The NHL "sells rivalries and hate"

brelic

Very interesting article on TSN about former players and W5's petition to unseal league emails. It's sounding very similar to the NFL class-action suit over player safety / concussions.

http://www.tsn.ca/former-players-ctv-s-w5-petition-court-to-unseal-secret-nhl-emails-1.402067

This reply by Campbell, to me, sums it up:

Milbury asked Campbell, "Is intent to injure a stand alone call?"
As part of his reply, sent six days after the [Matt Cooke blindside hit on Marc Savard] in a March 13, 2010, email, Campbell wrote: "Let's face it Mike... we sell rivalries, we sell and promote hate...

Every competitive sport does. So what? What team doesn't look at their opponent as the enemy?

I think that's the point. It sounds like former players are arguing that they are selling hate/violence at the players' expense. In other words, decisions are made with that lens in mind.

I think that's the point. It sounds like former players are arguing that they are selling hate/violence at the players' expense. In other words, decisions are made with that lens in mind.

Remove the thought of fierce competition and intense rivalries and half of those same players don't have jobs. Lol

Remove the thought of fierce competition and intense rivalries and half of those same players don't have jobs. Lol

In what sense? Because the popularity would plummet? Or do you mean more in players' motivation?

Personally, I think the word "hate" in conjunction with a mere game (and let's face it, all pro sports, at the end of the day are just that...a mere game) is a bit over the top.

On the other hand, I can see where that word used in conjunction with a rivalry can describe very well the competitive flow of a matchup.

And perhaps on a few occasions, there really ARE guys on one team that truly hate guys on the other.

And I can see why the NHL (or any league for that matter) would like to capitalize on that.....league is in the business of attracting viewers and making money after all.

Finally, I'd be lying if I said that I am not interested in a particular match up in the NHL because of potential 'bad blood' brewing or carrying over from a previous match up between two teams.

There are simply some games I see on the Bolts or Wild schedule that I make a point to either go see live or watch start to finish on TV because of the extra layer of dislike (or 'hate' if you will) between the two teams.

Remove that part of it, and the match up may become just another game or even, a lackluster one with both sides showing little to no emotion (translation: boring to the fan) during the contest.

As long as the NHL, or any pro league sells the "hate" in the context of competition and really wanting to defeat the other team (a little sprinkle of personal dislike is ok too), then its all good, IMO.

I just don't want to hear about stupid things like players doing stuff to each other either off camera, on the streets, or in the case of John Tortorella or any other coaches, attempt an assassination of the opposing coach in the arena! ;)

THAT, for sure would be a bad thing to sell...ya know? :D

I call it "sports hate"...it's not real hate in that, i don't sit around thinking up awful stuff to do the NY Rangers when I have a free moment.

In reality i would walk across the street to pee on the Pgh Penguins if they were on fire. 

I do hate crab grass and do think about how to eradicate it from my yard in my spare time.  

but the sports hate is fun and allows for literary flourishes of cuss and multisyllabic words strung together to create fun little diddy's about hating a team with the fire of a million supernova's 

I call it "sports hate"...it's not real hate in that, i don't sit around thinking up awful stuff to do the NY Rangers when I have a free moment.

In reality i would walk across the street to pee on the Pgh Penguins if they were on fire. 

I do hate crab grass and do think about how to eradicate it from my yard in my spare time.  

but the sports hate is fun and allows for literary flourishes of cuss and multisyllabic words strung together to create fun little diddy's about hating a team with the fire of a million supernova's 

crab grass.....**shudder**  :P

@brelic

I remember reading an essay a number of years ago that talked about how top level sports fill the same need for us as does combat and war. I'm not sure I agree with the statement, but it is an interesting take on the subject. The essay focused primarily on the Olympics, but it could easily be applied to modern professional sports leagues.

Essentially, the writer spoke of sports in very much this same way: They promote hate and rivalry. To him, those tendencies are very human and need to be harnessed. By doing so through sport affiliations -- whether national in the case of the Olympics, or more constructed as would be the case for something like the NHL -- it allows us to find an outlet that is not as violent or dangerous as the alternative.

Again, I'm really not sure I agree with the premise. It seems overly simplistic to me, but it's an interesting point.

My take on the TSN article is not so much about the NHL selling rivalries and hate. I understand that, and it is human nature to want to see your side win. Like @elmatus points out, there is definitely something to the war and combat angle. It's pretty common in combat to dehumanize the opponent to make it easier for you to to do things you wouldn't normally do to another human being. Like killing. Or in hockey, taking headshots and hitting to hurt.

For me, the article just pointed out that the guys who run the show are from a bygone era of hockey before the dangers of hits to the head were really understood, and how that can affect your entire life long after you've left the game. It points out the asymmetric nature of supplemental discipline based on more than just "what's good for players." There are strong personalities at play with biases that might not sit comfortably in today's environment.

It's one thing to knowingly play a sport (or do a job) that can be dangerous to your health. Players assume those risks, just like a miner, construction worker, acrobat, electrician, and so on. But the crux of the argument, as I read between the lines, is whether or not some of those dangers are not fully disclosed or minimized in the name of generating more revenue.

Archived