Mike Babcock

BluPuk

I have watched every post-game video of Mike Babcock since he arrived as our coach and I am convinced that the 8 million a year (or whatever it was) is money well spent.

He is totally in command of the scrums and if a reporter steps out of line he politely corrects them and answers the question they should have asked instead. He is never impolite or short with the press. 

I can already see a real difference (improvement) in the players' attitudes and their effort on the ice. They actually look organised most of the time.

Poor old Dion finally is getting fewer minutes per game and may be able to play a few years longer.

They have cut wayyyy down on the number of shots against.

If this keeps up, they may actually win some games......

I have watched every post-game video of Mike Babcock since he arrived as our coach and I am convinced that the 8 million a year (or whatever it was) is money well spent.

He is totally in command of the scrums and if a reporter steps out of line he politely corrects them and answers the question they should have asked instead. He is never impolite or short with the press. 

I can already see a real difference (improvement) in the players' attitudes and their effort on the ice. They actually look organised most of the time.

Poor old Dion finally is getting fewer minutes per game and may be able to play a few years longer.

We'll see how that goes through out they year check back when/if they are fighting for a playoff spot...........

@OccamsRazor

I don't think anyone actually believes that roster is fighting for a playoff spot.

I won't argue that but this early in the season it seems no one is yet out of it though..............except maybe the Blue Jackets...0-6 i expect Richards to be the 1st to see the hangman this year...Bob is struggling too...it doesn't help...easier to fire the coach than the team...Leafs still have questions in goal...the Ghost of Eddie Belfour?????

@flyercanuck

Agree. I said they might win some games - that's all. IMO, not enough to make a play-off spot, just enough so they don't get the no. 1 pick without winning the lottery.

But, what I think they might do, is bring back at least some of the pride that us long suffering Leafs fans used to have. They got beat by the Penguins last night but it was no easy task, and the Leafs were in it from the start. That's just fine for now after the last painful 10 years......

Baby steps...basically.

One can't expect even an outstanding coach like Mike Babcock to completely fix the mess that is the Toronto Maple Leafs in just one season.

If you are seeing just a smidgen of improvement in overall play and attitude, then that in itself is a victory and a sign that the organization may finally be moving in the direction it needs to.

Still lots of flotsam and jetsam for the team to sift through before seeing radical improvements and I suspect that when that time comes, the majority of the current roster will be no more.

In the meantime, and while he makes millions, Mike Babcock will continue to twist and turn until the team resembles one that is playoff worthy.

One of the big differences I notice in the Babber coached Leafs as opposed to last year is how controlled the break outs are. No more of this helter skelter free roaming, everybody stays in their lanes and conducts themselves like pros....you can tell this behavior was drilled into them with lots of video watching and practice, practice, practice.

One thing you can say for sure is that if things don't work out, it's not the coach's fault anymore. We've watched the Leafs burn through coaches in recent years with no success.

I'm hoping Babcock is one of a small group of people still with the team five years from now.  :)

@WordsOfWisdom   I always thought Caryle was just a "meh" coach, but Wilson....he was outright brutal. Had no idea how to play the young kids. players just hated him, he never missed a chance to throw individual players and the team as a whole under the bus when the heat got to hot in the kitchen. His strategies were behind the times and he was quite often out maneuvered in the line match up game. I was hoping and praying he stayed in Toronto for as long as humanly possible, but deep down, I knew he would never stay for the full length of his deal.

@WordsOfWisdom   I always thought Caryle was just a "meh" coach, but Wilson....he was outright brutal. Had no idea how to play the young kids. players just hated him, he never missed a chance to throw individual players and the team as a whole under the bus when the heat got to hot in the kitchen. His strategies were behind the times and he was quite often out maneuvered in the line match up game. I was hoping and praying he stayed in Toronto for as long as humanly possible, but deep down, I knew he would never stay for the full length of his deal.

I don't know who the media would rather have seen after a Leafs game, Wilson or this guy:

post-1448-0-79708200-1445254880_thumb.jp

On paper, don't the leafs have enough talent to make the playoffs each year? It seems to me that they do. So.... if they do get over the mental blocks, egos, defeatist attitudes soon, why couldn't they go for th4e playoffs?

Sadly, no.  :(

The Leafs are the least talented of the original six teams. If you look through their history, they have managed to avoid talent so well that they haven't had an individual award winner in any of the major trophies for how many years now?

Last Leaf player to win:

• Art Ross?
  • Hart trophy?
  • Vezina trophy?
  • Norris trophy?
  • etc...

Last Leaf team to win:

• Stanley Cup?
  • Campbell/Wales trophy?
  • Playoff series?
  • President's trophy?
  • Division title?

:hocky:

Sadly, no.  :(

The Leafs are the least talented of the original six teams. If you look through their history, they have managed to avoid talent so well that they haven't had an individual award winner in any of the major trophies for how many years now?

Last Leaf player to win:

• Art Ross?
  • Hart trophy?
  • Vezina trophy?
  • Norris trophy?
  • etc...

Last Leaf team to win:

• Stanley Cup?
  • Campbell/Wales trophy?
  • Playoff series?
  • President's trophy?
  • Division title?

:hocky:

Alright. It just seems like they've had a decent enough team as of late. They do have a lot of pressure on them and it seems that the players just walk away from it.

Alright. It just seems like they've had a decent enough team as of late. They do have a lot of pressure on them and it seems that the players just walk away from it.

It's hard to break out of a losing culture. It starts to define who you are. The last time the Leafs started over they rushed things by trading away top draft picks for questionable players. This time they say they're going to do things the proper way and build through the draft. I guess we'll see how it pans out.  :)

Archived