2015 Current FA Players: Is There REALLY No Room for These Guys?

TropicalFruitGirl26

462940856_slide.jpg

Was perusing this link:

http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents

A compiled list of players that have no teams at the moment.

I was just wondering:

Are ALL of these guys really "done", "washed up", and can serve no purpose to any team on the NHL today??

I just find it a bit hard to believe.

Some guys on the list are pretty obvious...guys like Josh Harding with medical issues, guys like John Curry who is a career AHL goaltender (and a mediocre one at that).

Others like Scott Hannan, Brenden Morrow, Matt Cooke, and Jan Hejda are likely simply too old and/or slow of foot to be useful in today's NHL any longer.

Still others probably have some personal issues that need resolving before any team even thinks of looking their way.

Yet, I can't help but feel that at least a handful of the guys on this list (53 players total) could serve some purpose on an NHL team today.

As an example, my chosen 'poster boy' at the start of this post, BJ Crombeen.

Sure, he isn't going to score anything for you, is more prone to fight than to skate, but, last I checked, he was a pretty good penalty killer and a versatile bottom six guy whom a coach can put at center or either wing and he'd be fine.

He is still only 30 years old and a contract for him would likely be very light on a team's cap.

Then you have rugged, hard hitting defensemen like Eric Brewer, Bryan Allen, Tim Gleason, and Anton Volchenkov.

I understand the NHL is moving towards very mobile puck moving defenders, but is there really not a place for a guy who will happily put people on their cans if they sniff around too much on his goalie?

Some of those D-men are a bit long in the tooth, but a guy like Volchenkov, for instance, is still only 33...I would think in a league where some fans feel the talent is already "diluted" with too many teams, that a guy like him could find a spot, if only as a stop gap while teams develop their younger D-men.

And again, those defensemen wouldn't be big hits on the cap either.

What do others think?

Any players on that list that you think SHOULD be on an NHL team somewhere?

Considering some of the slugs that DO have contracts on NHL teams now, I would think at least some of the guys on this list would get a look by NHL teams.

Perhaps as the trade deadline draws near and teams are reluctant to make moves because of parity, will some teams will look to this 'scrap heap' and try to find a useful part for a run of some kind?

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Perhaps they are asking too much money?  And maybe they have lousy agents who keep telling them to have pride in their talents and not drop their price ("You're worth 10 Million a year, babe!  Don't sell out for less!)

Still the other thing might be that teams are wanting to really develop their own talent pool from the draft.  Bringing in a veteran of whatever experience is almost certainly going to command a roster spot ahead of a younger guy.  Maybe those draft picks are just as (or close to) good at a fraction of the price.

In the end though, you're right.  53 players without homes is pretty staggering....

@WingNut722

Hah!

Never gave the 'expansion angle' a thought....you may be on to something...

I mean really..with all the world wide talent, why have brand new expansion franchises get young new talent when they could have retreads that would cost much less to ice a team on, then once established worry about bringing in the latest hotshots from Jrs and Europe, right?

I know your post was said in jest...as was mine........but man, this is Gary Freakin Bettman we are talking about.

Would ANY of us put anything past this guy??

As for FA players with high contract demands via their agents:

If that is the case, they may want to reconsider switching agencies.

What kind of agent "goes to bat for you" trying to get you the highest possible contract...yet has you sitting at home while the season parades on by?

I do see your point in teams likely wanting to develop via the draft and from within.

The most successful teams right now are those who have mostly young talent. And with all the rule changes that favor the fast, mobile skater, I can see many of these guys being left out for one reason or the other.

However, you also have many young built teams out there with no real direction on the ice, and that's where I contend a solid, grizzled vet such as those on this list can come in handy.

Teams don't need to have many of them, one maybe two, and the experience they can impart on young players can be invaluable.

Of course, this ASSUMES said veteran has any interest in building up a team that will likely discard him once his usefulness is up.

But even given that, I would think some of the players on the list, with perhaps an eye to coaching down the road, would want to give that a go at the ice and player level first, knowing full well that their days as a regular NHL player are numbered whether they are helping to bring a young team along or sitting at home......at least, as the 23rd or 24th man on the team, they will be less likely forgotten.

Then of course, of the 53 players listed, 11 of them are 25 yrs of age or under.

I would assume there are likely some personal, attitude, or no-heart issues with those players?

Who leaves a sub 25 yr old to whiter on the vine, unless there are some rooted issues?

What he did for the Leafs last season during his brief stint here was not defence. He cost the Leafs at least one goal every single game all by himself. That is shockingly bad. :o

Well, to be fair, the Eric Brewer the Leafs received last year was a disgruntled one.

One who saw his ice time taken from him in TB in favor of younger defensemen with more upside...followed by a trade to the Ducks where it looked like he would get the playtime, did so, then got injured, by the time he got back, his job was, once again, taken by younger defensemen with higher upside...THEN he gets traded to Toronto where really, at his juncture, any sniffings of playoffs are so far away, he may as well retire if his goal was to see the post season once more before he calls it a career.

Not gonna make excuses for Brewer....the reasons both the Lightning and Ducks didn't stick with him were quite valid.

And Brewer, being the seasoned professional and former captain he was, SHOULD have taken the opportunity in Toronto to at least prove his worth, if not to just the Leafs, but to others around the league who may potentially look at him for maybe a one or two year deal while he still has some skill left.

But, like I said....Brewer was bounced around....even in the media, he alluded to the fact he felt he should have had more ice time with the Bolts, more ice time with the Ducks....more of a chance to play and work up to his regular playing speed.....Toronto, being what it was, especially last year (you know, toxic environment, the whole Kessel/Phaneuf sideshow, etc), was simply NOT conducive to a guy trying to get up to NHL speed while overcoming being bounced around and coming back from an injury.

Maybe Brewer never really had anything left.

But whatever little he did have, it sure evaporated with him allowing himself to possibly be caught up in the "Man, what are these teams doing to me" mindset.

Even at over 35 years of age, and right before the Bolts decided to part ways with him, I got to see him play some pretty good defense, move the puck around quite nicely, and be a mentor to younger defensemen.

If he wasn't asked to be a star, he was fine. And many Bolts D-men have already credited him with helping their careers along.

Its just too bad that the last image people will have of Eric Brewer in Toronto was one of a swiss cheese, pylon, who was probably too mad at the NHL world to see past last season...and the possibility of being able to play a season or two more with a contender following that.....HAD he just stayed professional the whole time and just took the trade to Toronto in stride.

Is he any relation to Carl Brewer? Remember him??

I had no idea who Carl Brewer was, so had to look him up.

Before my time I am afraid.

And I see nothing where Eric Brewer is related to him or not.

Hmmm...but you KNOW.....if Eric Brewer somehow were involved in getting Gary Bettmen sent to prison for embezzlement, there COULD be a connection.... ;)

Is he any relation to Carl Brewer? Remember him??

Man, when Carl Brewer made his comeback....I RIPPED on my Leaf fan buddies for years....LOL   Here you have a guy who started in the NHL in 57-58....retires in 71-72....AND then, almost a full decade later, he comes back for the 79-80 season....the sad part, the ol codger was one of their best d-men. Not many people except Gordie Howe played in the 50's...60's....70's and 80's....LMFAO

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=10622

Well, to be fair, the Eric Brewer the Leafs received last year was a disgruntled one.

One who saw his ice time taken from him in TB in favor of younger defensemen with more upside...followed by a trade to the Ducks where it looked like he would get the playtime, did so, then got injured, by the time he got back, his job was, once again, taken by younger defensemen with higher upside...THEN he gets traded to Toronto where really, at his juncture, any sniffings of playoffs are so far away, he may as well retire if his goal was to see the post season once more before he calls it a career.

Not gonna make excuses for Brewer....the reasons both the Lightning and Ducks didn't stick with him were quite valid.

And Brewer, being the seasoned professional and former captain he was, SHOULD have taken the opportunity in Toronto to at least prove his worth, if not to just the Leafs, but to others around the league who may potentially look at him for maybe a one or two year deal while he still has some skill left.

But, like I said....Brewer was bounced around....even in the media, he alluded to the fact he felt he should have had more ice time with the Bolts, more ice time with the Ducks....more of a chance to play and work up to his regular playing speed.....Toronto, being what it was, especially last year (you know, toxic environment, the whole Kessel/Phaneuf sideshow, etc), was simply NOT conducive to a guy trying to get up to NHL speed while overcoming being bounced around and coming back from an injury.

Maybe Brewer never really had anything left.

But whatever little he did have, it sure evaporated with him allowing himself to possibly be caught up in the "Man, what are these teams doing to me" mindset.

Even at over 35 years of age, and right before the Bolts decided to part ways with him, I got to see him play some pretty good defense, move the puck around quite nicely, and be a mentor to younger defensemen.

If he wasn't asked to be a star, he was fine. And many Bolts D-men have already credited him with helping their careers along.

Its just too bad that the last image people will have of Eric Brewer in Toronto was one of a swiss cheese, pylon, who was probably too mad at the NHL world to see past last season...and the possibility of being able to play a season or two more with a contender following that.....HAD he just stayed professional the whole time and just took the trade to Toronto in stride.

Very thorough analysis. Rest assured though, leafs fans are accustomed to seeing players near the end of their career. :)

• 1 month later...

Matt Cooke can still prove to be a valuable asset, particularly during post season...

I wonder what he has been doing all this time while waiting for teams to call.

Even if some team decided to give the ol rat a call for a post season run...would he really be up to game speed?

As a semi-regular during his last days with the Wild, he looked AWFULLY slow then....can only imagine what he looks like now.

I wonder what he has been doing all this time while waiting for teams to call.

Even if some team decided to give the ol rat a call for a post season run...would he really be up to game speed?

As a semi-regular during his last days with the Wild, he looked AWFULLY slow then....can only imagine what he looks like now.

Probably running around the neighborhood, practicing throwing elbows at the temples of unsuspecting old women.

Probably running around the neighborhood, practicing throwing elbows at the temples of unsuspecting old women.

Then when they hit the ground, he stomps on their Achilles with a skate blade.

Archived