What will the NHL look like in 2020?

RJ8812

Thanks for sharing.  I think the Euro team possibility is interesting. Fans might like an excuse for heading to Berlin or London.  I have to wonder if we will see more NFL style contracts with guaranteed money but a portion that can be cut off via option or some other mechanism. 

Howie

Thanks for sharing. I think the Euro team possibility is interesting. Fans might like an excuse for heading to Berlin or London. I have to wonder if we will see more NFL style contracts with guaranteed money but a portion that can be cut off via option or some other mechanism.

Howie

The NFL does contracts right. Guaranteed money that counts against the cap for more than half of an athlete's entire career ruins 3 of the 4 sports. I've seen it time and time again, a player comes into the league, plays with his hair on fire for 3 years, gets an 8 year deal, and becomes a completely different player.

Contracts should be incentive based. If the flyers had some incentives in VLC's contract, do you think he would give his minimum effort when he gets on the ice?

Weather a player thinks that way or not, I think it's only human nature to relax and not push as hard once you have guaranteed money for the rest of your life. I think there should be a base salary and incentives for every aspect of the game (goals, assists, points, games played, +/-, and so on). The problem is that the NHLPA or any other PA would never agree to that.

@icehole

I like that idea quite a lot. I'm sure the league has pushed for it. More than likely the NHLPA shoots it down every CBA. Maybe in the next one.

If the flyers had some incentives in VLC's contract, do you think he would give his minimum effort when he gets on the ice?

I actually think VLC probably does try his best when he gets ice time. I just don't think he's an effective player anymore.

I think there should be a base salary and incentives for every aspect of the game (goals, assists, points, games played, +/-, and so on). The problem is that the NHLPA or any other PA would never agree to that.

I love the idea, but the devil is in the details.

There are legitimate worries that a franchise might make a decision not to play a player in a situation where he might be in line for an increase in salary under an incentive.

Spitballing here, but say a team is out of the playoff chase and a player is on the verge of hitting an incentive that would cost the team a significant sum. So they decide not to play the player.

The idea that players might "coast" under guaranteed contracts is not out of the realm of possibility - I've referenced the worry on several occasions myself.

But there is also the very real possibility that a franchise might "coast" to save money.

And then we come to the discussion of how all this plays into the owners' precious salary cap...

I love the idea, but the devil is in the details.

There are legitimate worries that a franchise might make a decision not to play a player in a situation where he might be in line for an increase in salary under an incentive.

Spitballing here, but say a team is out of the playoff chase and a player is on the verge of hitting an incentive that would cost the team a significant sum. So they decide not to play the player.

The idea that players might "coast" under guaranteed contracts is not out of the realm of possibility - I've referenced the worry on several occasions myself.

But there is also the very real possibility that a franchise might "coast" to save money.

And then we come to the discussion of how all this plays into the owners' precious salary cap...

That's a legitimate concern and that does happen in baseball. I think it was just this season that the phillies benched utley because they didnt want him to get to a certain number of at bats.

If it gets to the point where they are benching a player in hopes that he doesnt reach his incentives, either the team is toast or that player isnt worth a damn. Thats sucks for the player but that really wouldnt hurt the fan.

If it gets to the point where they are benching a player in hopes that he doesnt reach his incentives, either the team is toast or that player isnt worth a damn. Thats sucks for the player but that really wouldnt hurt the fan.

But it does hurt the player - which is a primary reason a player's union would oppose it.

For that matter, I could also see a team that had clinched a playoff position/home ice taking this route as well. They don't necessarily have to be "toast."

What makes you think anything these sports do has to do with the "fan"? :cool[1]:

Howdy:

Someone remind me but I think arbitration could go both ways in pre-2004-05 NHL days.  Teams could ask to cut salary if performance was below historical norms.  I am not even sure how they work arbitration anymore.

Peace,

Howie

Archived