Game #35 - Flyers at Ducks - Dec 27 2015 - 8:00 ET

brelic

Meltzer's writeup: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-122715--ANA/45/73528

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.15 (29th), Ducks 1.85 (30th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.62 (18th), Ducks 2.55 (17th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 46/52, Ducks 39/57
Power play efficiency: Flyers 16.3% (26th), Ducks 15.7% (28th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 80.2% (17th), Ducks 87.7% (1st)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.5 (T-7th), Ducks 29.3 (T-18th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.5 (29th), Ducks 28.1 (4th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 49.7% (19th), Ducks 51.5% (3rd)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 10 Brayden Schenn
93 Jakub Voracek - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas 
55 Nick Schultz - 82 Evgeny Medvedev 
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), Brandon Manning (healthy), Sam Gagner (healthy), Mark Streit (LTIR, displaced pubic plate).

Ducks

67 Rickard Rakell - 15 Ryan Getzlaf - 10 Corey Perry
26 Carl Hagelin - 17 Ryan Kesler - 7 Andrew Cogliano
19 Patrick Maroon - 22 Shawn Horcoff - 33 Jakob Silfverberg
46 Jiri Sekac - 44 Nate Thompson - 25 Mike Santorelli

4 Cam Fowler - 2 Kevin Bieksa
47 Hampus Lindholm - 42 Josh Manson
3 Clayton Stoner - 45 Sami Vatanen

31 Frederik Andersen / 36 John Gibson

Scratches: Chris Stewart (healthy scratch last game), Korbinian Holzer (healthy), Simon Despres (concussion).

I hope that the game is better than the national anthem...sheesh...i thought I heard some cats meowing in the background!  I'm not sure what song that was but it certainly didnt sound like the Star Spangled Banner!

Why does this team play so shitty against shitty teams?

Their PP suck, but they score 2 PP goals
Their offense sucks, but they score 4 goals
Getzlaf doesn't have a single non-EN goal, he scores tonight

still losing every board/puck battle 
completely outshot
dominated on the faceoff 

Howdy:

This was not a good effort.  But this is the kind of Mason night that worries me.  There are brilliant saves followed by garbage goals.  Medvedev looked spaced and out of place.  You hate to see them squander a lead to boot.

Howie

Wow who would have thought that the game could be worse than that rendition of the National Anthem??   I bet @AndyS was at this game, poor guy having to sit through that dumpster fire!

Why is it that EVERY year this team comes out of any break sleepwalking??  I am so fed up with this.  You can set your watch by it just like a Flyers S/O loss.

I agree with @Howie58 I get very worried when I see Mason play games like this.  I love the guy but it makes me want to see Neuvirth out there again.

All teams will have clunker from time to time. Agreed with Poulin RE: post-break funk.  But this game highlighted the lack of scoring depth. And...this was not Giroux's night at faceoffs. The Anaheim announcer noted 11 in a row to Getzlaff versus G.  

I suspect Neuvirth is the next starter.  And I hope MDZ is back soon.  

Howie

Howdy:

This was not a good effort. But this is the kind of Mason night that worries me. There are brilliant saves followed by garbage goals. Medvedev looked spaced and out of place. You hate to see them squander a lead to boot.

Howie

I agree. This is two games in a row that he lets a weak shot go 5-hole. The closeup against the blues showed that it probably could have gone another 6 inches east or west and still made it through the 5-hole. Is that Bryz out there?

Ding, Ding, Ding....we have a winner.

Nice call.

So since it seems you have all the answers and i didn't see the game, worked till 7 and went out afterwards to celebrate my wife's birthday...why the no call for interference on Ghost by Horcoff if he had been called he couldn't have scored the shortie...i mean yes Mason could/should have stopped that weak one but there should have been an interference call.

And for the record i wasn't expecting them to win against a team who has been struggling and they were coming off a break i was almost expecting them to get shutout...so at least they scored 2.

It might be time to put Neuvy back in net so they can get on a roll.

All teams will have clunker from time to time. Agreed with Poulin RE: post-break funk.  But this game highlighted the lack of scoring depth. And...this was not Giroux's night at faceoffs. The Anaheim announcer noted 11 in a row to Getzlaff versus G.  

I suspect Neuvirth is the next starter.  And I hope MDZ is back soon.  

Howie

Howdy:

It's a rehash of 2015-16 Flyer reality: If we don't get stellar goalkeeping and clog middle-ice, it's a likely loss. I hope Mason proves Mike Milbury wrong but his analyst's assessment a few months ago was what we've seen this year--excellent play within and between games and confidence-deflating goals along the way.

Howie 

Howdy:

It's a rehash of 2015-16 Flyer reality: If we don't get stellar goalkeeping and clog middle-ice, it's a likely loss. I hope Mason proves Mike Milbury wrong but his analyst's assessment a few months ago was what we've seen this year--excellent play within and between games and confidence-deflating goals along the way.

Howie 

Yes that is why i say we hold onto Neuvy....he is insurance...they are the same age. If Mase starts slippin sit his ass. I know there were some rattlin about trading him...but they need him so it would have to be an outrageous deal to move him.

I liking having goaltending.

It's always good to have an in case of emergency type of guy...and he filled that well better than any i've seen in my Flyer lifetime.

Occam:

2016-17 is the last year on Mase's contract.  I'd say it will be the rubber match. If next year is like his initial stint or last year, he'd be re-signed. If it is this year's version--doubt it.

It's funny--Mason's save percentage has been much better here than in Columbus.  And he seems less injury-prone than Bobo.  But consistency is an issue.

Howie

Occam:

2016-17 is the last year on Mase's contract.  I'd say it will be the rubber match. If next year is like his initial stint or last year, he'd be re-signed. If it is this year's version--doubt it.

It's funny--Mason's save percentage has been much better here than in Columbus.  And he seems less injury-prone than Bobo.  But consistency is an issue.

Howie

Yes he could fetch a nice return.

Archived