Flyer 2016 trade options....

OccamsRazor

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, radoran said:

VLC'S contract was always moveable. All it took was keeping half of it and dealing a starting player.

Prongers's contract was always moveable, especially when it got to a $550k payment on a $5M cap hit. And all it took was dealing a starting player and retaining money on their salary.

Sure - except there's always someone saying it isn't moveable...until it is.

Gretzky isn't even comparable. No one says Streit is "untouchable" - far from it as they likely would LOVE to deal him.

The only comparison I'm trying to make with Gretzky is - in trade discussions you will get people saying so and so is untouchable. If Gretzky and Orr can be traded...anyone can.

What I've seen most people saying is that the return might not be what some have postulated, especially with his post-injury play.

Again, he IS dealable and there MAY be a nice return. But I don't think anyone should be surprised if he's still here after the deadline or if the return isn't on the Coburn/Timonen level. And those are the comparisons being frequently made.

I agree. Streit isn't Coburn. Or Timonen. But a year ago people were saying there was NO way we'd get a 1st for Coburn and that Timonen was damaged goods therefore not much value. 1-1st 2-2nds 1-3rd and Gudas later, I'd say we did quite well. And I also won't be surprised if someone overpays for Streit. Welcome to the trade deadline. 

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree. Streit isn't Coburn. Or Timonen. But a year ago people were saying there was NO way we'd get a 1st for Coburn and that Timonen was damaged goods therefore not much value. 1-1st 2-2nds 1-3rd and Gudas later, I'd say we did quite well. And I also won't be surprised if someone overpays for Streit. Welcome to the trade deadline. 

We've been over this before, but just because we like Heffalump Hunts...

TImonen was dealt for a 2nd and a conditional 4th. The 4th became a second because the Hawks won the Cup. Timonen was also a "true rental" with an expiring contract that was half as large as Streit's.

Again, I'm pretty sure you can get a deal for Streit, especially one involving conditional picks. They certainly can't retain salary at this point because they've already done that three times to get rid of "bad" contracts.

Were there people saying Coburn was "untradeable"? Sure. And there were people that were saying that he had significant value. And he did. But a healthy 30-year-old defenseman with a year on the deal is a lot different than a 38-year-old coming off injury with a year on the deal.

And "untradeable" in that situation is much different than Gretzky where he was "untouchable" because it was assumed the team would be crazy to deal him...

It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone overpaid for Streit. As I've said many times - if the right situation (a team "in need") develops. (Streit also has to have that team on his approved trade list or approve the deal)

It also wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get dealt until July - when the Flyers will have essentially "retained salary" by paying the signing bonus and can retain cap space.

It also wouldn't surprise me if he plays for the Flyers next season.

As for the Islanders, they've got $20+M already wrapped up in six defencemen for next season...

(and - wow - on another completely unrelated note, they're still paying DiPietro $4.5M a year through 20-21(!!!!!))

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Again, he IS dealable and there MAY be a nice return.

I would take a 2nd round draft pick and run for the hills in elation.....we'll see he has 12 days to show he can help someone...i hope he can and i'm wrong even i would be exsatic to get a 1st.......but could see more like a 2nd.......and more than anything him still being here till his bonus is paid out...

I think the main question right now is: "who needs to acquire an offensive defenseman to make their playoff run?"

A corollary to that: "would the Flyers deal him to a team that they are competing with for a potential playoff spot?"

Five points behind Jersey with two games in hand is certainly not "out of it"

18 minutes ago, radoran said:

"would the Flyers deal him to a team that they are competing with for a potential playoff spot?"

I'm looking at Arizona out west fighting for that last wildcard spot with the Avs and Preds and while we're at the Avs could use the help out in that area too....damn Avs have 27 mill in cap space.....wow....how in the hell is that possible?? How about flip him for the disappointing Zadorov who is in the AHL....hell i'd take that and walk away.

Plus Avs only have 4 guys under contract for next year....so he could fit.

Anyone is tradable, it's just finding the right trade partner to fit the numbers in under the cap and being able to sell the player.

I could see Streit going to Arizona.  They have more than enough cap space (Grossman will be coming off the books next year as well) and with Streit getting paid $4 million but having a $5.25 cap hit, they are gaining $1.25 in cap space without shelling out the dollars.  The Coyotes will have 2 1st round picks this year assuming the Rangers make the playoffs so might be willing to part with a 2nd.

How about Medvedev to the Preds?  They have plenty of cap space and traded away Seth Jones for some more offensive help which left them a little thin on the back end and could use someone with experience (although it is in a different league).  I could see him fetching a 2nd or a package along the lines of a 3rd this year and 3rd next year.

This would give us a total of 4 2nd round picks which we could use to trade up in the 1st or into the 1st, use them on maybe some higher risk/reward types, or even trade back or straight up for picks next year. 

56 minutes ago, peter puck said:

If Boedker doesn't want to resign in Arizona.

Offer up Streit,Manning and a prospect 

I'd do that is a heartbeat.....but who is the prospect....that could make it a no go for me....i'd flip them Straka since he'll never get a shot on the Flyers anyways....

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm looking at Arizona out west fighting for that last wildcard spot with the Avs and Preds and while we're at the Avs could use the help out in that area too....damn Avs have 27 mill in cap space.....wow....how in the hell is that possible?? How about flip him for the disappointing Zadorov who is in the AHL....hell i'd take that and walk away.

Plus Avs only have 4 guys under contract for next year....so he could fit.

With regards to the Avs, a bunch of my friends are Avs fans and they love what Sakic and Roy are doing with Zadorov by having him play in the AHL. Many feel that Buffalo had him playing in the NHL way too soon and that his confidence was a little frazzled. Zadorov has actually played quite well for San Antonio (second in defensemen in scoring) and when you add in the size plus the fact he's a got a nasty streak, it's going to be extremely tough to find a way to get Zadorov. 

At this point I'm perfectly content with just getting Streit's cap space off the books. I don't think he's a fit for what Hakstol is doing and with the system the Bruins play, I really do think that he'd be a great fit there, just like what the Fansided article mentioned. If the Flyers don't get a first out of Streit, not the end of the world. If they can walk away with a prospect like Seth Griffith or Alex Khoklachev, I'd be fine with that as well.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd do that is a heartbeat.....but who is the prospect....that could make it a no go for me....i'd flip them Straka since he'll never get a shot on the Flyers anyways....

Since we are spitballing here.......Streit,Laughton,Manning and Bardreau for Boedker and a first.

18 hours ago, peter puck said:

I'd be marginally hesitant. That dude has yet to learn that the ice surface is 200 ft. From what I saw he only plays one zone. Then again imagine him Giroux and Voracek on a line? That would be scary. Just need him to help out on the back end. 

3 hours ago, Bertmega said:

I'd be marginally hesitant. That dude has yet to learn that the ice surface is 200 ft. From what I saw he only plays one zone. Then again imagine him Giroux and Voracek on a line? That would be scary. Just need him to help out on the back end. 

Well let's say can agree to disagree. From the games i have seen he has back checked in it. In fact i couldn't see Dave Tippett keeping a forward around who didn't play a 200 ft game....the main reseason they shipped Gagner off becuase he didn't play a 200 foot game.

I'm not saying he is the best forward on the Yotes to play both ends but i have seen him do it. In fact if he didn't fit this past summer when they signed a 1 year deal was the best time to move on from and collect a decent return.

So i'd take him on the Flyers in a heartbeat. G and Jake would love to have a winger like him on the LW.

35 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well let's say can agree to disagree. From the games i have seen he has back checked in it. In fact i couldn't see Dave Tippett keeping a forward around who didn't play a 200 ft game....the main reseason they shipped Gagner off becuase he didn't play a 200 foot game.

I'm not saying he is the best forward on the Yotes to play both ends but i have seen him do it. In fact if he didn't fit this past summer when they signed a 1 year deal was the best time to move on from and collect a decent return.

So i'd take him on the Flyers in a heartbeat. G and Jake would love to have a winger like him on the LW.

I would like him in the O&B too if it meant shipping out some dead weight. I guess I wasn't fair in my assessment as I have only seen him in a handful of games. 

I will say he looks to be able to finish which is something that the G lines needs.

I do fear that he is going to look for a payday with his next contract though. 

9 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

I would like him in the O&B too if it meant shipping out some dead weight. I guess I wasn't fair in my assessment as I have only seen him in a handful of games. 

I will say he looks to be able to finish which is something that the G lines needs.

I do fear that he is going to look for a payday with his next contract though. 

You could be right about the payday...and if that is he case...i'm sure maybe the Flyers would pass. But man i'd hate to pass on a LW who is right at the same age as G and Jake and they could play together for the next 4 to 5 years.

But i also see the other side of the dice you roll in paying that much for that long and he has never even played with the 2. That is why i'd be interested in trading for him so you could get a look for the remainder of the year.

But i wouldn't want it to be a Mcdud situation where they gave up something for him now they feel obligated to sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal.

No if he don't fit or look good walk away or try to trade his rights at he near end of the season. It is a gamble but everything worth having always is.

Do your homework to prevent it as much as you can.

22 hours ago, peter puck said:

That's a hell of a lot to give up for a pending UFA (ditto adding Laughton, even getting a 1st back in the deal) when you're not looking likely to make the playoffs. I also don't see Streit as a likely fit for Arizona. Streit's the epitome of a "now" move, and Arizona isn't quite a "now" franchise, and probably still won't be in Streit's (likely) last year in the NHL.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

That's a hell of a lot to give up for a pending UFA (ditto adding Laughton, even getting a 1st back in the deal) when you're not looking likely to make the playoffs. I also don't see Streit as a likely fit for Arizona. Streit's the epitome of a "now" move, and Arizona isn't quite a "now" franchise, and probably still won't be in Streit's (likely) last year in the NHL.

I agree sort of i mean Streit would be used as a vet on the blueline and more than anything help them get to the floor type of move i mean they did take on Pronger's deal.

Sure it's a reach more than anything considering how unimpressive he has looked it is why you'd have to sweeten it a little maybe give them a LW prospect in return...say Fazleev maybe more of using him as an example. You have to pay to play though.

53 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Bardreau,a broken neck and two knee injuries,manning,well enough said,Streit a shell of himself. Laughton is the only thing we're giving up here. Streit is not the epitome" now"move as he's has another year left. Kimo was the epitome of a "now" trade.

Im looking at it in the sense he will help Arizona when it comes to the cap floor. Cap hit 5.25 actual money 4

Laughton hasn't shown me anything all that special. In fact I can't remember a game where I've said we sure could have used Scott Laughton.

im basically trying to get somebody to take my garbage.. Streit ,Manning .......in order to do that you have to give up something.

We are not talking Holmgenius here Hextall will have a good idea what Boedker wants for how long before he pulls the trigger.

But you're trading assets for an unrestricted free agent. When you are currently on the outside looking in on the playoffs, missing your #2 center and #1 defenseman (And offering up your #3 and #6). An unrestricted free agent who may or may not sign with the Flyers in the offseason. You are thereby committing yourself to signing him for whatever it takes to justify the three (or four) players you gave up for him (See: MacDonald, Andrew). And what if he has his heart set on playing in Detroit? Or LA? or anywhere other than Philadelphia (See: Hamhuis, Dan)? You just gave up 2-3 players that may have value elsewhere for what, 20 games of Mikkel Boedker? Didn't we just wake up from this nightmare? I'd rather trade Streit straight up for a 3rd, or hold him until next year's deadline, than send him away for any UFA to be.

29 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

But you're trading assets for an unrestricted free agent. When you are currently on the outside looking in on the playoffs, missing your #2 center and #1 defenseman (And offering up your #3 and #6). An unrestricted free agent who may or may not sign with the Flyers in the offseason. You are thereby committing yourself to signing him for whatever it takes to justify the three (or four) players you gave up for him (See: MacDonald, Andrew). And what if he has his heart set on playing in Detroit? Or LA? or anywhere other than Philadelphia (See: Hamhuis, Dan)? You just gave up 2-3 players that may have value elsewhere for what, 20 games of Mikkel Boedker? Didn't we just wake up from this nightmare? I'd rather trade Streit straight up for a 3rd, or hold him until next year's deadline, than send him away for any UFA to be.

Please re read the last line of my reply to you. I'm not committing anything until I have an idea want he wants.

MacDonald was not a very well thought out move by Holmgenius as he knew he turned down 4 for four already.Hamhuis publicly stated prior to being traded where he wanted to play Holmgenius didn't want to listen in fact neither did the Pens. All Hextall has to do is ask if he's willing to play for him and if he can contact his agent for terms before he's agrees to the trade. I do believe teams are allowed to give agents the right to seek a trade(See: VLC). If Hexy does his due diligence theres no nightmare here to wake up from.

Why would Arizona agree to let teams talk to Boedker? If they want to trade him, he'll be in demand (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Dallas are all names floating around out there). He's not a problem child that both parties want to have a change of scenery, he's just a pending UFA. They get traded at the deadline to the highest bidder all the time without the team dealing for the player speaking to him. Arizona would run a serious risk of his value dropping if he agrees to terms with any particular team as the deadline approaches.

Archived