being realistic with hextall

briere48

i know people love hextall and he won a cup as assistant gm but i having doubts with hextall. as much as i hated homer for what did to the roster by oversigning players, that team was still mentally tough, they never gave up on plays, they skated like they wanted to win and after letting go jagr and hextall letting go hartnell, this team has gotten worse. it's not because about how they played against florida, because it's been like this ever since lavy was let go. nothing has changed, it's the same problems with defense, forwards not checking, not scoring goals,not skating it's like this team is mentally soft.

honestly i dont know what impact these young guys are going to bring, it could be same players we have right now with cheaper contracts.

if you look at the ducks on why they are so good is because they have big/fast skilled players with alot of mental toughness. with this team there's no mental toughness with these players. every good stanley cup team has alot of mental toughness.

i could be wrong but in my opinion nothing is going to change until new owner comes in.

im just being realistic and i understand fans want a cup so bad because hextall has won one with la but if this is how the team is going to play for next 5 years, i dont see a cup happening.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

, that team was still mentally tough, they never gave up on plays, they skated like they wanted to win

You obviously have selective memory don't worry it's common my wife suffers from this too sometimes.........

@briere48

You do realize that this is essentially the same team/line-up that was on the ice for the majority of the time last year.  Things are not going to magically change over night.  There is a thing called the cap which essentially is tying the hands of Hextall from making the moves he has to make. The cap hell that this is experiencing is a direct result from gross cap mismanagement by the former GM know as Homer.  Vinny is stuck here.  MacDonald is down in the AHL but is still a cap hit for this team.  Do you really think Umberger is worth the 4 million / yr.  The only saving grace is that his contract will end sooner than that of Hartnell's had he remained here.

Hakstol can only get from the players so much.  Raffl is not a 1st Line Winger, who do you suggest you put in there?  Gagner? (that might be a choice) B. Schenn? (does not have the wheels to skate with Jake and G)  Letting go of Jagr was a mistake, but that is water under the bridge and can't be undone.  Do you really think Hartnell would make a difference with this team?  No he would not.  

I'll take my chances on the younger guys when they are ready.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ducks have not won squat.  They too were bumped from the playoffs.  In 5 years the make up of this team will be vastly different so you really can't make that statement.  The only players that will probably be guarenteed to be here in 5 years will be Coots / Jake / G.   And just to point out the fact...Laughton is the only young guy currently on the Flyers squad.

The only saving grace is that his contract will end sooner than that of Hartnell's had he remained here.

Well it's not the only saving grace.......he is finally playing better.....in fact he leads the team in points. :ph34r:

Raffl is not a 1st Line Winger, who do you suggest you put in there? 

Honestly.....i'd love to see what Leier would look like on G's left....sure it is asking a lot to jump from the AHL to the 1st line LW in the NHL...but it doesn't change the fact that i'd like to see what it would look like. I mean he is their top LW prospect....maybe arguably...

@briere48

I'll take my chances on the younger guys when they are ready. 

thing is how to do know these guys he drafted are going to be good? because they are first round picks? like i said im not praising hextall until he actually wins a cup here, am i allowed to have doubts? i have to praise hextall, all because he won a cup as assititant in LA and it means it will automatically happen here? 

i know people love hextall and he won a cup as assistant gm but i having doubts with hextall. as much as i hated homer for what did to the roster by oversigning players, that team was still mentally tough, they never gave up on plays, they skated like they wanted to win and after letting go jagr and hextall letting go hartnell, this team has gotten worse. it's not because about how they played against florida, because it's been like this ever since lavy was let go. nothing has changed, it's the same problems with defense, forwards not checking, not scoring goals,not skating it's like this team is mentally soft.

honestly i dont know what impact these young guys are going to bring, it could be same players we have right now with cheaper contracts.

if you look at the ducks on why they are so good is because they have big/fast skilled players with alot of mental toughness. with this team there's no mental toughness with these players. every good stanley cup team has alot of mental toughness.

i could be wrong but in my opinion nothing is going to change until new owner comes in.

im just being realistic and i understand fans want a cup so bad because hextall has won one with la but if this is how the team is going to play for next 5 years, i dont see a cup happening.

thing is how to do know these guys he drafted are going to be good? because they are first round picks? like i said im not praising hextall until he actually wins a cup here, am i allowed to have doubts? i have to praise hextall, all because he won a cup as assititant in LA and it means it will automatically happen here? 

I agree with you...to a point. Hextall's approach is 100 percent correct: draft well, develop well, build from within.

Whether or not he is able to actually do that, I am not sure. Time will tell. 

You also alluded to a problem with this team that no one talks about - a collectively low hockey IQ. They have stupid players or players who make stupid decisions. Every game, a Schenn brother, Giroux (yes, Giroux, who is becoming a defensive liability) or M Read makes a play that leaves me scratching my head (first period in the Panthers' game: Read makes a RISKY cross ice, backhand pass from just inside his own blueline, rather than take the safe play and either skate it out of the zone or push it along the boards; absolutely ridiculous play).

As I said, time will tell if Hextall's approach is successful. This is definitely a rebuilding year so I am not expecting much from the team in the short term.

@briere48

I want 30 seconds of my life I spent reading your post back.

You realize Hextall inherited a nightmare that previous GM created.  You *do* realize that, right?  He is not a magician.  He can't waive a magic wand and have all these contracts suddenly disappear.

You didn't like the draft?  You didn't like the fact that Grossmann is gone and Pronger's contract is gone?  You don't like the fact that McDud is relegated to the Phantoms?

Give it time.  It's not about this season.

You also alluded to a problem with this team that no one talks about - a collectively low hockey IQ.

Yeah 29th in penalty kill after 2 games ain't helping things...this has struggled since last year not sure if it's the IQ or just the talent level isn't there.

@briere48

I want 30 seconds of my life I spent reading your post back.

You realize Hextall inherited a nightmare that previous GM created.  You *do* realize that, right?  He is not a magician.  He can't waive a magic wand and have all these contracts suddenly disappear.

You didn't like the draft?  You didn't like the fact that Grossmann is gone and Pronger's contract is gone?  You don't like the fact that McDud is relegated to the Phantoms?

Give it time.  It's not about this season.

im giving it time but the mental mistakes are still there and it hasnt changed, im not expecting playoffs but i want to see guys play like they want to play and not making same mental mistakes that's been happening since lavy was fired. if it's the same for next 5 years, then im assuming hextall doesnt know how to build a team.

even if hextall gets rid of all contracts, it's doesnt mean anything, you still have to get the right players to win. it's not about liking or hating the draft, it's the matter of can those guys can work in nhl, nothing is guaranteed. that's the one thing i can agree with hextall about being careful playing drafted guys in the nhl, you just dont know if they can play in nhl or not. it doesnt matter what round they are drafted, you can get busts in the top 5 draft.

thing is how to do know these guys he drafted are going to be good?

No there is no such thing as a gurantee, except in death and taxes, however, that is why you have scouts and you need to trust your scouting department.  When you are drafting at number 7 and the draft talent pool is such that it was considered one of the deepest drafts in years, then yes, there is some level of expectation that they are going to succeed.  Not every player taken in the top 5 is going to be a flop like Falloon or Daigle.  Matter of fact if you read any of the scouting reports, there were some that had Provorov ranked higher than Hanifin.  Konecy was ranked 10-15 and dropped to #23 because Boston developed a severe brain freeze.  The Flyers got a steal drafting him at #23.

The other side of this conversation is that many clubs rush these kids to the NHL to quickly and set them up to fail.  Hexy has already addressed that and stated in numerous interviews that he will not play these kids on the big club until they are absolutely ready.  An idea I support.

You certainly have every right to question Hexy, but the realistic argument that you presented is the fact that he inherited an unmitigated disaster of a team.  It will take time to undo this mess that Homer created.  Sadly many Flyers fans rush to pass judgement way to fast.

im giving it time but the mental mistakes are still there and it hasnt changed, im not expecting playoffs but i want to see guys play like they want to play and not making same mental mistakes that's been happening since lavy was fired. if it's the same for next 5 years, then im assuming hextall doesnt know how to build a team.

even if hextall gets rid of all contracts, it's doesnt mean anything, you still have to get the right players to win. it's not about liking or hating the draft, it's the matter of can those guys can work in nhl, nothing is guaranteed. that's the one thing i can agree with hextall about being careful playing drafted guys in the nhl, you just dont know if they can play in nhl or not. it doesnt matter what round they are drafted, you can get busts in the top 5 draft.

Hextall can't fix the mental mistakes. That's on the players and the coaching staff.

Hextall has done a fantastic job when you consider the steaming pile of crap he inherited. Bloated contracts, no depth, little in the way of prospects coming through the system. Give him another year to weed out some more players and acquire some more picks and you'll start seeing the fruits of his labour. When the Flyers are out of it again at the trade deadline, he's going to have some very good assets to move in Luke Schenn, Mark Streit, maybe even Del Zotto or Medvedev. In the case of Mark Streit, you're looking at adding a legitimate blue chip prospect and first round pick back to the mix.

Nobody was kidding themselves about this club making the playoffs this year. This was about getting Hextall's guy in place as head coach, allowing him to implement his system and then reporting back to Ron about which players should stay and which should go. Let it all shake out first before declaring Hextall a bust.

You're allowed to have doubts but the case you made was utter nonsense. And Jagr, for example, was HOLMGREN.

Seriously, your initial post was so devoid of anything resembling reality.

I agree with you...to a point. Hextall's approach is 100 percent correct: draft well, develop well, build from within.

Whether or not he is able to actually do that, I am not sure. Time will tell.

You also alluded to a problem with this team that no one talks about - a collectively low hockey IQ. They have stupid players or players who make stupid decisions. Every game, a Schenn brother, Giroux (yes, Giroux, who is becoming a defensive liability) or M Read makes a play that leaves me scratching my head (first period in the Panthers' game: Read makes a RISKY cross ice, backhand pass from just inside his own blueline, rather than take the safe play and either skate it out of the zone or push it along the boards; absolutely ridiculous play).

As I said, time will tell if Hextall's approach is successful. This is definitely a rebuilding year so I am not expecting much from the team in the short term.

See, THIS is how you write a post showing concern that has some basis in observed reality. I mean, we can disagree about conclusions drawn (in this case, though, I agree with you) but well, you know.

I think (hope) some of your concerns can/will be addressed as some of the albatross contacts can be moved out and can begin to be replaced by kids and other sensible moves. But I agree, we can't know yet whether Hextall will be successful. Have to wait and see.

This is a straight up HORRIBLE post. We finally get a GM with an actual plan and you are complaining. We finally get a guy who is not infatuated with the shiny new toy addition, you don't approve?

I *know* that Hexy is the man for the job....why you ask?  Because Hexy is building from the back end out, he understands the key to the NHL game is the transition game. Any successful team has a trademark excellent transition game. The quicker you get the puck up the ice in a controlled manner, the quicker other portions of the game evolve. Hexy is stockpiling players who will get the job done...AND kick in offense from the back end. Hexy just gets it....and has the patience to see his plans through to fruition.

Hexy is making the most of a VERY bad leave by Homer. He's limited because of the lack of cap space Homer left this team in....and even then, he's making smart moves. Anyone who gets any type of decent pick for Grossmannnnn....has my confidence.

This is a straight up HORRIBLE post. We finally get a GM with an actual plan and you are complaining. We finally get a guy who is not infatuated with the shiny new toy addition, you don't approve?

I *know* that Hexy is the man for the job....why you ask?  Because Hexy is building from the back end out, he understands the key to the NHL game is the transition game. Any successful team has a trademark excellent transition game. The quicker you get the puck up the ice in a controlled manner, the quicker other portions of the game evolve. Hexy is stockpiling players who will get the job done...AND kick in offense from the back end. Hexy just gets it....and has the patience to see his plans through to fruition.

Hexy is making the most of a VERY bad leave by Homer. He's limited because of the lack of cap space Homer left this team in....and even then, he's making smart moves. Anyone who gets any type of decent pick for Grossmannnnn....has my confidence.

im not complaining, im expressing my opinions and im not allowed to have doubts because hextall won a cup in la as assistant and it means it's an automatic stanley cup victory in philadelphia? nothing is won on paper, yeah every team has great scouts but it doesnt mean the players are a slam dunk in the draft. some may work out, some may not. yeah hextall is getting rid of contracts good for him but that's not going win me over. his plan still has to prove it will work and right now no one knows that it's going to work because the players he drafted arent playing yet.

Plus they still have to prove they can play in the nhl and if they are mentality tough to handle it. you cant say it will work if these players he drafted cant play in the nhl.

im not complaining, im expressing my opinions and im not allowed to have doubts because hextall won a cup in la as assistant and it means it's an automatic stanley cup victory in philadelphia? nothing is won on paper, yeah every team has great scouts but it doesnt mean the players are a slam dunk in the draft. some may work out, some may not. yeah hextall is getting rid of contracts good for him but that's not going win me over. his plan still has to prove it will work and right now no one knows that it's going to work because the players he drafted arent playing yet.

Plus they still have to prove they can play in the nhl and if they are mentality tough to handle it. you cant say it will work if these players he drafted cant play in the nhl.

No one is saying you can't have doubts. We're saying what you're saying is ridiculous and based on propositions that are wholly inaccurate.

im not complaining, im expressing my opinions and im not allowed to have doubts because hextall won a cup in la as assistant and it means it's an automatic stanley cup victory in philadelphia? nothing is won on paper, yeah every team has great scouts but it doesnt mean the players are a slam dunk in the draft.

I said nothing of the sort, I guaranteed no Cup victory, I was just acknowledging that he is doing a fine job constructing a team with limited cap space.

Let's put this another way, during the time frame that the Flyers hired Hexy, who would you have chosen instead of Hexy and why?

By the way, I really get annoyed with the "I have a right to my opinion." I see that a lot. Show me where it says that?

And even if we do, we don't have a right to our own made up set of facts

I said nothing of the sort, I guaranteed no Cup victory, I was just acknowledging that he is doing a fine job constructing a team with limited cap space.

Let's put this another way, during the time frame that the Flyers hired Hexy, who would you have chosen instead of Hexy and why?

Oh god, now you did it.

Archived