Shootout Observation from the Flyers/Rangers game

PhilsFanDrew

I know earlier in the year the Flyers were able to win a shootout at home against the Rangers and both Gagner and Giroux scored on Lundqvist using a lot of dekes.  Once again today both tried trying to beat him with a lot of deking and both were unsuccessful.  It seems like so many of our shooters in shootouts rely on deking and deception to try make the goalies commit rather than occasionally trying to skate it wider and playing an angle trying to beat the goalie with a quick shot.  While Giroux has had some success in shootouts I think he would have a lot more if he skated a bit wider and weaved in and out a little more.  Most of his shootout attempts he skates in pretty straight on right at the goalies and relies just on his fast hands to put a deke on them almost always shooting the puck in very tight.  I have to think a lot of goalies have picked up on this teams tendencies in the shootouts yet our guys keep going back to that same well.  

I think Mason should stay very deep in net and toward the end pan in toward skater and use his big frame to stifle the shot and cause the shooter to be smothered at the same time aggressively poke checking with the paddle down. I've seen Lundquest do this in the past and it's a psychological and physiological "handcuffing" of the shooter's attempt.

12 hours ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

I know earlier in the year the Flyers were able to win a shootout at home against the Rangers and both Gagner and Giroux scored on Lundqvist using a lot of dekes.  Once again today both tried trying to beat him with a lot of deking and both were unsuccessful.  It seems like so many of our shooters in shootouts rely on deking and deception to try make the goalies commit rather than occasionally trying to skate it wider and playing an angle trying to beat the goalie with a quick shot.  While Giroux has had some success in shootouts I think he would have a lot more if he skated a bit wider and weaved in and out a little more.  Most of his shootout attempts he skates in pretty straight on right at the goalies and relies just on his fast hands to put a deke on them almost always shooting the puck in very tight.  I have to think a lot of goalies have picked up on this teams tendencies in the shootouts yet our guys keep going back to that same well.  

Last night the problem was that everyone's moves were too slow.  Period.  They were gassed. 

Doesnt bode ode well for 17 minutes from now.  

There are scouting reports that tell you how to beat a goalie in most situations.  If they don't study them, then they're idiots. 

I I don't get them anymore, but I will see what they say in Henrik and shootouts. 

On 2/7/2016 at 11:31 PM, PhilsFanDrew said:

I've said this for a while now.  The most successful shootout teams have guys who can pick corners with a quick wrist shot...not guys who dangle the goalie out of his skates.

The flyers have two guys that can dangle (giroux and gagne) and that's about it.  They aren't built for shootouts...they're built for getting traffic in front of the net and nice good passing plays.  Giroux can pick the corners too but he chooses not to take a quick wrist shot for some reason.

Well from the play i've seen they always seem to forget one of the biggest element that this skillz competitions is meant to relicate....the break away...

...so if they would remember that and maybe even pretend they are being chased from behind and actually come down with some blazing speed which also gives the goalie less time to figure out what the f**k you're about to try to do....maybe they could/would be able to pull off more of their moves....

....but they never come down with any damn speed they will take it out wide and try to get the goaltender to move laterally but they never ever use the speed element to game anymore if anything they slow things down which work in the goaltenders favor.

I have to believe that after 10 years, four coaches, and God knows how much practice, we are getting an interesting read on one of two things (or both): Either we don't do much to read about opposing goalies; or the players we draft and trade for are mucker-grinders who can't score in the one on one. 

Howie

On 2/8/2016 at 10:47 PM, Cheesesteak said:

My observation after the shootout....they SUCK at shootouts.

thank you.............

?format=1000w

P.S. This was meant to be humorous as I found myself palming my forehead like how could I have missed that......

Archived