The "Crow or Gripe About Your Fantasy Team" Thread: 2015-16 Edition

TropicalFruitGirl26

@J0e Th0rnton

It will be a close match I'm sure.  I'm not too happy that I had to spend a move to replace Klingberg though.  I had another move I wanted to make, but oh well, life goes on.  All I want to do is win either this week or if I lose, I definitely need to win next week so I can stay in the All Star League.  A loss this week and next week puts me in Bantam League next year.

@JR Ewing

Congrats on Co-Winner Regular Season for the All Star League.  I will be the first to eat my share of humble pie when you chose Bergeron.  It was a great move and a great pick!  Congrats on a great season.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Crow

I almost never do this, but I will this time: some dink (probably somebody who finished much lower) laughed at me on draft day for choosing Patrice Bergeron with my first pick. It's with some satisfaction that I can note that he ran away with the scoring lead in this league.

Gripe

First place seemed like it was as in the bag as it can be. I was in 1st overall, 16-5, matched up against 2nd last with a 5-16 record, and somebody whom I'd outscored by almost 1,000 points over the season. Of course I lost...  LOL! Great week for EDI-Flyer.

He laughed at you because HE wanted Bergeron....and was hoping no one picked him by the time he was ready to draft him.

Typical "I'm angry you did what I was gonna do so imma gonna ridicule you for it" behavior!

You see it in ALL walks of life...not just fantasy hockey...haha.

You get the last laugh though: a great season, with some great players....and credit yourself for making the necessary adjustments / hard decisions along the way to keep your team winning.

Crow away my friend.

Good luck to you in your playoffs!

As for me...I'm gonna crow a bit too.

First time ever doing fantasy hockey (I always thought it kinda silly...glad to be proven wrong) and I finished my regular season tied for 2nd in my league (technically 3rd due to tiebreaker loss), and just a win away from the top spot.

It took a bit of adjusting in altering my thinking a bit when it comes to real NHL strategy and fantasy strategy, but, with the help of some good folks here, I learned quickly how to "play the game" and am confident I can beat any player I am matched up against if I have a bit of good luck to go along with it.

Everyone except Leafs Nation....lol.......i HAAAATE that match up....hah.

I have no gripes at this time.

Not unless my hand picked playoff squad goes and lays a complete egg in round 1.

But I think I can do well and looking forward to possible league promotion and facing some hardcore GM's in the All Star League next season! :ahappy:

14 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

He laughed at you because HE wanted Bergeron....and was hoping no one picked him by the time he was ready to draft him.

Typical "I'm angry you did what I was gonna do so imma gonna ridicule you for it" behavior!

You see it in ALL walks of life...not just fantasy hockey...haha.

You get the last laugh though: a great season, with some great players....and credit yourself for making the necessary adjustments / hard decisions along the way to keep your team winning.

Crow away my friend.

Good luck to you in your playoffs!

As for me...I'm gonna crow a bit too.

First time ever doing fantasy hockey (I always thought it kinda silly...glad to be proven wrong) and I finished my regular season tied for 2nd in my league (technically 3rd due to tiebreaker loss), and just a win away from the top spot.

It took a bit of adjusting in altering my thinking a bit when it comes to real NHL strategy and fantasy strategy, but, with the help of some good folks here, I learned quickly how to "play the game" and am confident I can beat any player I am matched up against if I have a bit of good luck to go along with it.

Everyone except Leafs Nation....lol.......i HAAAATE that match up....hah.

I have no gripes at this time.

Not unless my hand picked playoff squad goes and lays a complete egg in round 1.

But I think I can do well and looking forward to possible league promotion and facing some hardcore GM's in the All Star League next season! :ahappy:

I can't wait to see how you and JR decide to build your teams in the keeper league expansion:)

I thought knowing I was doomed this year to lose was going to be aggravating, but the process of focusing on improving for next year was actually quite fulfilling.

27 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@J0e Th0rnton

Congrats Joe.  No way I'm coming back from 40 points down.  Just too many injuries and slumps in the last few weeks.  Just praying I win next or it is off to the Bantam League next year. :(

It ain't over yet doc. I have seen too many 50-60 point nights to feel comfortable.

My work league is giving me fits. I am winning categories 7-3, but they are all razor close. I need Dubnyk to be a sieve tonight to ensure the work week win. Hurts me here, but I hope he gets lit up

I can't get over how Yave and I have identical scores going into today.

I assumed best team, would play lowest ranked team going forward, but it looks like no matter what, one of us play HF next week

38 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@J0e Th0rnton

Congrats Joe.  No way I'm coming back from 40 points down.  Just too many injuries and slumps in the last few weeks.  Just praying I win next or it is off to the Bantam League next year. :(

I'm in the same boat. AJ's team averaged 144 points per week in the regular season, and has exploded for 174 with one day still to go. Figures.

Hey, can you finish tied for 1st but still be relegated next year?   lol

@JR Ewing

yeah that is what is gonna make this league tough.  Even though you finish in top during the regular season, you must carry it through the playoffs.

http://www.hockeyforums.net/fantasy/hf.net-fhl/

So yeah...theoretically, the #1 team could be bounce to the Bantam League if they have a poor showing in the playoffs.

58 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

It ain't over yet doc. I have seen too many 50-60 point nights to feel comfortable.

My work league is giving me fits. I am winning categories 7-3, but they are all razor close. I need Dubnyk to be a sieve tonight to ensure the work week win. Hurts me here, but I hope he gets lit up

I can't get over how Yave and I have identical scores going into today.

I assumed best team, would play lowest ranked team going forward, but it looks like no matter what, one of us play HF next week

You know who has killed me......Jake Allen...he had 6 wins in a row and then got absolutely lit up like a christmas tree by Calgary and Edmonton.  Seriously...that should have been 2 wins and assume 10 points per win...that would give me an additional 20 points and I would only be down 20.  My goal tending in the last few weeks have killed me.  Poor play and injuries have just threw my team into a tailspin.  Lundqvist / Anderson / Allen should have been a solid trio and all 3 have let me down.

So yeah I know you and I have both seen 50-60 point nights, but we both have 8 players going today......it would be different if I had 8 and you had like 2, but I just don't think all your players are gonna have bad nights at the same time.  Like I always say...I'll hope for the best...but I will expect the worse.  Regardless it has been a fun year.

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@JR Ewing

yeah that is what is gonna make this league tough.  Even though you finish in top during the regular season, you must carry it through the playoffs.

http://www.hockeyforums.net/fantasy/hf.net-fhl/

So yeah...theoretically, the #1 team could be bounce to the Bantam League if they have a poor showing in the playoffs.

Cheesy.png

Gotcha.

43 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm in the same boat. AJ's team averaged 144 points per week in the regular season, and has exploded for 174 with one day still to go. Figures.

Hey, can you finish tied for 1st but still be relegated next year?   lol

I'm just crossing my fingers.  My average is so bad because I had a terrible first 6 weeks. Anderson/Bishop flat out stunk. I've had much better scores after that.

Just now, AJgoal said:

I'm just crossing my fingers.  My average is so bad because I had a terrible first 6 weeks. Anderson/Bishop flat out stunk. I've had much better scores after that.

Well, you've had a great week any way you look at it. There are NO easy match-ups in this league. Congrats to you!

I have to admit that I think the relegation possibility a little bit cheesy; that you can be great over 22 weeks, and then bad in Week 23, and find yourself in Bantam League. I disagree, think it's a bad idea, but will piss and moan no further about it. Well, maybe my wife will have to put up with it, but I won't go on around here.   lol

53 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Well, you've had a great week any way you look at it. There are NO easy match-ups in this league. Congrats to you!

Still have today's games, so I'm not out of these woods yet. If I win, it will be because of how bad Boston and Chicago were this week. I was ahead after day 1, when you had at least twice as many players that first day. It eliminated your manpower advantage for the week. Great match up, though!

58 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I have to admit that I think the relegation possibility a little bit cheesy; that you can be great over 22 weeks, and then bad in Week 23, and find yourself in Bantam League. I disagree, think it's a bad idea, but will piss and moan no further about it. Well, maybe my wife will have to put up with it, but I won't go on around here.   lol

One of the reasons why we sent out the survey is to get folks opinions on having playoffs in this set of leagues format.  There are several thoughts here.

• Having an 8 team playoffs keeps 9 maybe 10 team managers interested most of the season.  Downside is 2 of those 8 will get relegated to the Bantam leagues based upon losing two weeks in a row in the playoffs.  The playoffs in itself adds some extra interest as any of the top 8 can win the league.  Deserving or undeserving as they have managed a team all season and put together a team that will succeed during the final weeks of the NHL season.
  • Having a 6 team playoffs loses some interest in the season by a a couple of more managers as probably only 7 or 8 have a shot of making the top 6 based on the regular season.  The playoffs then are just ranking those who have earned a spot to stay in the league.
  • Having no playoffs at all -- just play through the entire season. Ranking teams according to finish.   Not much different than the second option imo.   I think folks in the 8-12 spot will just quit playing 3/4 of the way through the season.

In order to make this whole tier'd league work is acquiring 36 competitive managers who each year get to play with a different group of members with some bragging rights along the way.

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

One of the reasons why we sent out the survey is to get folks opinions on having playoffs in this set of leagues format.  There are several thoughts here.

• Having an 8 team playoffs keeps 9 maybe 10 team managers interested most of the season.  Downside is 2 of those 8 will get relegated to the Bantam leagues based upon losing two weeks in a row in the playoffs.  The playoffs in itself adds some extra interest as any of the top 8 can win the league.  Deserving or undeserving as they have managed a team all season and put together a team that will succeed during the final weeks of the NHL season.
  • Having a 6 team playoffs loses some interest in the season by a a couple of more managers as probably only 7 or 8 have a shot of making the top 6 based on the regular season.  The playoffs then are just ranking those who have earned a spot to stay in the league.
  • Having no playoffs at all -- just play through the entire season. Ranking teams according to finish.   Not much different than the second option imo.   I think folks in the 8-12 spot will just quit playing 3/4 of the way through the season.

In order to make this whole tier'd league work is acquiring 36 competitive managers who each year get to play with a different group of members with some bragging rights along the way.

thank you for putting into words exactly what i was thinking.....

I look at this way...it is no different than than the winner of the President's trophy being bounced out of the playoffs during the 1st round.  I like the set-up we have.  Like @hf101 mentioned, that is why it is important that everyone responds to the survey we sent out. Your opinions DO MATTER to us! i think I can safely speak for hf101 for one minute here...we just want everyone to have the best fantasy experience possible! 

Well, like I said, I won't complain further. Trust me, it's not the end of the world, and I'm not raging at the possibility. Not at all. But really, I understand that managing the leagues and keeping everybody interested and involved is a huge priority for you guys. I completely get that.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

@radoran

@ruxpin

I had wondered about something similar in NAHANA. Given that you are worried about  some of the "selling" and tanking at it were, maybe a partial answer is to: Make the consolation bracket mean something by awarding not the last place team with 1st overall pick, but the winner of the consolation bracket in descending order. Kind of a 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

That way if people sell, yes they can accumulate extra picks, but their chances of getting the #1 pick next year decrease dramatically. Ergo, tanking is not rewarded with the higher picks.

I should probably shut up since I have no chance of doing well in the playoffs this year since Edmonton only plays 2 games a week for the final 2 playoff weeks and Seguin is out with an Achilles cut . That pretty much cancels out McDavid, Draisaitl, Talbot and Seguin's effectiveness and I have no streaming moves left and I traded my good depth for picks . But it is something I considered suggesting when you were worried about "Tanking".

In the interest of "keeping it interesting to teams that are out"

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

You know who has killed me......Jake Allen...he had 6 wins in a row and then got absolutely lit up like a christmas tree by Calgary and Edmonton.  Seriously...that should have been 2 wins and assume 10 points per win...that would give me an additional 20 points and I would only be down 20.  My goal tending in the last few weeks have killed me.  Poor play and injuries have just threw my team into a tailspin.  Lundqvist / Anderson / Allen should have been a solid trio and all 3 have let me down.

So yeah I know you and I have both seen 50-60 point nights, but we both have 8 players going today......it would be different if I had 8 and you had like 2, but I just don't think all your players are gonna have bad nights at the same time.  Like I always say...I'll hope for the best...but I will expect the worse.  Regardless it has been a fun year.

Dubnyk's 3 goals on 5 shots and 3 goals on 17 shots kinda sucked for me too lol. And Gibson has a whole 2 points this week.

I think our goaltending has been equally crappy. 9.8 points between Dubnyk and Gibson vs 12.8 points from Greiss hehe.

I put a lot of eggs in the Kings basket for the first 2 rounds since they play 4 games each week. Sharks and ducks play 4 the first playoff week and 4 the last. Overall, Pacific power with 2 Sharks, 2 Ducks and 4 Kings is where all my points are coming from. The cup is coming out of the pacific this year. They are walking over everyone else at the right time.

@J0e Th0rnton

Totally agree with you on the LA Kings.  Collectively as a group they have been on fire.  I was lucky to get some points from VLC.  It was a gamble you took and it paid off. (I still think you move on)  Yeah your goal tending has kind of let you down too.  Funny how things turn out.... I had Dubnyk and F. Andersen last year and won the league with those two.

Of course like you mentioned, having Seguin get hurt has hurt me too and then I saw that Vlasc was out a came.  Klingberg was out a few games....the injury bug hit me at the absolute worse time and finding replacements have been difficult.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

@pilldoc

The biggest challenge we face moving forward is growing to acquire 36 active HF.net FHL managers.

Agree ...Even though we are not finished with the league this year....we need to start heavily advertising for next year....now.

Just now, J0e Th0rnton said:

We are already in the playoffs tho :P

Nahana's playoffs start tomorrow.

I know, but it ultimately killed my chance of catching HF for #1 seed (not that it matters, but it was something to shoot for).  It's still possible as I'm only 1 pt. behind as I type this, but I don't think it's likely.

Archived