Lucky Ladd! Back to Chicago

yave1964

Stan Bowman pulled off a coup getting Andrew Andrew Ladd - Northwest Athlete Profiles, Winnipeg Jets, Maple Ridge ...ladd and Defenseman Jay Harrison from the Jets for a package including Marko Dano. The Jets also get a conditional pick which will likely be a late first rounder.

Wow. That is all I have to say is wow.

This is the deal the Hawks absolutely needed to make with the West tightening up and Kane slowing down. Ladd brings scoring and leadership back to Chicago.

Dano is with his third organization in less than a year, not certain why he hasnt clicked he has talent but it hasnt translated.

Chicago has had zero, I mean zero depth among the forwards, losing Hossa who was playing lousy anyway was crippling. Huge statement move for all the haters out there who said the Hawks would suck this year, number one they dont, and number two they just got massively better.

But a first and a solid prospect is a good return, Ladd will be an UFA and the Hawks will be unable to retain him while Dano could be a middle six forward for a decade.

Hossa is signed for 5 more years at age 37. oh my.  :confused[1]:

This is a great signing by the Hawks, it will put them again right in contention to defend the cup.  It will be better for them if they can find a way to put Hossa on the LTIR  for the remaining years of his contract and manage to find a way to sign Ladd next year.

15 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Hossa is signed for 5 more years at age 37. oh my.  :confused[1]:

This is a great signing by the Hawks, it will put them again right in contention to defend the cup.  It will be better for them if they can find a way to put Hossa on the LTIR  for the remaining years of his contract and manage to find a way to sign Ladd next year.

Hossa is not a 35+ contract.

He can retire.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Hossa is not a 35+ contract.

He can retire.

yep he can, but he makes $4M next year and then 4 years of $1M.  I doubt he walks away from it though next season.

Matt Fraser is an interesting piece in the deal to me, going to Chicago along with Ladd.

He started with Dallas and in his first two years at the AHL scored 37 and 33 goals as a kid, he is not small, six foot one and over two hundred pounds, he went to boston in the Seguin deal and I remember reading Chiarelli said he was a 'must have' piece for the deal to happen.

He went to Boston and it all fell apart, he kind of lost his game as a net front presence and he took several steps backward. He was given up on, donated to the Oilers last year who also found him wanting, and has been lost and forgotten in Manitoba this year.

Chicago has zero depth among their bottom six, Guys named Hinostra, Rasmussen and Kero dot the roster and have for the most part not distinguished themselves. Given a shot, told to play third line minutes and be responsible in his own zone Fraser could be valuable. Not saying he will be, just saying stranger things have happened. Here was a kid who scored 70 goals his first two years as a pro so he obviously has some talent, Bowman and Quenneville have a history of finding hidden gems, he could be a valuable cog if given a chance.

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Pure rental by the looks of it. Watch Ladd sign back in Wpg in July! Seriously, it could actually happen.

Yeah, if that's the case good move for the Jets.

I suppose the Stars, Kings and Ducks will have something to say about it, but my money is on Chicago for the Cup.

Washington, you ask?   They won't be in the finals, so not relevant.

Make sure you bookmark this so you can remember where you heard it first.  :hyper:

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It would have been Byfuglien if he hadn't opened his mouth and told everyone how great Winnipeg was.  (Still doing a WTF over that one.)  How is it that he'd rather be in Winnipeg than go back to Chicago to win another Stanley Cup? Strange.  :ermm:

Not really. Those comments Buff made was pure PR. And good PR. They obviously had a deal or were close to one when he made those comments. Ladd reportedly turned down $36M over 6 years. So, while they treated him kind of shabbily, they were consistent in how they dealt with Frolik, whom they chose not to sign over ~$500K

Besides, Wpg is close to home for Buff and he likes to fish and stuff. I don't think he necessarily wants to live in Toronto or New York.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Ladd reportedly turned down $36M over 6 years. So, while they treated him kind of shabbily

Offering him $36M and then sending him to a legit Cup contender was "treating him kind of shabbily"?

Can someone treat me as shabbily, please? :cool[1]:

17 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Stan Bowman pulled off a coup getting Andrew Andrew Ladd - Northwest Athlete Profiles, Winnipeg Jets, Maple Ridge ...ladd and Defenseman Jay Harrison from the Jets for a package including Marko Dano. The Jets also get a conditional pick which will likely be a late first rounder.

Wow. That is all I have to say is wow.

This is the deal the Hawks absolutely needed to make with the West tightening up and Kane slowing down. Ladd brings scoring and leadership back to Chicago.

Dano is with his third organization in less than a year, not certain why he hasnt clicked he has talent but it hasnt translated.

Couldn't agree more.  With 3 Cups in 6 years the Hawks are playing with house money. As long as you have Kane and Toews and Keith in their primes you go for it every year. Damn the future.

Finding gems like Panarin kinda help, too.

18 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Chicago has had zero, I mean zero depth among the forwards, losing Hossa who was playing lousy anyway was crippling. Huge statement move for all the haters out there who said the Hawks would suck this year, number one they dont, and number two they just got massively better.

But a first and a solid prospect is a good return, Ladd will be an UFA and the Hawks will be unable to retain him while Dano could be a middle six forward for a decade.

that would be me :)

I don't think anyone figured on Kane having an outlier season of the level he is having and Panarin being a rookie on pace for nearly 80 points, outscoring Toews by nearly 15 points so far lol.

but yeah, I admit, I was way off

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Not really. Those comments Buff made was pure PR. And good PR. They obviously had a deal or were close to one when he made those comments. Ladd reportedly turned down $36M over 6 years. So, while they treated him kind of shabbily, they were consistent in how they dealt with Frolik, whom they chose not to sign over ~$500K

Besides, Wpg is close to home for Buff and he likes to fish and stuff. I don't think he necessarily wants to live in Toronto or New York.

I would have sent him packing too then.

He is 30 years old and declining. 5 million a year is what he deserves if he wants 6 years

21 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I do not understand why Winnipeg would deal Ladd to Chicago?  Why?

I moved your post to get some perspectives from others.

Chances are here Ladd will be back with the Jets next season.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

I moved your post to get some perspectives from others.

Think so? He turned down 6 mil over 6 years reportedly(at his age, lol). Jets have an internal cap. Trouba needing a new contract + Buff's extension killed odds that Ladd returns.

I almost wonder if he will end up a Leaf to be honest.

Ehlers is blossoming into that 1st line winger role and with Ladd gone and Little out for the rest of the year, we will see what he can do up front for the next 20.

Kyle Connors looks to be NHL ready as soon as next year.

Ill bet Wheeler gets captaincy. Buff would be considered, but I just feel it will be Wheeler.

Their top 6 isn't looking too bad without Ladd.

Wheeler/Ehlers/Little/Scheifele/Perreault/Stafford

With the possibility of Connors coming.

Lowry/Burmistrov/Thorburn and some filler in the bottom 6. Armia is coming along, and Dano might snag a spot

22 hours ago, hf101 said:

I don't know how good the chances are, I'm just saying it's possible. We don't really know what the end of Ladd's conversation with Chevy looked like. If it's true that he turned down $36M/6 years, pride and other things may well get in the way, but who knows. There was never any outward sign of acrimony between them. It was handled with class by all, even if it was a bit awkward. Their may be a space for them to continue a conversation and lot s of fans would love to have him back (at the right price). 

45 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I don't know how good the chances are, I'm just saying it's possible. We don't really know what the end of Ladd's conversation with Chevy looked like. If it's true that he turned down $36M/6 years, pride and other things may well get in the way, but who knows. There was never any outward sign of acrimony between them. It was handled with class by all, even if it was a bit awkward. Their may be a space for them to continue a conversation and lot s of fans would love to have him back (at the right price). 

Would not be surprised to see him go to Toronto

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Me neither. They could use a player of his grit and character. But just not as their #1 Center.

My guess is they like Kadri's development under babs and want to move Bozak and promote Nylander next year. hell, they just promoted him now

Archived