Went to go see Travis Konecny on Thursday.....

jammer2

He was quite the offensive force. Really, just as advertised....fast, gritty, elusive, wicked hockey sense...it was all on display. He was playing RW, something I figured would happen with all the Flyers signed long term that play center. He was a very slippery elusive RW, dipping and turning behind the net, creating space and time until he could get a perfect feed out front. Many, many times he looked like he was going to get pasted in the boards, but his stop/start and change of direction proved to be VERY effective.

There was one time when Spits first round pick Morgan Stanley just buried him in the boards, but the one hit was all the Spits could really manage against Travis. I would estimate he generated at least 6 or 7 solid scoring chances in this game, but ended up with only one assist, on a then game tying goal that was later erased and it went to 3-3 eventually. Ottawa won it during the 3-3 with Travis resting on the bench.

Travis was teamed with a Montreal Canadians pick, Addison, and he looked to be an impressive physical presence and a guy who can finish the passes given out by Travis....Konecny appears to be a pass first kinda guy, his stat line read 1 goal and 8 assists on the season after this one finished.

Went out to the smoking area during the 2nd intermission and ended up meeting a whole whack of Travis's family. I was in my Flyer gear and they spotted that and approached....I had like 10 people around me in Ottawas gear, so I figured something was up...lol. Turns out most of Travis's family is from the Blenheim area, so they all came down to Windsor, it's his only visit to Southern Ont this year....ALSO...it turns out Travis has some nice blood lines in his family, he's 2nd cousins with the Canucks Bo Horvat...did not know that till his cousins filled me in on the info. Real nice family he has, very classy people.

@ruxpin  I think he takes the exact same career trajectory as Cousins. More upside than Cousins, but he is really small and will have to get used to the pro game with the Phantoms, at least, that is what I see happening. No way does he go straight to the Flyers.

edit...so, this year and next in Ottawa, then at least a one year stay on the Phantoms...so 3 years away at least counting this year.

Thanks for that!

I'd thought he was going to go left wing for some reason. Very slightly disappointed (I said very slightly).

So do you think next year or year after?

Me too...I was thinking he'd look REAL good on the top line w/G and Jake

@ruxpin  The kid has obvious talent, but has a few obstacles to overcome, #1 being size....can he hold up to the big hits he will inevitably take, you can twist and turn and avoid in the OHL, but the NHL opponents are a different beast. He's at least 3 years away unless he totally shocks me. Yeah, he would be a real nice fit on the G and V's wing...no doubt....eventually.

All his relatives were talking about the World Jr's and hoping he makes the squad...it will be close, don't know who the coach is supposed to be yet, but that will determine his chances....if the team was picked on speed and heart, he makes it instantly, but he might get squeezed out for bigger more physical players...we shall see...but playing in that tourny might sky rocket his time of arrival a year earlier...it would be a GREAT experience for him.

@ruxpin  The kid has obvious talent, but has a few obstacles to overcome, #1 being size....can he hold up to the big hits he will inevitably take, you can twist and turn and avoid in the OHL, but the NHL opponents are a different beast. He's at least 3 years away unless he totally shocks me. Yeah, he would be a real nice fit on the G and V's wing...no doubt....eventually.

All his relatives were talking about the World Jr's and hoping he makes the squad...it will be close, don't know who the coach is supposed to be yet, but that will determine his chances....if the team was picked on speed and heart, he makes it instantly, but he might get squeezed out for bigger more physical players...we shall see...but playing in that tourny might sky rocket his time of arrival a year earlier...it would be a GREAT experience for him.

You're probably right about him just not being mature enough physically but he sure is exciting to watch and I'd rather see him than some of the current Flyers.

In fact, I can't EVER remember being more excited about the players NOT on the current team than I am the current squad.

@ruxpin The kid has obvious talent, but has a few obstacles to overcome, #1 being size....can he hold up to the big hits he will inevitably take, you can twist and turn and avoid in the OHL, but the NHL opponents are a different beast. He's at least 3 years away unless he totally shocks me. Yeah, he would be a real nice fit on the G and V's wing...no doubt....eventually.

Konecny's size doesn't concern me. Smaller players think the game differently and know how to compensate for the lack of size. Konecny's issue is that he has a bull in a China shop mentality in that he's go go go, but doesn't pick his spots wisely. That's a coaching issue. I get that they love his energy and grit, but they also need to protect him from himself at times.

I sure hope Neuwy gets healthy soon i see Labarbera is going to be Mason's backup....sure hope he doesn't have to play...scary he has given up 4+ goals in all 3 of his starts with the Phantoms. Not encouraging.

The plus to the call up is Stollie will get the net. I want to see him take it and play well and keep it!

Edit:I meant to put this post in the Prospect thread i guess it was to early tbis morning before my coffee...it would be sweet if a mod could move it there for me! Thanks....my bad! :)

Looks like you've motivated him all the way to within a point of leading the OHL in scoring....nice job!

**patting self on the back**

All i ask is that he include my name in his hall of fame induction speech....not asking much!

Archived