Ivan Provorov

flyercanuck

This kid is looking like an absolute stud out there for Russia. He's just really good at every aspect of the game. He's made a few nice rushes with the puck that made the highlight reels, but that's really not his forte'. He may not have the wow factor that some other Dmen have. But he is just sooo good without the puck. This guy is relentless along the boards and in front of the net. 

I'm really glad Philly took him in the draft. Some might have thought Werenski was a better choice. At this point no one knows for sure. But I think Werenski ends up more along the Letang/Green lines...lots of flash, plenty of highlights on the sports channels,... and plenty of goals against like Russias winner where he was just plain bad defensively. I think we already have that in MDZ/Ghost/Sanheim. I think Provorov is much more like Duncan Keith...maybe not so many flashy plays, just steady and so smart. And a nice mix to go along with the offensively minded guys and Morin who should be our defensive beast. 

FC, 

I was watching also w/ my son... before even knowing Prov was playing my kid was asking who he was.  I was delighted to say he belongs to the Flyers.   Watching him play is pretty exciting and he really excels in every facet of the game.  He does everything really well, and as you said, his smarts are off the charts.   He actually makes it look easy out there.   I know it is early but this kid is one heck of a player...

He and Sanheim on the back-end in a few years is going to be special.

The kid really is the real deal. I'm starting to rethink my stragety in fantasy hockey. Ghost looks so natural back there on the point on the pp. but really, only two of them can be back there, Provs, Ghost and Sanheim all seem to be very proficient at pp qb....obviously a good problem to have, but who ends up on the pp eventually with those 3 studs vying for 2 spots. ...and....will one of them be ok with not being back there with the extra man advantage.

I slept all day, had to back to my work schedule for tomorrow night, so about to spend a few hours just watching Provs....can't wait, does not matter that I know the outcome!!

WOW, both of these coaches switched goalies, both kids who won the Semi finals games are on the bench?  Man, that takes some balls. In the case of Samsonov, the Russian 1st round pick of the Captaitals, he may have been slightly injured in the Semi, but as Ray Ferraro said, you could probably never get to the bottom of why Finland went with this goalie...probably just pure gut instinct by the coach.

Hah, 5 minutes in and Provs puts it right in Kamenev's wheel house...perfect pass and Russians score on literally their first shot of the game. More importantly, just seconds before entering the zone, there was a small chance that Finland could have stolen the puck on the pk at center ice, Ivan covered that, stopped dead in his tracks and made sure the Russians gained entry to the Fins zone. You can't teach that, anticipating and guarding against the worst case scenario....it's like having a coach on the ice, his thinking process is quite amazing.

A game of inches, so little separating these two great teams, one wonders if things would have been much different in this game if Svetlakov (sp) didn't ring it off the post in his fine pk rush. That could have been a very deflating moment for the Fins.

Provorov is that rare breed of defenseman who can just single handedly take over a game. Duncan Keith is a good comparison, but honestly, and I know several scouts have made the comparison, Provorov really is a Ray Bourque type of defender. He's going to be so good when he arrives in Philadelphia. I get that they'll play him minimal minutes at first, but by 20 games in, he'll be leading the team in ice time. I normally don't agree with Craig Button on many things, but he hit it right on the head with Provorov. He's the best defender out of his draft and it's not close. 

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Provorov is that rare breed of defenseman who can just single handedly take over a game. Duncan Keith is a good comparison, but honestly, and I know several scouts have made the comparison, Provorov really is a Ray Bourque type of defender. He's going to be so good when he arrives in Philadelphia. I get that they'll play him minimal minutes at first, but by 20 games in, he'll be leading the team in ice time. I normally don't agree with Craig Button on many things, but he hit it right on the head with Provorov. He's the best defender out of his draft and it's not close. 

Yeah, totally agree, and as fc alluded to, I LOVE the idea that he is defense first. So tough and gritty in the corners, it's rare to see this type of offensive talent that can knock out a opposing forward with a devastating hit. Can you imagine how tense it was for the Flyers, they knew what we now know.....they must have been SO worried that someone would steal him before #7....or somebody makes a play to move up and grab him at #5 and 6. To say this kid is a cornerstone is not even covering it. If the Flyers marketing dept was smart, they would go ahead and assure us all of what number Prov's would be wearing...so we can all go get his jersey and just get it out of the way. I know I will own one, just waiting for assurance on the actual number. The last time I was this excited about a prospect, #88 was smashing heads.

Another kid I've been super impressed with is Laine on Finland. I can't really find a hole in his game. He just might be in the Flyers wheel house, with the other 2 Fins ranked in the top 5.

7 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Yeah, totally agree, and as fc alluded to, I LOVE the idea that he is defense first. So tough and gritty in the corners, it's rare to see this type of offensive talent that can knock out a opposing forward with a devastating hit. Can you imagine how tense it was for the Flyers, they knew what we now know.....they must have been SO worried that someone would steal him before #7....or somebody makes a play to move up and grab him at #5 and 6. To say this kid is a cornerstone is not even covering it. If the Flyers marketing dept was smart, they would go ahead and assure us all of what number Prov's would be wearing...so we can all go get his jersey and just get it out of the way. I know I will own one, just waiting for assurance on the actual number. The last time I was this excited about a prospect, #88 was smashing heads.

I'll admit, I'm looking forward to when that Flyers blueline matures and we see Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Gostisbehere and Hagg all on the roster. That's a scary five some to face and if Del Zotto is the veteran they keep going forward, it's just going to be pure hell to play against. 

As for the last prospect that I was excited about, that would have been Giroux. When the Flyers drafted him, I was at work and yelled out YES in the middle of the operations department. I knew the kid was going to be a star because he had this will and desire to be the best and would do anything to be a hockey player. On top of it, his hands were on display and nobody from his draft year has hands quite like him. He was also a tough kid who could just take a pounding and nothing would stop him. 

Having the ability to slow the game down, I will pass on a little intricacy of the game. Every defenseman usually has a weak point on the dump in, they either are more adept at handling the puck on their forehand or backhand. Opposing coaches will study this and instruct forwards to throw the puck to one side or the other, effectively forcing the d-man to handle the puck on his weak preference....thus leaving him more susceptible to a forecheck and turnover. Provs has no such weakness, he is super proficient on the forehand and the backhand...and I know from years of watching this, it is a rare talent indeed. It's one of the first thing I look for.

Archived