My first Flyers game, 31 Years ago today...

Poulin20

davepoulin.jpg

I cant believe that 31 Years ago today I attended my first game.  I was in 3rd grade and was 8 years old.  It was a Sunday night game vs Edmonton.  Oilers were still undefeated at this point in the season and the Flyers were the youngest team in the league.  I had never been to or seen hockey at any level in my life and had no idea what to expect or if I would like it or not.  Truthfully at that time I didn't even care for watching sports.  What I saw that night literally changed me forever.  At 8 years old It was the most exciting event I had ever witnessed in my life.  The play was fast and inspired and the crowd was loud and raucous beyond belief.  I didnt know it at the time but it had the atmosphere of a playoff game.  If it had been another game or another season I may have never taken interest in the Flyers or hockey but because of this single chance snapshot in time  the Flyers have gotten hundreds of games attended out of me and thousands of dollars.  That is pretty good bang for their buck, a single game that led to at least 31 years of loyal fandom.  

Here is the box score followed by the summary of the game that started it all for me...

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?19840150

• November 11, 1984 --The Flyers out-scored the Oilers 4-2 in the third period of a 7-5 home win which ended Edmonton's record-setting unbeaten streak to start an NHL season at 15 games (12-0-3). Philly held a 22-10 shots advantage in the third period and 46-26 in the game. The Flyers scored three times in a span of 2:53 late in the third period and four goals in the final 6:20 to seal the win. Lindsay Carson made it 4-4 with 6:20 left, Mark Howe gave Philly a 5-4 lead with 3:58 to play and Ilkka Sinisalo scored 31 seconds later. Brian Propp (2-1-3) and Dave Poulin (1-2-3) led the offense and Pelle Lindbergh made 21 saves. The Oilers were led by Wayne Gretzky (2-2-4), Jari Kurri (2-0-2) and Andy Moog (39 saves). Kurri's second goal made it 6-5 with 27 seconds to play.

wow that box score takes me back - nice win for Pelle - and I'm glad your first Flyers' game was at the Spectrum! There weren't many rinks like it, for the view and the fan-friendly security (how close to the ice you could get), and for the fans...esp during the POs or whenever the Bruins or the NY teams came to town. And of course whenever 99 graced the Flyers' ice. Man that place could get LOUD! I saw quite a few rock concerts there too and a lot of times Flyers' games were just as loud!

Funny but I can't place - Lindsay Carson at all. Even after reading about the guy I still don't remember him in the O&B. Who the hell did he skate with? Must've been mostly 4th line minutes...?

Lindsay was a speedy gifted skater and was good without the puck, when he had the puck he stickhandled well but had hands of stone when it came to passing and shooting and didnt bury too many.  I do recall that he seemed to have the knack for chipping in timely goals.  I was a 3rd and 4th line LW roleplayer who skated a lot with Dave Brown if I recall correctly. 1984-1985 he got 20 goals which was a high point for him.

Funny but I can't place - Lindsay Carson at all. Even after reading about the guy I still don't remember him in the O&B. Who the hell did he skate with? Must've been mostly 4th line minutes...?

I have a DVD of the game that the Flyers sent me upon my request a few years ago.  Carson was skating with Ron and Rich Sutter in that game.

I have a DVD of the game that the Flyers sent me upon my request a few years ago. Carson was skating with Ron and Rich Sutter in that game.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I don't remember him being a 4th liner.

I have a DVD of the game that the Flyers sent me upon my request a few years ago.  Carson was skating with Ron and Rich Sutter in that game.

Who else would you pair up with someone named Slash & Spear Sutter, but someone named Lindsay? 

Who else would you pair up with someone named Slash & Spear Sutter, but someone named Lindsay? 

They needed someone with a feminine side to make them more well rounded. (apologies to Lindsay as I did like him) 

1st Flyer game was October 22, 1969 at Maple Leaf Gardens. Was hooked on the O&B from the warmups. #16 was a rookie. Flyers beat the Leafs 4-3. Somewhere in a junior rink in Canada is the next #16. This bad patch will pass and the Flyers will win again!

Archived