How good can we be?

BluPuk

Here we are at the end (almost) of the first quarter of the schedule. We are 3 points out of a play off spot, but only 3 points out of a tie for last place overall. A single point or two can be huge at the end of the season.

Can we make the playoffs? I'm not sure we can. I'm also not sure we can't.

How far can great coaching take us? We sure don't have the elite talent we need and we're not likely to get any this season, so systems and hard work are all we have. Is it enough?

All I know is, we've been in every game we played so far this year and I have actually watched whole games from start to finish. I have to admit, I'm lovin' it.

Fingers crossed.....

Here we are at the end (almost) of the first quarter of the schedule. We are 3 points out of a play off spot, but only 3 points out of a tie for last place overall. A single point or two can be huge at the end of the season.

Can we make the playoffs? I'm not sure we can. I'm also not sure we can't.

How far can great coaching take us? We sure don't have the elite talent we need and we're not likely to get any this season, so systems and hard work are all we have. Is it enough?

All I know is, we've been in every game we played so far this year and I have actually watched whole games from start to finish. I have to admit, I'm lovin' it.

Fingers crossed.....

Yeah, it's kind of shocking how quickly the Leafs started playing with a system. Two different head coaches couldn't get this team to play together last year. Babcock is amazing.

:)

I think moving Phil Kessel was a major step in righting the ship for the Leafs. He was the proverbial "round " peg in a square hole.(and getting rounder). Some Leafs fans(not so much on this site) make it very hard to not hate the Leafs. As a Flyer fan, it has been fun over the last few years to at least see them suffer as we have with poor team play. I am hoping, unlike many other fans who are wishing for good draft picks, that the new coach will get them headed in the right direction much the same way that Babcock seems to be doing for the Leafs. Competitive games are much more enjoyable to watch than the product that both our teams have iced for the last few years.........

I think moving Phil Kessel was a major step in righting the ship for the Leafs. He was the proverbial "round " peg in a square hole.(and getting rounder). Some Leafs fans(not so much on this site) make it very hard to not hate the Leafs. As a Flyer fan, it has been fun over the last few years to at least see them suffer as we have with poor team play. I am hoping, unlike many other fans who are wishing for good draft picks, that the new coach will get them headed in the right direction much the same way that Babcock seems to be doing for the Leafs. Competitive games are much more enjoyable to watch than the product that both our teams have iced for the last few years.........

LMAO. Good one. And I sure agree with your last sentence. I'm willing to wait for a contender, but in the meantime, there's no reason we can't compete every game! I have said for years that it IS the coach's job to motivate. It appears that Babcock is doing just that. Is it worth 8 million a year? Yep, you bet it is IMHO.

The Leafs are good enough to take themselves out of the top 10 in the draft, then fail miserably at actually making the playoffs. So, no playoff game, no true superstars left when they are drafting.....yep, sounds just about right!!

I don't want them to finish in the top ten of the draft. They are better than that, and without any 'superstars' on their roster. Just ask the Oilers about 'superstars'. They appear to be headed for yet another first pick, and, they will still be average at best.

These guys (the Leafs) are quickly turning into a hard-working, blue collar group who actually play the game as a team and could very easily finish in the play-offs. Of course only time will tell, but I think this organisation may have finally turned the corner.

I can only surmise that you have not been watching them play.  :)

Congrats to the Leafs on this run they have been on lately.

Some impressive wins in there against Dallas and Smashville too.

Special teams seems to have been the key to the Leafs recent success as the PP has been more than reasonable and the PK has been solid as well.

I still think the Leafs DON'T make the playoffs this year (just too many other viable Eastern teams in the mix...plus a couple who have yet to fully 'wake up') and I think they still give up too many SOG against (that can very easily turn their fortunes around in a hurry!) for them to maintain the kind of pace they will need for the rest of the season to dig themselves out of the Atlantic cellar and the bottom quarter of the East in general.

But hey, if a run like this can give the team a foundation to build upon for tomorrow, then it is a good thing long term for the franchise.

I just can't yet buy into the Leafs being for real this season. From where I sit, as impressive as they have played, right now, it is just a nice run they are on and I expect they will slide back some in short order.

They've got a home and home coming up with Boston, a home game against the Capitals, then a mini run through the Central division on the road (Winnipeg, Minnesota, St. Louis) all on tap.

Let's see what they look like after those games.

Congrats to the Leafs on this run they have been on lately.

No doubt yo! 

I still think the Leafs DON'T make the playoffs this year

Ya gotta be-Leaf yo!

They've got a home and home coming up with Boston, a home game against the Capitals, then a mini run through the Central division on the road (Winnipeg, Minnesota, St. Louis) all on tap.

Let's see what they look like after those games.

6 more flawless victories coming right up yo!  :cool[1]:

Archived