Oilers over the course of the past several years, I love the kid and every time his name pops up in rumors I perk up hoping he is coming to Detroit, lol. I think Edmonton will be happy that the previous regime did not screw up and deal him away. I don't know if he is poor copy or what but he seldom turns quoted in the papers but when he does it usually seems to have a wry humor, so he may be too laid back to wear the C but I would certainly give the kid a shot over RNH or Ference.To me it has to be either he or Hall. Cant go wrong either way.

Eberle is another guy, but I think you have it nailed very well with "laid back". He's a terrific offensive player, but is prone to the fly-by when he should target a player physically. That probably doesn't engender huge amounts of respect, but I've never seen anything remotely close to a complaint about him, or bad press.

Mind you, with the Edmonton media, bad press is reserved for two types of players:

a) Anybody that Oilers management would like to run off, or

b) Any Euro that struggles with interviews in English.

I think if the captaincy is based purely from a talent standpoint and you don't want to give it to McDavid right away (which I wouldn't), then I would give it to Nugent-Hopkins.  If you want to give it to a veteran presence who would be most likely to command the respect of the room, I would choose Ference. I think they'll go with Ference.

@JR Ewing

I second Eberle...I was gonna say so until I scrolled down after reading Ewing's initial post and saw yours.

Iceblood Eberle. I love this guy!

Z

I second Eberle...I was gonna say so until I scrolled down after reading Ewing's initial post and saw yours.

Iceblood Eberle. I love this guy!

Z

Once he's off the IR, he would be my second choice ahead of RNH.

I think if the captaincy is based purely from a talent standpoint and you don't want to give it to McDavid right away (which I wouldn't), then I would give it to Nugent-Hopkins.  If you want to give it to a veteran presence who would be most likely to command the respect of the room, I would choose Ference. I think they'll go with Ference.

Since he's already the captain, he may well have a leg up. It's not like he's done anything to strip the C from him, aside from probably not playing much. It's really quite the contrary: he's a terrific representative of the Oilers organization, especially off the ice. He seems to be a better human being than hockey player, and I mean that with much respect.

From Jason Gregor:

I had an eye-opening conversation with Andrew Ference after the game. We discussed the captaincy. He told me he was the one who initiated the conversation with Peter Chiarelli, as well as with McLellan and his teammates. He believes it is better to be upfront and open and discuss the situation. He wanted them to know it wouldn't be uncomfortable.

He won't change who is he whether he has the "C" or not, and he understands the dynamics of the room.

He's always been very upfront and honest, and whether or not I agree with what someone says, I always respect a person when they are honest and open.

I believe the Oilers won't have one player wear the "C" this year. I think you will either see a few alternates, or they will rotate the "C", similar to how Minnesota did. I've always felt we overrate the importance of who wears the letter. You need more than one leader, and good leaders will lead regardless of whether they have a letter on their jersey or not.

http://oilersnation.com/2015/10/2/oilers-mclellan-happy-about-the-loss

I wish that Andrew Ference could still play hockey at the NHL level. His willingness to be accountable and lead is there, but he's completely finished as a player. Last year indicated it, and last night showed that he simply can't keep up at all. Pretty good for a small guy who went undrafted, paid for his own fitness testing, and then sent letters to every GM in the NHL, telling them he had what it takes.

From Jason Gregor:

http://oilersnation.com/2015/10/2/oilers-mclellan-happy-about-the-loss

I wish that Andrew Ference could still play hockey at the NHL level. His willingness to be accountable and lead is there, but he's completely finished as a player. Last year indicated it, and last night showed that he simply can't keep up at all. Pretty good for a small guy who went undrafted, paid for his own fitness testing, and then sent letters to every GM in the NHL, telling them he had what it takes.

Even realizing that he won't be an every game player, that strikes me as a really good reason to leave the captaincy with Ference. That kind of selfless leadership is good for any team. Even if his on ice contributions are limited, my guess is that the team will fare better with his presence. Even if the "C" is overrated, it still seems to hold some level of importance to people.

I think there is no doubt that McDavid will be captain in 3-4 years. I'm in favour of only having one stop gap to Conner, rather than having the messy situation of going through 3 captains in 3 years....it's kinda like coaches....if you have a lot of turnover, it reeks of minor league crap. The other thing, it should not be given to a top elite, like Hall or Eberle, so they are not majorly pissed when Connor takes it away in the years to come. That does not leave a lot of options, but I do believe that is how it will go down.

Ferrance would be ok, but he will probably be gone after this year. Need someone more permanent who will not care once the rightful owner comes calling. The only players currently on the Oilers roster who fit this bill AND are signed for long enough to wait for McJesus to walk on water are Pouliot and Fayne, both signed for 3 more years.

One other thing....from where I sit, Darnell Nurse has captain written all over him. Somebody who leads by example, will stick up for teammates, famous for being a tough SOB,  inspires confidence through dominant physical play. When it is all said and done, Nurse and McDavid will have letters, just don't know who will have what.

Even more of a long shot, but should still be mentioned is Griffin Rienhart, the tough as nails BC native is only 21, and had a very respectable 27 pts in 59 games in the AHL for his pro debut, I believe he played 4 full years of junior in the WHL before going pro....so potentially, he could be ready in 4 years or so if he develops like he is supposed to AND he should be NHL ready this year, unless the Oilers are ultra careful with him. The Oilers just STOLE him....friggin highway robbery....he will be a star IMHO....but I still like Nurse more.

My choice would be Jordan Eberle, but he is banged up with a shoulder injury for 4-6 weeks so I don't thnik he would get it. I definitely would not give it to Connor McDavid. It will be a young guy who gets the C on their jersey and I guess I would lean towards Taylor Hall.

I think there is no doubt that McDavid will be captain in 3-4 years. I'm in favour of only having one stop gap to Conner, rather than having the messy situation of going through 3 captains in 3 years....it's kinda like coaches....if you have a lot of turnover, it reeks of minor league crap. The other thing, it should not be given to a top elite, like Hall or Eberle, so they are not majorly pissed when Connor takes it away in the years to come. That does not leave a lot of options, but I do believe that is how it will go down.

Ferrance would be ok, but he will probably be gone after this year. Need someone more permanent who will not care once the rightful owner comes calling. The only players currently on the Oilers roster who fit this bill AND are signed for long enough to wait for McJesus to walk on water are Pouliot and Fayne, both signed for 3 more years.

One other thing....from where I sit, Darnell Nurse has captain written all over him. Somebody who leads by example, will stick up for teammates, famous for being a tough SOB,  inspires confidence through dominant physical play. When it is all said and done, Nurse and McDavid will have letters, just don't know who will have what.

Even more of a long shot, but should still be mentioned is Griffin Rienhart, the tough as nails BC native is only 21, and had a very respectable 27 pts in 59 games in the AHL for his pro debut, I believe he played 4 full years of junior in the WHL before going pro....so potentially, he could be ready in 4 years or so if he develops like he is supposed to AND he should be NHL ready this year, unless the Oilers are ultra careful with him. The Oilers just STOLE him....friggin highway robbery....he will be a star IMHO....but I still like Nurse more.

Well the Isles did get Mathew Barzal AND Anthony Beauvillier out of that deal, who both look like they could just as easily be stars as Reinhart at this point. So I'm not so sure about the highway robbery.

The Oilers were stacked with young forwards and needed D. The Isles have some D, but they also have some really good young forward prospects. Both teams look like they're building contenders.

Archived